Warning: DIGESETT rips off again at the Playero traffic light in Sosua

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In all the years dealing with Amet or Digesett whatever they want to call themselves, I have never been shaken down and have only been stopped when I was actually in the wrong, I may not have liked it but, every time it really was my fault. The Policia nacional is another story, They were always looking to make a few bucks by stopping the gringos whenever possible but not so with the Digiset. I was never written a summons except one time in Santiago about 8 years ago, So I really dont believe they are trying to single out tourists, especialy in Sosua, They stop way more Dominicans than Tourists there, thats a fact.

This has been my experience.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In all the years dealing with Amet or Digesett whatever they want to call themselves, I have never been shaken down and have only been stopped when I was actually in the wrong, I may not have liked it but, every time it really was my fault. The Policia nacional is another story, They were always looking to make a few bucks by stopping the gringos whenever possible but not so with the Digiset. I was never written a summons except one time in Santiago about 8 years ago, So I really dont believe they are trying to single out tourists, especialy in Sosua, They stop way more Dominicans than Tourists there, thats a fact.

They dont single out tourists they just single out those whom they think can pay a fine ( or a bribe ).

Stopping someone for no sealtbelt ? Really ? When there are thousands of cars that dont even have lights/brake lights, let alone fukcing seatbelts.
Stopping someone for tinted windscreen ? Really ? With all the wrecks that hold togother only by rust.....
And dont get me going on motobikes riding down fne wrong side of the road, etc.....

It is not about enforcing the law it is about money grabbing.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The front and rear looking camera systems have come way down in price.
Good chance that such a system would deter the traffic cops.
They got me on a trip to dental surgery in Santiago and it was $60.00 on the spot to make it go away.
To not pay would have meant missing a surgery appointment.
One slight difference is that I did go through the light.
Cameras will not help if you really are guilty.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The front and rear looking camera systems have come way down in price.
Good chance that such a system would deter the traffic cops.
They got me on a trip to dental surgery in Santiago and it was $60.00 on the spot to make it go away.
To not pay would have meant missing a surgery appointment.
One slight difference is that I did go through the light.
Cameras will not help if you really are guilty.

LOL, if you wrong you wrong and that most definitely is a time to pay the bribe to let things go away. On a normal shake down I just play gringo stupid. No sen-nor I don't have pesos, you take credit card?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I got it recently... between Nagua and the Toll Road

Couple of knuckleheads in a Mtce Truck from the Autopista - but well logo'd

Must have borrowed a radar gun - shot me at 80+ a bit
Took my papers... I explained it was an 80 zone

Oh no - they say - and point to a sign 50 yds ahead... 40 Zone

Now my wife is yelling at me --- her trip to the airport - leaving
The cops are there.... and call me back to their truck

Give me the old -- what a nice guy I am (I hear that a lot) & it'll be 5,000 pesos at BanReservas
I know it's 1,000

Obviously they git the gun - but not the authority to write tickets

To shut my wife up & get rid of them & get my papers back - I coughed up 1,000

Gone !!!.......free as a bird

25 minutes later - on the toll road - the real guys get me..... 92 in an 80
Multa !!

Wife is not bit quieter during this one...

THe only good thing --- I was dropping her off...scowl and all !!

That toll road has some cops --- I'll tell ya !!
Just need to weed out the fakes

In retrospect -- I deserved....
for sure that 40 zone started at the sign -- I wasn't in it yet

That argument - I could have won

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@WW the grill man, dude I could never, ever hang out with you. I think i would have so much fun it would send me to the big bird nest in the sky....... you can be so funny

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have a system that works on that toll road from Nagua to SDQ. I have a very good radar detector but that is not enough as they have their gun off and point it at you on a long straightaway. What I do is I follow a car that is going the speed I am comfortable with. Always over the 100km though. I stay a decent distance behind. When they hit him I get the signal and hit the brake. I have never got caught. And they are almost always near the end going to SDQ around the turnoff to San Isidro.

Of course after the poor guy in front of me gets pulled over I need to slow down until I find another customer.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It would be funny Bird if I made it up....it's true !!!

trust me grill man, the funniest things in life seem to be the things that really happen. Yesterday I was in SD este and flagged down a carro publico. Just as I put my hand on the door handle of the banged up Toyota Camry, Corolla or whatever ........ bang, a rear end collision. I think Honda Accord, dark blue, tinted windows and that plastic/fiberglass bumper went flying all over the place. Complete front end damage and the banged up carro publico not as much as a scratch. I blended in with the crowd and vanished. I wasn't gonna get gringo blamed for flagging down the publico. LOL

I am thinking about that also, in this country it is really needed necessary to fight these rip-offs. Foreigners are of course popular victims because many do not dare to defend themselves or simply can not speak enough Spanish.

I speak Spanish like a native but I learned long ago that letting the police know that I speak Spanish and have a DR cédula and drivers license is a MAJOR disadvantage. They then have jurisdiction over the license you hold. Without fail they ALWAYS want cash money on the spot.

During the last three years I lived there whenever I was stopped by AMET or the PN the first thing I did was give them my Florida drivers license and I pretended that I couldn’t speak a single word of Spanish. Without fail they ALWAYS let me go after frustratingly trying to communicate.

They’re bottom-feeding Scum and deserve no respect.

I now live in Colombia and I DO NOT miss Latin America’s anal orifice. Sadly I wasted good money getting the DR citizenship.
Live and learn.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I have been stopped coming up from the peq. Playero twice in the same spot. Both times seatbelts. A lot of times motos come flying up the other little street that joins here and don't even look when the street joins. I don't even get why the Amet is at the light and not down there. I think they like the other side of the curve because people not wearing seat belts don't have time to put one on vs actually doing something to make that spot safer.

As for the traffic light and being accused of passing a red light. I have been ticketed twice for passing a yellow. Both times told that yellow is the same as red. One time it happened in Sosua on the corner where Metro and the Food Trucks are and the other time in Puerto Plata. I was not able to even pay my way out of it either time - other then paying the multa.