Wait a minute......

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
ATT00001.gif

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
No More of a Miracle than the Dominican Wheelchair Brigade who have to be pushed and catered to to get on the Plane , because they all Crippled, and then Walk off the Plane without a problem when Landing .
This man has More Integrity than they do .

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No More of a Miracle than the Dominican Wheelchair Brigade who have to be pushed and catered to to get on the Plane , because they all Crippled, and then Walk off the Plane without a problem when Landing .
This man has More Integrity than they do .
The abuse was so bad that as of August of last year Aeropuertos Dominicanos XXI (Aerodom) now requires documented proof of an individual's need for a wheelchair prior to allowing them to board with one.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The first one is definitely a scam, but there are cases of having a very mild condition which with a cane is greatly eliminated, such as if you have vertigo. If very mild, you can walk without the cane but you will not be walking in a straight line.

There are other things that could be wrong with you as a single issue or as part of the vertigo issue, such as your eyes/brain are not capable of canceling the vibrations everytime you take a step. Unlike normal people who have a steady eyesight while walking, the person no longer capable of doing that will see everything vibrate with every step they take. If mild you can "deal with it" without a cane, but it will not be walking 100% like a normal person. With the cane the risk of fslking is greatly eliminated as it gives extra support.

If you very essily lose balance, which comes with the territory of having even mild vertigo, then you will not "need" the cane most of the times you have it except in those sudden times when either there is a bump or a sudden unseen drop on the pavement where a normal person with normal reflexes will compensate or if trips will quickly rebalance. If you are more prone to lose balance and/ir your reflexes are not what they used to be, simply having a cane will prevent falling in case you trip as it gives extra support and something to hold on.

So while the first one was definitely a scam, there is a chance the second one isn't. It may seem to be one if the person is perfectly fine, but anyone with a mild case of vertigo or mild but higher than normal possibility of losing balance, in a situation like in the second the person can run in short distance to avoid getting hit by a car.

Many people think someone needs to be severely impaired to need a cane 24/7, but in reality most people with a cane have a mild case. The thing is that it's better to have a mild case and carry a cane despite you will not need it 99% for that 1% of the time when you will need to avoid a fall. It certainly is better if you have a mild case, don't carry a cane and then that 1% hits, you fall and perhaps there are broken bones, punctured organs, internal hemorrages that untreated could lead to death, concussion, cracked skull, hit the head so hard on the pavement that you go unconscious, etc.

Al, it takes is to fall once and the wrong way to put an end to your life. That can literally take less than half a second and could had been avoided if only you had a cane.

Last edited:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have had 2 falls lately..... Sept & January.....the 2nd cracked my skull

I have poor balance of late.... old age , I guess..... but unnerving to say the least
Have been considering a cane....,. also helps w/ air travel !! ....haha

First fall was 10 stitches... 2nd was 7 but a much worse fall..... full face plant on cement..... OUCH !!

Getting old ain't for sissies

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have had 2 falls lately..... Sept & January.....the 2nd cracked my skull

I have poor balance of late.... old age , I guess..... but unnerving to say the least
Have been considering a cane....,. also helps w/ air travel !! ....haha

First fall was 10 stitches... 2nd was 7 but a much worse fall..... full face plant on cement..... OUCH !!

Getting old ain't for sissies
How old are you William - I thought you were turning young ladies' heads in your new Mux only a couple years ago
Balance can be helped a lot by going to the gym and lifting light weights, concentrate on the legs, back and core

Reactions: Big

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
To be fair , I didn’t fall, I blacked out
Don’t remember a thing
Get a check up. Blood pressure, diabetes, medication reaction? Got out of bed too quick?
You're not the first that has happened to and it could be several things and maybe nothing serious?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The first one is definitely a scam, but there are cases of having a very mild condition which with a cane is greatly eliminated, such as if you have vertigo. If very mild, you can walk without the cane but you will not be walking in a straight line.

There are other things that could be wrong with you as a single issue or as part of the vertigo issue, such as your eyes/brain are not capable of canceling the vibrations everytime you take a step. Unlike normal people who have a steady eyesight while walking, the person no longer capable of doing that will see everything vibrate with every step they take. If mild you can "deal with it" without a cane, but it will not be walking 100% like a normal person. With the cane the risk of fslking is greatly eliminated as it gives extra support.

If you very essily lose balance, which comes with the territory of having even mild vertigo, then you will not "need" the cane most of the times you have it except in those sudden times when either there is a bump or a sudden unseen drop on the pavement where a normal person with normal reflexes will compensate or if trips will quickly rebalance. If you are more prone to lose balance and/ir your reflexes are not what they used to be, simply having a cane will prevent falling in case you trip as it gives extra support and something to hold on.

So while the first one was definitely a scam, there is a chance the second one isn't. It may seem to be one if the person is perfectly fine, but anyone with a mild case of vertigo or mild but higher than normal possibility of losing balance, in a situation like in the second the person can run in short distance to avoid getting hit by a car.

Many people think someone needs to be severely impaired to need a cane 24/7, but in reality most people with a cane have a mild case. The thing is that it's better to have a mild case and carry a cane despite you will not need it 99% for that 1% of the time when you will need to avoid a fall. It certainly is better if you have a mild case, don't carry a cane and then that 1% hits, you fall and perhaps there are broken bones, punctured organs, internal hemorrages that untreated could lead to death, concussion, cracked skull, hit the head so hard on the pavement that you go unconscious, etc.

Al, it takes is to fall once and the wrong way to put an end to your life. That can literally take less than half a second and could had been avoided if only you had a cane.

I agree. I was suggesting it to my mother who is 88 but she got mad and doesn’t want to. She is British. Lol But I was thinking in a busy airport walking from one gate to another a connecting flight you can easily fall. And you have the people running to their gate and bump into you.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The abuse was so bad that as of August of last year Aeropuertos Dominicanos XXI (Aerodom) now requires documented proof of an individual's need for a wheelchair prior to allowing them to board with one.

Airports/Airlines also are ( were ? ) cautious and strict when it comes to traveling when you have a problem. I guess for liability issues.

A few years ago, my parents came over to visit us in the DR, my father had just had a knee replacement operation and was OBLIGED to be in a wheelchair even though he didnt need it.
On arrival in STI passerbys may have taken him for a " fake", as as soon as he got out of the airport ( where one meets travellers ), he just got up and walked away with us 🤣🤣🤣.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Airports/Airlines also are ( were ? ) cautious and strict when it comes to traveling when you have a problem. I guess for liability issues.

A few years ago, my parents came over to visit us in the DR, my father had just had a knee replacement operation and was OBLIGED to be in a wheelchair even though he didnt need it.
On arrival in STI passerbys may have taken him for a " fake", as as soon as he got out of the airport ( where one meets travellers ), he just got up and walked away with us 🤣🤣🤣.
Sounds very Dominican.