Volunteer work

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
I have been thinking about stuff like the meaning of life and what we people are realy, really intended to achieve before we kick the bucket?

Is the meaning of life, to run around like a rat in a treadmill, and increase the profit of your emlpoyer and collect "things" and savings in the bank? He who has the most "things" when he dies, is the winner in the game of life! Yeah?

So... here's what I am driving at: I have been thinking of doing volunteer work! Try to put to use my experience and humble skills to those who normally can not pay for it.

Does anybody know of organizations in DR that I can contact?

Or maybe I am just naive...

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
There are a good many opportunities here for volunteer work. Some of them are church based, some government based, and others are lead by non-profit organizations. I suppose there are probably some efforts led by multi-national companies although I am not aware of what they are.

You can do everything from building houses for the poor to teaching English to religious evangelization. Let us know what type of work would interest you and how much time could you invest here and maybe we can help you out more. BTW, there might be a (very) few opportunities that would actually pay you to work here if you fit the qualifications.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for the comments! Appreciated!

Briefly about what kind of work I could do. Hm... Well, I have been foreman in a warehouse (120.000 line items), manager for a purchasing department (turnover 50 mil. US $), dealt with supply chain management, quality management, basic computer training, organize conferences.

I guess I have pretty much a "theoretical" background. I mean to say, I would be useless in supervising the actual building of a house. But I could supervise the supervisors, if you know what I mean.

I am not too good at the Spanish lingo, but I speak three to four other languages (depending on the requirements)! So maybe some kind of language training or "cultural" training for Dominicans who need to learn about international contacts? I dunno?

The amount of time? I was thinking of full time! Whatever that is in DR?

About religious organizations: Do I have to be religious to work for them?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Volunteer work is big business here in the DR, many organisations come up with bright ideas to help in order to attract grants from the US and other countries that pretend like they care.

Cancer research, the reeducation of prostitutes and prevention of child labor get alot of attention and cash, but don't seem to actually get much done.

Construction projects are largely subsidized by organized criminals looking to launder money and so there are building projects all over the place.

I am not saying there are no sincere people in these fields, but my impression since living here is that this is very commercialized. I spent alot of my youth doing different volunteer projects in different countries, (most of it with a religious slant) and I find that most organisations are more concerned with fund raising and publicity than getting any real results.

I've met alot of Peace Corp volunteers down here and I think they are great people but I'm not really sure they are getting much accomplished - they try to teach things like crop rotation to farmers that are ruining their land and birth control to people who would otherwise become single parents (or who already have) but either there are not enough of them or no one is listening.

The main reason I stopped doing volunteer work is that I found most people want an excuse for their problems much more than they want a solution. (they'll usually settle for a diversion, too but that's only short term)

In terms of bigger issues like curing cancer and winning the "war on drugs" I am convinced that the institutions dedicated to this lay awake at night fearful of their own success, which would also mean their destruction.

If you really want to help come set up a functional business and prove to your employees and customers that you can be successful without getting handouts or being a criminal. You won't be cannonized (I am sure that is misspelled) but you will make a difference.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just one 'n' I think....

But you made a lot of good points for a young feller..

I was gonna suggest the Peace Corps to the guy. At least it isn't religious organized. He might try Habitat for Humanity. Maybe CARE can use him.

I really like your idea of starting a small business here and showing folks how it can be done...

HB

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I would have to agree that in order to truly help people, you generally have to look past the immediate need. Also, I believe it to be true that most charity work sees few results. Either it seeks to treat the immediate need and the underlying problems go untreated or it seeks to meet the underlying need and either mistreats it or successfully treats it, but sees relatively few near-term results because it takes so much time and so many resources. In that sense, I would have to agree with MrMike.

Also, I don't think the decision to try to help others through the private sector is a bad one. Over a long period of time it might be that he can really make a difference and profit personally at the same time.

While everyone will have a different idea of how to help their neighbor, that doesn't negate our responsibility to do so. The volunteer route can be a great experience. I would however, personally, as was mentioned, be very careful in finding an organization with a philosophy similar to my own. Some best find it in the private sector. I work as a missionary. Others work in other areas.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks!

Well, you guys gave me some valuable bits and pieces of info there. Muchas gracias! Need to put up my feet now and do some serious thinking...

Starting a small business, huh? Interesting! Very interesting! I think a mixed one might be the best, maybe perhaps?

With what then? Export of Dominican handicraft? (Maybe easier to export than to import, what with the nightmares I have been reading 'bout in connection to the latter!?). And then I might even generate an income of a peso or two for local artists! And "exotic" handicraft might have a market in Europe? What do I know?

Targeted specialized, personalized tourism? Hm, maybe? Group of students of music, learning about the Caribbean music scene. I will set up workshops with local musicians?

That way, I get my business/ occupation, Dominicans get an income and a exposure and non-Dominicans get to know more about the good things created in the Republic!

Gotta learn some Spanish first though... Shudda thought about this 25 years ago! Dang! Sigh...

dhyantami

Dec 14, 2003
www.zen-village.com
fair trade

I am living in Las Terrenas since july and doing voluntary work in a small non profit organization to improve the sanitary system... In my country (Spain) I was combining the "normal job" to keep my expenses with voluntary work in different ngo's. Visiting one of the villages in this area (El Limon) a friend told me about a group of women working in handcraft that I will be visiting in two days. My idea is to see if it would be possible to start a program with Europe/USA focused on Fair Trade. It is just the beginning but if you are interested we could explore that together. My background in my previous jobs was in marketing/retail/business consultancy.

Tami

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004

Thanks Tami,

I have e-mailed you via this message board. Hopefully it works!

Regards,
Voyager

earlady

Mar 7, 2004
Hi,
I started volunteering in the DR in 1996 with an American non-profit called Orphanage Outreach. They are a wonderful group and you might want to stick your toe in that way. Their website is www.orphanage-outreach.org.
Out of that I started a hearing aid project called Hearts for Hearing and we have provided about 1250 hearing aids to kids in the DR since 1998. I love the work when I'm there - I have a great group of people that work with me. The biggest pain in the rear end is raising the money to buy the hearing aids and supplies. Anyway, back to Orphanage Outreach. We work with orphanages in Monte Cristi and Esperanza primarily and it's a wonderfully positive, life-changing experience. Good luck in your search.
Earlady
Voyager said:
I have been thinking about stuff like the meaning of life and what we people are realy, really intended to achieve before we kick the bucket?

Is the meaning of life, to run around like a rat in a treadmill, and increase the profit of your emlpoyer and collect "things" and savings in the bank? He who has the most "things" when he dies, is the winner in the game of life! Yeah?

So... here's what I am driving at: I have been thinking of doing volunteer work! Try to put to use my experience and humble skills to those who normally can not pay for it.

Does anybody know of organizations in DR that I can contact?

Or maybe I am just naive...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Private Help

Hola Tami,
very interesting, indeed.
I have thought about setting up a revolving fund for local women. My favourite place would be Los Puentes, 6 km from Las Terrenas, that?s near where I live.
The aim would be to give small loans to members of a group to start small scale businesses. The group members are to administer the funds and decide on whom to give the loans to.
I gained some experience in that field when I worked in Kenya (about 20 years back).
Feel free to call me (248-2803) or send me a PM.
M?frog

ecibjkub

Jan 26, 2008
I am sorry to hear all of the skepticism related to volunteerism. I began working as a volunteer in the DR seven years ago and have more recently started an organization dedicated to channeling volunteer groups and individuals to work to improve local communities. Like everything, there are corrupt organizations and individuals that look to profit from volunteerism. But, there are many people doing good, respectable work that you can get involved with.

I invite you to check out our website Community Service Alliance - CSADR to learn more about the community development our institution has been involved in.

J

John Evans

Is there some sort of regulatory body for these organisations as I was very dubious about the one I saw which was asking about usd 2000 for a week