Visiting the DR for between 4 and 6 months

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey, it is good to hear that there are lawyers here who recognize these problems. Who are the lawyers that people can contact? I certainly hope that Dr. Guzman is one of them.

If each interested person goes to his or her own lawyer here in the DR, asking if they are part of this group and requesting, should they NOT be, that they become involved, then I believe the power will grow.

I don't feel at liberty to give out the name of the attorney sharing this information with me without first asking permission.

Lindsey

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
DR REgs

Some real world examples of the concerns people are having now.

I have a friend who rents condos in Cabarete... this week she had a Canadian couple cancel a 6 month rental for the coming winter due to this.

I also have a friend from Germany who for 10 years has travelled to Cabarete 3 times a year for a total of 15 weeks annually. She recently requested and received a 1 year sabbatical to begin next spring, with intentions to spend about 9 months in Cabarete. Now she's thinking that won't be possible.

I know an owner of 11 rental condos on the north coast worth probably $3 million in total. He travels here for a week or two every month. It seems such frequent travel may pose an issue under new rules... and as he's out of the country for more than 6 months annually, so residency isn't a solution..

I know a kite school owner, Dominican residency, who travels out of the country during low season - more than 6 months annually. In theory, this means a loss of residency status and inability to work at the business.

The new law, while not all bad, will intentionally or unintentionally create hardships if some of these issues aren't addressed quickly. People are starting to act upon now, as to 'just wait and see' could have significant financial repercussions. Hopefully some true clarification is coming soon so that people can plan their lives accordingly. The DR can establish whatever rules it likes, I just hope they find a way to accommodate those that are falling into an abyss with the way the law is currently written.

As an aside, extending a tourist stay from 60 to 120 days with requirement of a medical exam is insane - because if nothing changes, it would require multiple trips to the capital (take tests, return for results & extension, etc). Allow people to go to immigration at the airport and simply request and pay for an extension is fine, or allow them to get the extension on arrival so that no return visit is necessary to get permission to stay 120 days.

WHOOSH !!!! sound of investors and money leaving !!

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
I'd relax, if I were you.

Getting residency, from what I hear, just ain't all that hard, and comes with all sorts of benefits. It is NOT the same as applying for citizenship. I just read the requirements put up by Mr. Guzman in the legal section, and honestly, what is the big deal?

In the US, most states require non-students to apply for residency within 4-8 weeks of arrival. The DR government has a vested interest in being aware of and tracking foreign nationals, just like the folk in our home countries. They are also giving preferential status to those with substantial assets, or some form of permanent income, just like other countries.

So, forgive me if I don't understand why paying a lawyer a few thousand pesos is tantamount to the world coming to an end.

".....blah blah blah....the state ,,,,blah blah blah ... the state......blah... blah...the state ....."

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Sigh... I support them trying to regulate immigration in the Dominican Republic, but here is like every ministry is doing whatever the hell they want without input from anyone else. I think this confusion is going to hurt the tourism industry so much... :S

ejl293

May 29, 2012
".....blah blah blah....the state ,,,,blah blah blah ... the state......blah... blah...the state ....."

DROB please tell me the benefits from residency? AND the name of the attorney doing residency for a few thousand pesos?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Sigh... I support them trying to regulate immigration in the Dominican Republic, but here is like every ministry is doing whatever the hell they want without input from anyone else. I think this confusion is going to hurt the tourism industry so much... :S

All of this confusion is absolutely going to hurt tourism and it seem it already has. This reminds me of all the talk about Sosua being clean of prostitutes a few years ago when the new mayor came in. Many guys cancelled their trip because of what they were hearing which wasn't necessarily the truth....but from forums like this which are not always the most reliable source.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
All of this confusion is absolutely going to hurt tourism and it seem it already has. This reminds me of all the talk about Sosua being clean of prostitutes a few years ago when the new mayor came in. Many guys cancelled their trip because of what they were hearing which wasn't necessarily the truth....but from forums like this which are not always the most reliable source.

I hear ya. The problem is that because there's no clear answer, it's even worse than hearing rumours. People are calling the consulates and embassy and not getting straight answers... because Migracion hasn't shared information with anyone, they simply came out and said this, same as it happened with their disposition for the Ministry of Education, which was ultimately rejected by them...

Zulu

May 27, 2012
I can not wait for the U.S to lift the embargo on Cuba, they have the best beaches and i doubt the real estate prices would be anything like they are in the D.R. The Russians and Italians have already started investing heavily so have the Chinese, i am counting the days. Then i won't have to deal with these hidden fees "Residencia Permit," sounds like Persona non Grata to me.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I think you're the one missing the point, windeguy. And I'm sure I'll be up all night fretting about your "disliking" me on some board....:tired:

So we're clear, let's make sure we know who we're talking about:

We're fretting over Canadian snowbirds who have the means and desire to maintain simultaneous residency in two countries. The first country gives them "free" healthcare, and the second gives them all sorts of other benefits. :bunny: For whatever reason, they find it impossible to do a quick trip to DR during the Canadian summer to reestablish their residency bona fides.

Sound about right?

In your "dislike" post to me, you complain about the rigors of dealing with multiple governments, while you clearly have no problems extracting the inherent benefits of your government system (I know, the IDEA of government healthcare is fundamentally evil, while the canadian-style PRACTICE of it is a wonderful thing you're afraid of losing).

My point being, if these people want to game the system(s) and extract maximum benefit, they should be willing to ante up, meaning take an extra trip. Or, they could just reapply every year as required (it's just not that hard or expensive, man).

I'm sure the DR government will, in it's own good time, come up with some sort of workaround, but let's keep one thing in mind. DR isn't OUR country. It's theirs, and we are allowed to travel, visit, become residents or even citizens largely as a matter of courtesy and goodwill on their parts. Yes, we do provide some financial benefit to their economy, but it's still their call.

So again, lighten up. But whatever you do, please don't dislike this post. I'd be beside myself with grief. :rolleyes:

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
I can not wait for the U.S to lift the embargo on Cuba, they have the best beaches and i doubt the real estate prices would be anything like they are in the D.R. The Russians and Italians have already started investing heavily so have the Chinese, i am counting the days. Then i won't have to deal with these hidden fees "Residencia Permit," sounds like Persona non Grata to me.

Zulu, you would still have to have some sort of permit to live and work in a country different than yours. And depending on the type of business the government still owns 50% of the company. There are 181 authorized trades that can become "private" businesses. So your only limitation would not be the embargo.

I read this on Pellerano & Herrera, does anyone know if this still applies?

Residencia para Pensionados y/o RetiradosEl procedimiento de obtenci?n de la residencia para pensionados o retirados solo tarda cuarenta y cinco (45) d?as laborales, el mismo tiene una validez de un (1) a?o, pudiendo dicho permiso ser renovado cada dos (2) a?os, una vez llegado su vencimiento.Para solicitar este permiso de residencia, los extranjeros pensionados deber?n recibir un ingreso mensual m?nimo de US$1,500.00, mientras que los retirados deber?n haber recibido la cantidad de US$2,000.00 mensuales, durante los ?ltimos cinco (5) a?os, debiendo los solicitantes, para esta ?ltima, aportar los recibos de env?o de dicha cantidad a laRep?blica Dominicana.

Inmigracion en Republica Dominicana

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I think you're the one missing the point, windeguy. And I'm sure I'll be up all night fretting about your "disliking" me on some board....:tired:

We're fretting over Canadian snowbirds who have the means and desire to maintain simultaneous residency in two countries. The first country gives them "free" healthcare, and the second gives them all sorts of other benefits. :bunny: For whatever reason, they find it impossible to do a quick trip to DR during the Canadian summer to reestablish their residency bona fides.

Sound about right?

In your "dislike" post to me, you complain about the rigors of dealing with multiple governments, while you clearly have no problems extracting the inherent benefits of your government system (I know, the IDEA of government healthcare is fundamentally evil, while the canadian-style PRACTICE of it is a wonderful thing you're afraid of losing).

My point being, if these people want to game the system(s) and extract maximum benefit, they should be willing to ante up, meaning take an extra trip. Or, they could just reapply every year as required (it's just not that hard or expensive, man).

I'm sure the DR government will, in it's own good time, come up with some sort of workaround, but let's keep one thing in mind. DR isn't OUR country. It's theirs, and we are allowed to travel, visit, become residents or even citizens largely as a matter of courtesy and goodwill on their parts. Yes, we do provide some financial benefit to their economy, but it's still their call.

So again, lighten up. But whatever you do, please don't dislike this post. I'd be beside myself with grief. :rolleyes:

Why would anyone, Canadian or otherwise, even consider Dominican Residency, when all they want to do is come to the DR for ONE 4 - 6 month vacation, ONCE...not necessarily every year? Who's talking about anyone trying to "game the system"?

If they choose to stay and/or come back again, year after year, that's another story, as windeguy stated.

In addition to making applying for and maintaining legal residency status more difficult, enforcing these laws effectively disallow casual visits to this country for more than 60 days. Very few people looking to vacation somewhere for a few months would ever consider going through legal red-tape, trips to the capital and medical exams, etc. to be able to stay more than the initial 60 days.

Other countries may have stricter guidelines, procedures, etc. but it doesn't change the fact that the DR should be doing everything possible to attract more visitors, and IMO long-term residents, snow-birds, large and small investors, ex-pats, etc., not enact and promote laws and procedures that achieve the absolute opposite effect....

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Why would anyone, Canadian or otherwise, even consider Dominican Residency, when all they want to do is come to the DR for ONE 4 - 6 month vacation, ONCE...not necessarily every year? Who's talking about anyone trying to "game the system"?

If they choose to stay and/or come back again, year after year, that's another story, as windeguy stated.

In addition to making applying for and maintaining legal residency status more difficult, enforcing these laws effectively disallow casual visits to this country for more than 60 days. Very few people looking to vacation somewhere for a few months would ever consider going through legal red-tape, trips to the capital and medical exams, etc. to be able to stay more than the initial 60 days.

Other countries may have stricter guidelines, procedures, etc. but it doesn't change the fact that the DR should be doing everything possible to attract more visitors, and IMO long-term residents, snow-birds, large and small investors, ex-pats, etc., not enact and promote laws and procedures that achieve the absolute opposite effect....

DaveZ,

Fully agree, but certain people got snippy over residency laws, especially because the dedicated thread on the topic lost steam some time ago.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am sure from what you wrote below the new regulations have no effect upon you. If you read throuh this thread you will notice that there are others who strongly disagree with your point of my, not just myslef.

Sound about right?

NO, you are missing the point again. Why would a Canadian snowbird make a quick trip to Canada in the Canadian summer if they were already there in Canada?

A snowbird is a person that escapes to the DR to spend between 1 day to under 7 months in the DR. If they spend 7 months out of the country during the winter months. I understand a Canadian will lose their health care until they are back in Canada for three months. If they do not spend at least 6 months in the DR they will lose Dominican Residency.

I have zero benefits from the Canadian government system since I am not Canadian.

These people are not attempting to game any system. They just want to vacation in the DR for up to 6 months. Applying for residency is costly, annoying and time consuming. I know because I am a Dominican resident. Your suggestion that people who want to vacation here could reapply for residency each year is a ridiculous one.

The only thing I agree with that you wrote, but only time will tell on that.

So again, lighten up. But whatever you do, please don't dislike this post. I'd be beside myself with grief. :rolleyes:,

Your post is so far off the mark I can only guess that you don't want to understand the problem.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
My wife and I are retired Canadians.

It is our goal to NOT experience a COLD Canadian winter (again).

We spent 5 months, last winter, in the DR. I would like to do the same this winter.
Last winter we made many friends in the DR. If we don’t return, I will miss them. I am sure they will miss my money.

I heard there are changes to the DR visas

I called the DR consulate and they said to spend 5 months in the DR. I must....
-Get a police report
-Get a medical report for drugs and HIV
-Get an original Birth Certificate. My wife, who was not born in Canada, must get one from her Embassy.
-A marriage certificate
-Get guarantor letter stating they will be financially responsible for me
-a Bank lettter, a copy of last income tax filed, property letters
-a Work letter
Send all this plus $90 each, and our passports.

Holly S___ ! I just want to be warm this winter.

I don’t understand all these new requirements. If I was a HIV infected, drug dealing, criminal, with no money.... I could just book a one week holiday at a AI resort. No questions asked. I would be in your country, doing what ever.

If I am a retired law abiding Canadian, planing my winter away from the snow, four months in advance.... then bend over, we have to check there too.

If the DR doesn’t want Snowbird. I get the message.... I won’t come.

I am doing all my planning now. I can’t wait for the DR to get is over zealousness in order. Maybe next winter.

I am now looking at Cuba. As a Canadian I can spend 3 months there, pay $40 and spend a morning in a line up (in any provincial Capital) and extend my stay to 6 months.

The Canary Island also sound good to.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Thats crazy and just plain stupid, but we have seen many stupid things for sure.
I saw this coming , however I would not get my head in a knot just yet becasue this is going to chase
tourism away which is precisely what they dont need.
It sounds like they think you are applying for residency:tired:

I still suggest before forging ahead with things to wait on all this to see what really happens.
Rules and "laws" change in the DR just as fast as they are made.:ermm:

There is alot of speculation on this thread, lets get some more facts in place first.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I explained to the nice lady at the Consulate that all I wanted to do was spend 5 months of my winter (winter here is 7 months). I said several times.... this is a lot to do to just to visit.

She insisted this is what I had to do now (she even emailed it to me)...........

RESIDENCY VISA REQUIREMENTS

You must submit in person or mail the following documents:

1. Completed Visa Application Form
2. Original valid passport or travel document valid for at least 1 year
3. Photocopy of all used pages on the passport or travel document
4. Photocopy of your Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or your valid Canadian multiple entry visa (if applicable)
5. A photograph, the frame size must be 30 mm x 30 mm and stamped indicating date of photograph; photograph must not be older than 6 months. The photograph must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
6. Original National Police Report
7. Original medical certificate with laboratory tests for doping (drugs) and HIV
8. Photocopy of Birth Certificate Note: If you were born outside of Canada, you must first certify your birth certificate as an authentic document from your country of birth at the country’s consulate or embassy in Canada.
9. Photocopy of Marriage Certificate (if applicable) Note: If you were married outside of Canada, you must first certify your marriage certificate as an authentic document from the country where you were married at the country’s consulate or embassy in Canada.
10. Original guarantor letter testifying the applicant’s identity, how long the guarantor has known the applicant, their relationship, and that the guarantor if needed will take responsibility of the applicant’s financial necessities and/or be contacted to oversee the applicant’s deportation from the country if he/she fails to comply with the laws of the Dominican Republic.
11. Bank letter specifying the date the savings or chequing account was opened, the annual average or balance maintained in the account, as well as the date of the last deposit. You may also include other documentation such us property title, business licence, last income tax filed, retirement funds etc.
12. Work letter (if applicable)
13. Processing fee of USD90.00, payable in cash if in person if not by money order or certified cheque to the Dominican Republic Consulate.

NOTE: WHEN MAILING YOUR DOCUMENTS PLEASE INCLUDE A SELF-ADDRESSED PREPAID EXPRESS ENVELOPE.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thats crazy and just plain stupid, but we have seen many stupid things for sure.
I saw this coming , however I would not get my head in a knot just yet becasue this is going to chase
tourism away which is precisely what they dont need.
It sounds like they think you are applying for residency:tired:

I still suggest before forging ahead with things to wait on all this to see what really happens.
Rules and "laws" change in the DR just as fast as they are made.:ermm:

There is alot of speculation on this thread, lets get some more facts in place first.

As of right now, the facts are as posted by aname4me. And those facts are simply absurd. I have personal contact with two other people that were told exactly the same things.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Ludicrous

:disappoin
I explained to the nice lady at the Consulate that all I wanted to do was spend 5 months of my winter (winter here is 7 months). I said several times.... this is a lot to do to just to visit.

She insisted this is what I had to do now (she even emailed it to me)...........

4. Photocopy of your Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or your valid Canadian multiple entry visa (if applicable)
5. A photograph, the frame size must be 30 mm x 30 mm and stamped indicating date of photograph; photograph must not be older than 6 months. The photograph must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
7. Original medical certificate with laboratory tests for doping (drugs) and HIV
8. Photocopy of Birth Certificate Note: If you were born outside of Canada, you must first certify your birth certificate as an authentic document from your country of birth at the country?s consulate or embassy in Canada.
9. Photocopy of Marriage Certificate (if applicable) Note: If you were married outside of Canada, you must first certify your marriage certificate as an authentic document from the country where you were married at the country?s consulate or embassy in Canada.
10. Original guarantor letter testifying the applicant?s identity, how long the guarantor has known the applicant, their relationship, and that the guarantor if needed will take responsibility of the applicant?s financial necessities and/or be contacted to oversee the applicant?s deportation from the country if he/she fails to comply with the laws of the Dominican Republic.
11. Bank letter specifying the date the savings or chequing account was opened, the annual average or balance maintained in the account, as well as the date of the last deposit. You may also include other documentation such us property title, business licence, last income tax filed, retirement funds etc.
13. Processing fee of USD90.00, payable in cash if in person if not by money order or certified cheque to the Dominican Republic Consulate.

NOTE: WHEN MAILING YOUR DOCUMENTS PLEASE INCLUDE A SELF-ADDRESSED PREPAID EXPRESS ENVELOPE.

These regulations are ludicrous and a turn off for a long stay visitor!
Canada and the US have many citizens and permanent residents of many nations.
To comply with all the requirements contacting various governments, waiting time and paper war is a complete turn off for a potential long stay visitor for up to six months. In addition are all the associated costs.
It would be worth it for a residency, NOT for a long stay (up to six months) visitor.
The country has a net gain from those visitors and should be thankful for the revenue, especially in this global recession. Most of these visitors are North American and European.
The real estate market will be severely affected by this.
I hope the DR government will reconsider this legislation at the soonest.
Pichardo talk to your people, you do have pull don't you? :tired:

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Lab

8. Photocopy of Birth Certificate Note: If you were born outside of Canada, you must first certify your birth certificate as an authentic document from your country of birth at the country?s consulate or embassy in Canada.
9. Photocopy of Marriage Certificate (if applicable) Note: If you were married outside of Canada, you must first certify your marriage certificate as an authentic document from the country where you were married at the country?s consulate or embassy in Canada.
10. Original guarantor letter testifying the applicant?s identity, how long the guarantor has known the applicant, their relationship, and that the guarantor if needed will take responsibility of the applicant?s financial necessities and/or be contacted to oversee the applicant?s deportation from the country if he/she fails to comply with the laws of the Dominican Republic.

Another turn off would be lab tests and a med certificate for a visit!!!