Vladimir Guerrero Jr. lost over 40 pounds in off-season, vows to be better prepared. So far it’s paid off

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The ball, four-seam heat, arrives at the plate straight, hard and no-nonsense.
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. waits for it to come to him rather than jump out at the offering just below his knees.
Bat whips through the box with torque ferocity, barrelling contact, 114 m.p.h. crack off the ash, a low line drive that just clears the fence in left field.

Solo shot, only his second round-tripper of the spring campaign but executed with authority. In the dugout, Guerrero semaphores the ritual pantomime shtick with teammates: fist-bumps, high-fives, finger to the nose.
A grin splits his face.
A few hours earlier, he’d said this: “I’ve never considered myself a home run hitter.’’....

Reactions: Michael DR

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Rooting for the guy. Shows a ton of humility which is rare in a 22 year old star with his pedigree. I'm just glad he's in the American League.

This is a tad bit insulting towards him, and his family, who I happen to know.
If you knew more about his family, and how they carry themselves, you would understand that IT IS BECAUSE of his pedigree, that he is as such. He, and them are not alone. There are many.
Unfortunately, it is another segment of society and their misfortunes that all too often grab the top headlines.
Alchohol, drugs and scandals feed certain public desire, not the good family stories.

Reactions: Africaida

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If you knew more about his family, and how they carry themselves, you would understand that IT IS BECAUSE of his pedigree, that he is as such. He, and them are not alone. There are many.
Unfortunately, it is another segment of society and their misfortunes that all too often grab the top headlines.
Alchohol, drugs and scandals feed certain public desire, not the good family stories.

I don't see how it's insulting. It was not intended to be so.

There are so many athletes and other celebrities that put themselves on pedestals for us common folk to worship. He ain't one of them by all appearances. I'm happy for him.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Unfortunately the dark underbelly of the internet is what most people live for.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Since the article referenced her "churning out pots of rice and beans" I can't accurately answer your question. But it leads to another from me: what wine pairings did you offer with them?

On another note, Blue Jays won opening day 3-2 in the 10th yesterday over the Yankees.
Cotui native Teoscar Hernandez tied the game in the 6th with a HR. 3 hits, 2 runs, 1 RBI in 4 at bats.
Vlad had 1 hit, 1 walk in 2 at bats.
Blue Jays have 3 Dominican-born players and 1 Canadian-born Dominican player on the current roster.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Since the article referenced her "churning out pots of rice and beans" I can't accurately answer your question. But it leads to another from me: what wine pairings did you offer with them?

On another note, Blue Jays won opening day 3-2 in the 10th yesterday over the Yankees.
Cotui native Teoscar Hernandez tied the game in the 6th with a HR. 3 hits, 2 runs, 1 RBI in 4 at bats.
Vlad had 1 hit, 1 walk in 2 at bats.
Blue Jays have 3 Dominican-born players and 1 Canadian-born Dominican player on the current roster.

Looking forward to cheering them on next week!

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Blue Jays lost Saturday but won Sunday to win the series against the Yankees.
Vlad hit his first HR of the season Sunday off fellow Dominican pitcher Domingo German.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
His family is from near our home, we pass this all the time. The house/compound at the top of the big hill is theirs. Nizao is very proud of them.
7D724877-5ABD-4E8F-9387-FA028D6DCF5A.jpeg

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Three homers in one game - seventh youngest to do it. Second link says he is youngest to hit three - including a grand slam - in one game. Baseball has so many stats...

Reactions: AlaPlaya