Visiting DR with my dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I never said it was cheaper to fly them with me, I said that I have left them in a kennel for a long period of time before and it was not good for them. They didn't adjust well. Also, there are no direct flights from Toronto to Santo Domingo, which is why AA booked me on evening connecting flights. You cannot travel with a pet on any airline if the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary. My vet said as long as the temperature is below 29 they will be fine.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I've re-read everything I've written, several times. Please tell me where I stated that I am more worried about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than the dogs? I personally think my dogs will be fine. They have travelled across Canada and the US with me. Can't see how this is any different? My dogs are a lifelong commitment. Won't be pawning them off on anyone.

see underlined..
and there is the core of the problem..

its been explained to you WHY and HOW (although perhaps not to your liking ) by people who live there , and you either choose to not read it or cant grasp it..

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
haha, oops, my bad Harleysrock :p

The heat: dogs will survive, they do here and they do there
The fleas, ticks, heartworms: got medication
Dogs might get away: same possibility here, they are micro-chipped and always on a leash, as is the law in Toronto
My friends don't want my dogs there: they offered me a place for me AND my dogs
Dogs will bark and offend people: highly unlikely because they don't here
Dogs might get poisoned: same possibility in Toronto, but highly unlikely
Many people in the DR have dogs as pets, including many of you fine commenters who are dead set against me bringing my pets. Why didn't you leave your animals behind? Why do you own any animals if this is such a ****ty environment for them?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Travel Tip

WestJet gave me this one....freeze the water in the dog bowl of the crate.
No spills and lasts a while
I still had water on arrival from Toronto last November.........
left the house at 5am - arrived at 2:30pm..... still some water & ice

about 2 cups frozen in the bowl

I still see no fuss about travelling with them
I was crazy enough to drive from Philadelphia to Miami to fly BoBo.... 2-3 day road trip plus a flight and 2 more hours on the road from SDQ to Cabrera.

It appears these dogs are flying as checked luggage, not cargo..... there's a difference
last in - first out

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cargo usually means a separate drop off at the cargo facility several hours in advance.
Really lengthens the trip for the dogs... and then a separate facility for pickup to frustrate the process further.

In SDQ recently, my friends were asked for $2,000 to pick up the dogs at cargo... out of reach of airport personnel .
That's US $$ people

they argued it down to something less
considering the entry is 400 pesos +/-

they knew no better... first time in

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I don't have a problem with people's opinions. I do have a problem with people being rude, insulting, and personal attacks against me on my post, those are all contrary to the forum rules. That's just belittling and isn't conducive to an actual conversation, imho.

Andrea, I have read all the posts and IMHO the advice was on point and not rude at all.

Sorry you feel that way.

Take the advice given however you feel like.

We are done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.