Warning: DIGESETT rips off again at the Playero traffic light in Sosua

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
miesposo was stopped at the lights to be ticketed for crossing on the red. he said he had a dash cam. amet reported to the supervisor: "tiene la camara" and was told to view the recording. they did check it on the spot to find out miesposo crossed on yellow. no ticket. it also came in handy when arguing about few minor scratches.

Yep, me too.
I was stopped once in pop for crossing on a red light.
I showed on my dashcam that it was green and I could go on my way. Didn't got a ticket.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Thats why I always have my dashcam on.

Me too, 2 dashcams actually, clearly visible for all scumbags...

And when they stop me I show them the dashcam(s) and explain they are recording all the time, also sound...

I also have this "car document" always close by...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That's what I was thinking when I asked my questions above. I see lots of people making that turn into Playero when they shouldn't. The light this driver would have seen coming from where she was is just a single green, albeit a short one.

The didgeridoos often can't easily see the light in question from where they stand so I assume are using the first vehicle to leave playero and turn left towards Charamicos as the indication that the light in question has changed to red. As we all know, those who won't stop for a light are the same ones who are impatient and have no problem jumping a green. Maybe this driver got caught by an assumption.

To be fair, it is not uncommon for one or two extra cars to ignore the short light change and make a dash left onto Hwy 5 heading east. With everyone at that intersection revving to go, many times I see the "jackrabbits" having to avoid the "wait for me" drivers.

Send the wife in to do the groceries and just stand in the parking lot with a fria, the antics that take place at that intersection are mind boggling.

Speaking of Jackrabbits I had some moron on a fairly new moto (with a passenger) in Puerto Plata try to get a jump on the light as I came through the intersection. It was still red for him but he was revving the motor and maybe his hand slipped on the clutch lever.
His front wheel and fender hit the back tire of my SUV.
No damage to my car and I didn't even stop - his front fender was bent down onto his tire forcing him to push to the side of the road - his payment for acting a fool - life lesson

1) This case is different because my wife came from the old Playero and not from direction Cabarete.
2) A other thing is, it is impossible to see light from the place were they are allways standing, there is a 90 degree angle, absolutely no chance on the day and the distance are 90 m. We have cheked it.

They have a guy standing by western union who radios the guys to stop which vehicle

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm always interested in seeing what others have decided best meets their needs. Posts like this would be super informative if it included a link to item being referenced. ;-)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Does anyone have a recommendation on which camera to buy?

It depends on your needs.

A real dashcam is a must-have for western countries, as it will also display the km/h ( very intresting in case of an accident ).

Here in the dr i hardly bother with the dashcam, and instead use a wide-angled sports camera, a go-pro clone, very cheap ( 20$). It came with 23 thousand attachements, and a water proof case( nice if you are going to the beach), so i just stick it on my dash board or windscreen, when i go out. They have dashcam modes, so they record by segments of 3 minutes ( so you dont have to go through tons of footage to find The moment ) and they dont write over moments in time when there are sudden decceralations.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It depends on your needs.

A real dashcam is a must-have for western countries, as it will also display the km/h ( very intresting in case of an accident ).

Here in the dr i hardly bother with the dashcam, and instead use a wide-angled sports camera, a go-pro clone, very cheap ( 20$). It came with 23 thousand attachements, and a water proof case( nice if you are going to the beach), so i just stick it on my dash board or windscreen, when i go out. They have dashcam modes, so they record by segments of 3 minutes ( so you dont have to go through tons of footage to find The moment ) and they dont write over moments in time when there are sudden decceralations.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosstour-Un...&qid=1550937275&sr=1-7&keywords=Sports+camera

This is the one I use. Except I got it on a discount day ;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm always interested in seeing what others have decided best meets their needs. Posts like this would be super informative if it included a link to item being referenced. ;-)

Trying to lead me into the swamp ??
where I'll get ambushed for my stupidity???
haha
Given the cut-throats that lurk here -- I'm wary

here is what I bought .... others may differ... I know nothing about these things

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-ab&q=dash+cam+trekpow+by+abox

With a separate mirror clip

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
I drive through that intersection at least four times per day. They have been out there almost every day for the last two months. They are writing tickets to everyone, not just gringo tourists. In between ticket writing they are helping tourists cross the street which is great thing for a tourist town. If one of the officers has their hand out you had better stop or your going to get a ticket. Regardless of what color the light is or what color your skin is.

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
If one of the officers has their hand out you had better stop or your going to get a ticket. Regardless of what color the light is

i don't understand the sentence in connection with the basic idea of the subject: "to defend yourself against fictitious offences (which by the way are also a punishable offence) and not to buy yourself out of them".

should i understand the sentence in such a way that we should stop that we don't get a ticket
or
pay for a ticket no matter if the traffic light was green?

did you ever get a ticket that not was correct at that intersection, and paid it?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

we just got a new one installed:
https://www.amazon.com/Baosity-Engl...9440&sr=8-2&keywords=seventy+mai+dash+cam+pro
that thing actually talks out loud. "beware of a vehicle ahead". i think i just lost the job of nagging miesposo when he drives :paranoid:
it also tells you when the cars in front of you start to move at the lights.

with this the old camera will go to the back to have that covered. the other car only has dash cam in the front, second in line to upgrade.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
did you ever get a ticket that not was correct at that intersection, and paid it?

Actually yes, I have received a ticket at that intersection. Seatbelt violation which at the time I thought was complete BS. It was one of my first visits here and the rental car's belt wouldn't fasten. I showed the officer and they just shrugged and wrote the ticket. I paid it.

I've also received a ticket at 12:30am leaving the parking lot at an airport in America. The officer claimed I was speeding but I know for a fact, it was another car that had just sped past me that triggered his radar. Same deal, got the ticket and paid it.

The tickets might not be fair but I don't think they are strictly targeting tourists.

In all the years dealing with Amet or Digesett whatever they want to call themselves, I have never been shaken down and have only been stopped when I was actually in the wrong, I may not have liked it but, every time it really was my fault. The Policia nacional is another story, They were always looking to make a few bucks by stopping the gringos whenever possible but not so with the Digiset. I was never written a summons except one time in Santiago about 8 years ago, So I really dont believe they are trying to single out tourists, especialy in Sosua, They stop way more Dominicans than Tourists there, thats a fact.

Franz

Dec 30, 2006
In all the years dealing with Amet or Digesett whatever they want to call themselves, I have never been shaken down and have only been stopped when I was actually in the wrong, I may not have liked it but, every time it really was my fault. The Policia nacional is another story, They were always looking to make a few bucks by stopping the gringos whenever possible but not so with the Digiset. I was never written a summons except one time in Santiago about 8 years ago, So I really dont believe they are trying to single out tourists, especialy in Sosua, They stop way more Dominicans than Tourists there, thats a fact.
our experiences are completely different. Maybe you are very lucky and we have had a lot of bad luck. We have already experienced things here that are so impertinent that they are almost unbelievable. The coronation was that an amet man wanted a multa because the windshield had an approx. 5 cm long jump and according to his statement this violates the law!! Other things he could not find despite intensive search. When we said we want now talk to his boss he told us we should drive away. Where the multa would be flow is also clear.

I also don't mean that tourists are the main attack target (this could have a negative effect on the number of tourists) but I think we residents are. If you calculate the number of residents in relation to the domis, we will be checked more often than average. I once experienced at the Playero trafic light that a Domi-motorbike rider who was directly in front of me could drive through without helmet and they stopped me, without being able to find anything.

We have often more or less subliminal the feeling that the whole actions mainly serve to get money into their own pockets.