Waiting for Kenyans to arrive?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Without the requisite 500 million USD, the US team will be waiting forever and ever. And that is a long time.

American teams arrived this past Friday in Port-au-Prince, the capital of Haiti, to prepare the facilities that will house the Kenyan security mission to assist the Haitian security forces in their fight against the criminal gangs that practically dominate the city and other points. from the country.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Don't know if this is related to the Kenyan intervention, but.... My wife works at a Cabarete supermarket, she reports a large number of Kenyan "tourists" making purchases in the last week.

Reactions: CristoRey

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Looking at the top shelf.

1714925418373.jpeg
1714925418373.jpeg

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Seems the Kenyan military just completed some training with US and British military...

1) What does that have to do with Haiti?
2) Who is paying 500 million USD to send 1,000 Kenyan "troop" to Haiti?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Windy. The training provided by the Accord increases Kenyan military capability if they intervene in Haiti and, American and Canadian taxpayers are picking up the tab if the Kenyans participate in the Haitian intervention. $500 million US and $50 million Canadian.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy. The training provided by the Accord increases Kenyan military capability if they intervene in Haiti and, American and Canadian taxpayers are picking up the tab if the Kenyans participate in the Haitian intervention. $500 million US and $50 million Canadian.
Last I saw, the US was maxing out at 150 Million USD. So add 50 million CDN and that leaves more than a 300 million USD shortfall for 1,000 Kenyans to be slaughtered in Haiti. Is the US kicking in more than $450 million USD now all of a sudden? I see no way the US upped the number from $150 million USD. So a no go for Kenyans.

I doubt the training in Kenya had anything to do with Haiti, but ya never know these days.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Windy, the CNN article is not current. The current promised Canadian contribution is $91 million US. The current promised US contribution is $333 million. Add another $40 million in equipment promised by Biden and further funding for humanitarian reasons under USAID and the total is approaching $500 million. That doesn’t include financial and in kind contributions from other countries. Factor that in and it exceeds $500 million US.

The May 23rd arrival date for Kenyan forces is not carved in stone. A lot could change between now and then. Money is the main motivator for the Kenyans and political brownie points with the UN is their second motive. The Kenyans aren't going until enough money makes it worthwhile.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas

1... It looks like the Kenyan military has been receiving training from the US and British military in relation to "...carrying out their mission to arrest two high-value targets holed up inside a mock village overrun by a violent extremist organization." . . . "...This multinational exercise built readiness for the U.S. joint force, prepared regional partners for UN and AU mandated missions, and increased multinational interoperability in support of humanitarian assistance, disaster response and crisis response."

The key players in the deployment of Kenyan police (paramilitary) forces to Haiti are the US, the UN, and the AU, and all three were involved in the training Kenyan, along with other AU forces, received.

Although the thinking put forward is that it will be Kenyan police that will go to Haiti, the Kenyan police have a strong contingent of paramilitary-trained members that are used for border defense and putting down internal demonstrations. And who knows if the Kenyan policing force that goes to Haiti will not contain some newly transferred "...former..." military soldiers.

2... It seems that the US is footing the bill for the Kenyans to go to Haiti.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Not the kind of talent you would want to use in skirmishes with Haitian gangs. You’d be the mole in a deadly game of Whack A Mole played with AK-47’s Instead of mallets.
No... But perhaps these folk are...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-08 at 1.52.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-08 at 1.52.02 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Well, there is this. Government cretins in my home country are willing to spend more for no good reason:

But still not a total of $500 million USD> I guess Kenya provided a bargain price for their men's deaths?
They are gonna make a movie about this.

As is normal in the realm of politics... The $$$s figure starts at an amount that is thought to be palpable to the US vote... And then is incrementally increased over time... With the excuse of having to carry out and complete the job that was started.

And keep in mind that there are always hidden players who are profiting from the money spent... And they don't care about the meaningless opinions of anyone outside of their club.

Further... Given the background of African military conflicts and involvement in peacekeeping around the world... I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Kenyan's ability to hold their own against the gangs in Haiti.

Africans don't kid around when blood is involved.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am deeply saddened if the US is spending 500 million USD on a fruitless endeavor like sending 1,000 Kenyan what-ever-they-are to Haiti
to meet their certain deaths.

Reactions: tht

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
No... But perhaps these folk are...
Not in those outfits. That’s protective gear specifically designed to protect police officers from blunt force injury, rocks, sticks, during crowd control and dispersal. Bullets would have no difficulty penetrating it. I actually wear smaller versions of this gear to protect my elbows, knees, hips, and shoulders when I’m pushing my sport bikes to their limits around tight turns.

I have no doubt if the Kenyans do land on Haitian soil, they will have the proper body armour and weapons to do their assigned roles. Otherwise they are sacrificial lambs.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Before I settled into a scientific college major, I was really interested in history. World history texts were special favorites and I read them as if they were novels.

This Kenyan force of 1000 police reminds me of the "forlorn hope" volunteers of the past.

Reactions: Ecoman1949