Warming - Is it Permanent?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There are quite a few rebuttals that show this guy is wrong. Most are above mine and your heads but present facts. I won't bore you.
Great rebuttal?
This is a head-in-the-sand approach. It's Al Gore worship, or as the lecturer says it is cult or soft puedo science.

Please 'bore' us with the links to the rebuttals you mentioned which counter his points on the rates of Anthropogenic / Natural CO2 emmisons and compensated or non-compensated absorption and absorption times the scientist speaks about and the peak in 2011 and any effect on temperature from total net emmison and vice versa.

Anything less is bluffing.

Truth is indeed the daughter of time.
Climate Change is "an industry"

Reactions: Big

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
Great rebuttal?
This is a head-in-the-sand approach. It's Al Gore worship, or as the lecturer says it is cult or soft puedo science.

Please 'bore' us with the links to the rebuttals you mentioned which counter his points on the rates of Anthropogenic / Natural CO2 emmisons and compensated or non-compensated absorption and absorption times the scientist speaks about and the peak in 2011 and any effect on temperature from total net emmison and vice versa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lindzen The author's creds. Care to post Doctor Salby's?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are quite a few rebuttals that show this guy is wrong. Most are above mine and your heads but present facts. I won't bore you.
Only goes to show you the science isn't settled and there are diverse opinions amongst the experts. There are also quite a few scientists that agree with him.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have no reason to doubt that certain gases increase the temperature over time.

I have tremendous reason to doubt that humans will do whatever is "enough" to reduce that change in temperature over time.

Developing nations have NO other options other than to use fossil fuels for many years to come.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
OK your first two links are interesting, but posting anything from Wikipedia is useless
The first:
Whatsupwiththat is partially written by the blogger ? ( I have no idea what is science background is) and a "Guest Essay by Rud Istvan, who holds a BA & MBA from Harvard, and although he is certainly not stupid - his background is in communications, not atmospheric science and he has authored a book called Blowing Smoke which seeks to discredit some of the Global Warming myths. He also is an entrepreneur and principal (owner) of NanoCarbons, LLC which is dedicated to battery technology - possibly for solar or cars ?

The second:
W
as an essay by Willis Eschenback, whose credentials as a scientist with his BA in psychology, and a massage therapist having graduated from Sonoma State - (barely a step above a Junior College, as I lived nearby) hardly rates as someone qualified to debate science. But the fact that he says he did not watch the entire video and quit after the discussion of the atomic CO2 half life and the Bern Model further discredits his rebuttal,

Murry Salby, as much as Wikipedia tries to slander him, holds a bachelor of science in aerospace engineering and a PhD in environmental dynamics and he has published several books on the atmosphere, primarily related to ozone. So at least he has a true science resume.

I did not see an article by Lindzen refuting Salby ? Did I miss something ?
But Lindsen's background in physics certainly would give more credence to his views than a massage therapist with a degree in psychology out of Sonoma State

Reactions: I love Azua
Jan 9, 2004
Well here are some eggheads, fake news explaining global warming due to the actives of about 8 billion population.
Pretending to be smart and knowing something, the climate has always been changing, right?
Strange how some on dr1 are smarter than any scientist wether on climate or covid.

The co-winners of the 2021 Nobel Prize in physics (from left) Syukuro Manabe, Klaus Hasselmann and Giorgio Parisi on a screen at the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in Stockholm, on October 5.

Press release: The Nobel Prize in Physics 2021​

Physics for climate and other complex phenomena​

Three Laureates share this year’s Nobel Prize in Physics for their studies of chaotic and apparently random phenomena. Syukuro Manabe and Klaus Hasselmann laid the foundation of our knowledge of the Earth’s climate and how humanity influences it. Giorgio Parisi is rewarded for his revolutionary contributions to the theory of disordered materials and random processes.

Complex systems are characterised by randomness and disorder and are difficult to understand. This year’s Prize recognises new methods for describing them and predicting their long-term behaviour.

One complex system of vital importance to humankind is Earth’s climate. Syukuro Manabedemonstrated how increased levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere lead to increased temperatures at the surface of the Earth. In the 1960s, he led the development of physical models of the Earth’s climate and was the first person to explore the interaction between radiation balance and the vertical transport of air masses. His work laid the foundation for the development of current climate models.

About ten years later, Klaus Hasselmann created a model that links together weather and climate, thus answering the question of why climate models can be reliable despite weather being changeable and chaotic. He also developed methods for identifying specific signals, fingerprints, that both natural phenomena and human activities imprint in he climate. His methods have been used to prove that the increased temperature in the atmosphere is due to human emissions of carbon dioxide.

Around 1980, Giorgio Parisi discovered hidden patterns in disordered complex materials. His discoveries are among the most important contributions to the theory of complex systems. They make it possible to understand and describe many different and apparently entirely random materials and phenomena, not only in physics but also in other, very different areas, such as mathematics, biology, neuroscience and machine learning.

“The discoveries being recognised this year demonstrate that our knowledge about the climate rests on a solid scientific foundation, based on a rigorous analysis of observations. This year’s Laureates have all contributed to us gaining deeper insight into the properties and evolution of complex physical systems,” says Thors Hans Hansson, chair of the Nobel Committee for Physics.

Is this supposed to be a rebuttal to the link regarding the history of climate/weather below?

They received a Nobel Prize for..................."This year’s Prize recognises new methods for describing them (climate and weather) and predicting their long-term behaviour." How brilliant is that. Put that right next to a million years of data............and understand how inconsequential it likely really is.

Based on the history alone then ..............and to answer the title of the thread "warming-is-it-permanent".....................the answer is likely a NO. Of course most may never be around to see it..................but many will be around in 12 years when the end allegedly comes and people living in Jarabacoa have oceanfront properties.

Climate change is real. Weather is real. Global warming...........and cooling are real. Hats off to those brilliant entrepreneurs who have succeeded to make it into a global business. But their predictions are likely no better than the records of the people they emulate....................weather forecasters.

I await the wind turbines and/or solar panels to be put on top of the new coal fired Punta Catalina power plant.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: I love Azua

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Coal Power, and/or Oil Power is here to stay as well as in China and other developing nations.

To think anything else is tilting a windmills.

Reactions: Big

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I have a friend who just bought a new Tesla in Florida. She said charging on the home charger takes 6-8 hours and she can go 285 miles on a full charge. (without lights, aka daytime)
But in order to charge on the go away from being parked in the garage she must find a "Supercharger" station and it takes 15-18 minutes to fully charge.
I think I can get 20 gallons of gas in 8-10 minutes at a petrol station.
So when buying an electric car one must consider where the super charger stations are because otherwise you will be parked a long time

20 year old Toyotas ? - I see some and Nissans too in excess of 30 years still driving around here
Funny thing about all those "green" cars. What's being used to charge the batteries? Can you saay oil/coal?

Reactions: Big and chico bill

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Correct. It's only been a few years back that a couple of monsters hit St Martin and East coast of PR. Shift them a bit farther south and big trouble for the DR. Just like with earthquakes much better to be hit with a bunch of babies than one mother storm (no offense ladies) :)
Thus it has been through out history.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
This was a banner year for forest fires around the world..
Yes, the "educated" are working hard;

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Great rebuttal?

All of you climate change deniers are like frogs in a slow boiling pot of water, according to my climate scientist friends ( well not really)
and your days are numbered but hey...
here's a little of good news to brighten your day.

"Google will prevent climate change deniers from making money from ads"​

According to CNN.

With any luck the banks will stop offering financial services to them as well.
Problem solved right?

Reactions: Gadfly

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
All of you climate change deniers are like frogs in a slow boiling pot of water, according to my climate scientist friends ( well not really)
and your days are numbered but hey...
here's a little of good news to brighten your day.

"Google will prevent climate change deniers from making money from ads"​

According to CNN.

With any luck the banks will stop offering financial services to them as well.
Problem solved right?

Psshew. Now I can rest easy with Google and CNN on the job!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The thread on hot summer days was closed because it drifted into Global Warming and the Moderator suggested a Global Warming thread of its own.

And no doubt it has been a hot 3 months in DR, on the North Coast anyway. Finally the past few nights it appears it has started to cool.

Since I ran across this article this morning I thought it relavent to share. Maybe part of a new trend.

COLDEST WINTER ON RECORD STARTING IN ANTARCTICA

I sure hope it starts snowing sometime in the near future here fir a change.
Last winter? here was a no show, too warmth.
I can recall when we used to take heaven wool blankets to bed, not to freeze under the sheets.
Those times went and never returned.

The fog in the mornings was heavy and temperature dropped nicely at 5/6/7 am.

Gone!
Now we have moderate cool mixed in with humidity!

It’s 😜 crazy!

Let it snow!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Ac
Coal Power, and/or Oil Power is here to stay as well as in China and other developing nations.

To think anything else is tilting a windmills.
Actually Windy, China just announced massive increases in their coal production to make up for power shortages as they ramp up for post Covid manufacturing to supply world markets. They bumped their Co2 emissions peak from year 2030 to 2035 To accommodate their increase in coal production.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I sure hope it starts snowing sometime in the near future here fir a change.
Last winter? here was a no show, too warmth.
I can recall when we used to take heaven wool blankets to bed, not to freeze under the sheets.
Those times went and never returned.

The fog in the mornings was heavy and temperature dropped nicely at 5/6/7 am.

Gone!
Now we have moderate cool mixed in with humidity!

It’s 😜 crazy!

Let it snow!

On the other hand Pichardo, I’m hoping for palm trees in my area and I hope my snowblower and skis get rusty in my garage. 😂 It may happen but I’ll long gone by then. The DR is entering the fall and winter season so a decrease in temperature is normal. Regarding the article about a temperature drop at the Antarctic pole, it’s true but what is not mentioned is the NASA data confirming the edges of Anarctica have been warming for years and accelerated ice melt is occurring. The cooling at the pole is an anomaly. It’s being studied by NASA and other scientists.

Our other pole has more definitive changes. For the first time since weather has been recorded in the Arctic, the temperature reached above zero this year. NASA satellites have confirmed the melting ice in the Arctic for years now. Updated NASA data this year indicated the melt is more accelerated than we thought.

Climate change with its associated warming is occurring whether we believe it or not. How much of It is due to natural climatic change versus how much is due to manmade activities is up for debate.

If the DR continues to get periods of abnormally hot weather, more frequent droughts, and more frequent and stronger hurricanes, it could be a more definitive indicator of climate change for the DR.