Warning PCR test will be required to enter Canada with in 3 days of arrival

lifeisgreat

Devils playground
May 7, 2016
So when customs in Canada rejects them on AirTransat with AG-PCR tests from CMC, do they just go directly to the Covid Hotel in Canada for 2 weeks for free room and board? What if you had like 7 animals with you, eh?
Then animal control takes em and sends you bill for both simple Eh!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Harleysrock flew yesterday. He posted on Facebook that WestJet will accept CMC and Bournigal, but appears Air Transat won’t accept CMC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Under the current Border Services Agency rules, your shuffled off to god knows where for a minimum two weeks. Extra baggage like wife and or girlfriend, offspring, go as well. Pets aren’t a priority but would have to be accommodated somehow.

I’m still confused by the Canadian government’s rejection of the PCR testing in the DR. My initial read of the new requirements indicated that the AG-PCR 72 or 96 hour test was acceptable regardless of where the test was taken. The RT-PCR test was unacceptable.

A friend of mine currently staying in Playa Dorada said approximately 30 people were banned from boarding a return fight to Canada from Gregorio Luperon airport because they had the RT-PCR test.

Can anyone who has factual
Information on this forum clear up the confusion?
AG (In the AG-PCR test) means Antigen Test. That shows if you already had CV19 because it tests for the Antigens the body builds up.
It is a quicker and cheaper test than an RT-PCR test which determines if you are contagious.

An RT-PCR test is the best widely available test to determine if someone has active and transmittable CV19.
The COVID-19 RT-PCR test is a real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (rRT-PCR) test. The test is for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2 in upper and lower respiratory specimens (such as nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swabs) collected from individuals suspected of COVID-19.

An RT-PCR test is described below. It takes time to analyze the results. I have seen numbers of between 4 to 8 hours per test.
So in the DR it is highly unlikely to be done quickly and why places are quoting a 72 hour time for results.

People using CMC's current AG-PCR test to get on planes to Canada are "lucky", eh?
I very much doubt Canada wants anything but the RT-PCR test.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You reversed it..other way around..
You’re right, sorry:

“To those Canadians that need to know air transat would have accepted both my bournigal test (which goes through referncia and takes longer) the RT-PCR and the other test at CMC the AG PCR

I asked at the 2 Checkpoints where it was needed to be shown and said it was fine but at the check in the lady said the Bournigal RT-PCR is better lol. Westjet will not take the AG PCR from Cmc that I know for sure. Not telling anyone to rely solely on the CMC test but just thought I would share.”

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Harleysrock flew yesterday. He posted on Facebook that WestJet will accept CMC and Bournigal, but appears Air Transat won’t accept CMC
So there are miracles from time to time.

And others posted the opposite was true on FB. Others had posted AirTransat accepted the incorrect CMC test, but WestJet would not accept the incorrect CMC test,

Odd eh? Ah. I see that was corrected in a post just above mine that AirTransat currently lets the people with the wrong tests fly and WestJet does not.

lifeisgreat

Devils playground
May 7, 2016
Under the current Border Services Agency rules, your shuffled off to god knows where for a minimum two weeks. Extra baggage like wife and or girlfriend, offspring, go as well. Pets aren’t a priority but would have to be accommodated somehow.

I’m still confused by the Canadian government’s rejection of the PCR testing in the DR. My initial read of the new requirements indicated that the AG-PCR 72 or 96 hour test was acceptable regardless of where the test was taken. The RT-PCR test was unacceptable.

A friend of mine currently staying in Playa Dorada said approximately 30 people were banned from boarding a return fight to Canada from Gregorio Luperon airport because they had the RT-PCR test.

They had ag pcr test that’s why turned away... RT-pcr is fine..

As of January 7, 2021, Transport Canada requires that all guests entering Canada from international destinations, 5 years of age and over, to present a negative COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test result before boarding. The test will supplement, not replace, the requirements for health questionnaires, temperature checks and face masks.

To comply with this regulation, guests will be required to present a negative PCR or RT-LAMP test at check-in and Canada Customs, taken within 72 hours from their scheduled departure time. Please allow extra time to check in.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They had ag pcr test that’s why turned away... RT-pcr is fine..

As of January 7, 2021, Transport Canada requires that all guests entering Canada from international destinations, 5 years of age and over, to present a negative COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test result before boarding. The test will supplement, not replace, the requirements for health questionnaires, temperature checks and face masks.

To comply with this regulation, guests will be required to present a negative PCR or RT-LAMP test at check-in and Canada Customs, taken within 72 hours from their scheduled departure time. Please allow extra time to check in.
Like I said from the beginning. Some people got lucky with an AG-PCR test.

lifeisgreat

Devils playground
May 7, 2016
So there are miracles from time to time.

And others posted the opposite was true on FB. Others had posted AirTransat accepted the incorrect CMC test, but WestJet would not accept the incorrect CMC test,

Odd eh? Ah. I see that was corrected in a post just above mine that AirTransat currently lets the people with the wrong tests fly and WestJet does not.
Im 100% sure air Transat employees here will get re-educated on acceptable papers...

lifeisgreat

Devils playground
May 7, 2016
For boarding plane yes... entering country under those papers is toilet paper regardless of story ..off you go to hotel until you tested and verified negative at your expense.. simple enough.. no different then airport checking you have passport..

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Still not the way I read the requirements. They specifically state a PCR or RT-LAMP test is acceptable. The RT-LAMP test is the newest version of the RT-PCR test, much easier to administer and quicker results. No where does it say the AG-PCR test is unacceptable. The only requirement is that it be done within 72 hours before you board your flight.

The confusion exists because this new requirement has been rapidly downloaded on the airlines and they are arbitrarily deciding what’s acceptable to board their flights. Hopefully this confusion is clarified by the time I head down late February or early March.

Reactions: thompstr

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
This is the problem, getting factual information on what is happening at airport checkin and at immigration back in Canada. If you go to the clinics listed as approved and if you get the right test supposedly everything will go smoothly. However, there is no guarantee that these labs can get you the results in time or provide them in an acceptable format (paper copy of results). It's not even clear if just anyone can walk in off the street at these labs in Puerto Plata and get a test on demand. Expecting travelers who may not speak Spanish well to contact these labs and get instructions is expecting a bit much. I don't know how we are going to be able to clear up the confusion. CMC in Sosua is not one of the listed labs and the AG-PCR test is not one of the approved tests so anything you do that involves CMC at this point in time would seem to set you up for a problem getting on your flight here in the DR or possibly at immigration once you arrive in Canada. Anyone carted off to quarantine for having an improper test is not going to be logging onto DR1 to tell their story anytime soon.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is the problem, getting factual information on what is happening at airport checkin and at immigration back in Canada. If you go to the clinics listed as approved and if you get the right test supposedly everything will go smoothly. However, there is no guarantee that these labs can get you the results in time or provide them in an acceptable format (paper copy of results). It's not even clear if just anyone can walk in off the street at these labs in Puerto Plata and get a test on demand. Expecting travelers who may not speak Spanish well to contact these labs and get instructions is expecting a bit much. I don't know how we are going to be able to clear up the confusion. CMC in Sosua is not one of the listed labs and the AG-PCR test is not one of the approved tests so anything you do that involves CMC at this point in time would seem to set you up for a problem getting on your flight here in the DR or possibly at immigration once you arrive in Canada. Anyone carted off to quarantine for having an improper test is not going to be logging onto DR1 to tell their story anytime soon.
you have to quarantine regardless of test or no test.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Documentation of a negative laboratory test result must be presented to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. The test must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) test and must be taken within 96 hours prior to the traveler’s scheduled departure to Canada.
Copied off the letter sent to me by the Canadian Embassy today.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Documentation of a negative laboratory test result must be presented to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. The test must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) test and must be taken within 96 hours prior to the traveler’s scheduled departure to Canada.
Copied off the letter sent to me by the Canadian Embassy today.
Correct Bob but the testing time frame is changing to 72 hours shortly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Still not the way I read the requirements. They specifically state a PCR or RT-LAMP test is acceptable. The RT-LAMP test is the newest version of the RT-PCR test, much easier to administer and quicker results. No where does it say the AG-PCR test is unacceptable. The only requirement is that it be done within 72 hours before you board your flight.

The confusion exists because this new requirement has been rapidly downloaded on the airlines and they are arbitrarily deciding what’s acceptable to board their flights. Hopefully this confusion is clarified by the time I head down late February or early March.
If you get an RT-PCR test within the allotted amount of time you will be fine.