Warning PCR test will be required to enter Canada with in 3 days of arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For many Canadians up to their posterior in snow and dealing with a massive Arctic low and -30 degree temperatures, I think they would willing to spend even more than that for some time in the DR.

I find your criticism of the lady and gentleman who arrived in Canada with the wrong Covid test a bit harsh. You don’t know the full details. Not everybody is totally conversant with what tests are required and often rely on medical labs to provide them with what they think is the right test. Add to this the confusion about the testing requirements when they were first implemented and it’s no surprise to me, some people would arrive back in Canada without the right test. More to the point, Canadian airports have enough resources to give them the correct test if they arrive with the wrong one. I don’t fault the airlines they travelled on because airlines have had a difficult time interpreting the testing guidelines. They vary by country and are a moving target in some countries.
Correct. I went for my PCR test yesterday and realized that I might come up short a few HOURS for Monday's flight. (72 hours) When I mentioned to the nurse and doctor in the reception area a gentleman filling out his med form popped up and said "Are you serious?" Dr says ..it's possible.". I said see you tomorrow. (I had the test this morning. Will have results tomorrow.)

The devil is in the details.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Pretty sad when temporary foreign workers get better treatment than citizens. Will be fun to watch it all unfold.

Reactions: Russell

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
If you get into the Transport Canada website this morning, the current restriction information states testing requirements are in place but the requirement to isolate in a Covid hotel will be implemented soon. There was also a news item a few days ago about the requirement starting mid February. Maybe the government is testing the waters before they make it mandatory?

I think the Canadian DR expats and and many Canadian DR tourists are willing to put up with the inconvenience of getting the proper tests prior to returning to Canada and further testing on arrival in Canada. It’s the $2000 Covid hotel extra cost that sticks in their craw. Quick Covid testing (one hour results) is readily available in Canada. There is no need to wait three days.
See it seems your not getting it, they are doing it to inconvenience you not to travels it’s really simple concept! Most want them to go further and ban all travel! They don’t care what a handful of cranky expats say or want.

Reactions: DR fan1990

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Would not your headline have been more accurate and less dramatic for members here other than Can. citizens if it stated that? Just saying WW. Dramatic but misleading, just a tad. ;).
yes, might have been.....

but seeing as the thread title specifies Canada....... I thought it a propos.... (French)

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
$500 per month in the DR sounds like a nightmare to me.
Really. have you ever lived here? If so you would understand the $500 CDN a month is just the rent and utility expenses.
Food and living is cheap..
More like a pleasant dream not a nightmare.
But I respect your opinion and hope you live well where ever you are.

Reactions: rogerjac and MGD

QueSeraSera

Jan 30, 2021
Canada
This is my first post! I’ve followed the forum for years but never have chimed in. I wanted to say that the reasoning behind the 3 day hotel quarantine was because they require the results from PCR tests not the rapid test. The rapid tests have a high percentage of false negatives. The rapid tests aren’t reliable enough to detect Covid in people if the virus has been newly transmitted.
I’m not picking sides! I’m not saying that info is factual, I’m no expert, I’m just relaying what I saw on a news report from last evening here in the Great White North.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
This is my first post! I’ve followed the forum for years but never have chimed in. I wanted to say that the reasoning behind the 3 day hotel quarantine was because they require the results from PCR tests not the rapid test. The rapid tests have a high percentage of false negatives. The rapid tests aren’t reliable enough to detect Covid in people if the virus has been newly transmitted.
I’m not picking sides! I’m not saying that info is factual, I’m no expert, I’m just relaying what I saw on a news report from last evening here in the Great White North.
Why would they need results from a second PCR test when the first PCR test was done just a few days earlier (before departure) and came back negative.

No, the fact is they just dont want people to travel and going for people's wallets is the best deterrent they can use. And it's effective.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
Mandatory 3 day hotel quarantine cancelled in Canada due to threat of litigation and violations under Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Reactions: snowqueen

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Mandatory 3 day hotel quarantine cancelled in Canada due to threat of litigation and violations under Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Well, look at that! Looks like all these posts on DR1 made them come to their senses.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Not sure that litigation is the main reason for the backtracking. It was always going to be a problem convincing Canadians in February to be rescued from the Caribbean and shipped home to Canada, regardless of the $2000 fee. The flights would have been empty going down and back.

This isn't likely going to be the end of it as the government will probably make a few minor changes and have another go at it shortly.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Not sure that litigation is the main reason for the backtracking. It was always going to be a problem convincing Canadians in February to be rescued from the Caribbean and shipped home to Canada, regardless of the $2000 fee. The flights would have been empty going down and back.

This isn't likely going to be the end of it as the government will probably make a few minor changes and have another go at it shortly.

Not surprised SM. The cracks in the draconian decision based on a fallacy are starting to appear. They are what they are. Covid concentration camps disguised as hotels. A throw back to the Canadian Japanese internment camps during the Second World War. The whole premise for the decision to do this to limit the spread of the variants is now in the toilet.

Any judge would look at the latest rapid PCR testing technology approved by Health Canada, the Bioscience one with the high degree of accuracy, and ask why are Canadian citizens being detained for three days when a one hour test is readily available? The pushback on the Covid concentration camps will get stronger despite the media saying the majority of Canadians want this. I sure many do want international travel limited but not by severe measures.

Also remember this decision clearly discriminates against Canadian DR expats and tourists as long as the Canada to Florida and Arizona flight routes remain open. Any judge would see that as a major loophole and discriminatory.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Ya a right wing rag tag like newsmax I don’t think so!
It’s not Newsmax. It’s a release from the Justice Centre for Constitutional Reform. They are echoing what I have been posting on this thread since the Covid concentration camps were proposed. I said the implementation would be modified and it will. There are other ways of limiting international travel without restricting our freedoms. Getting the airlines to voluntarily stop flying is one of them.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Well, look at that! Looks like all these posts on DR1 made them come to their senses.
JD. There might be some truth in that. 😆Margaret Atwood, the famous Canadian author said, “Never underestimate the power of a small group of people to change things”. If I can get back to the DR via Florida and only have to deal with testing requirements and no Covid concentration camps on my return to Canada, I’ll be happy with that.

Reactions: FGUnsworth1

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
It’s not Newsmax. It’s a release from the Justice Centre for Constitutional Reform. They are echoing what I have been posting on this thread since the Covid concentration camps were proposed. I said the implementation would be modified and it will. There are other ways of limiting international travel without restricting our freedoms. Getting the airlines to voluntarily stop flying is one of them.
Right wing period! Doesn’t matter how you pronounce ketchup.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto

It has not been cancelled or delayed.
Litigation was expected and that's why there is no travel ban.

It could get cancelled but there is no evidence of this now.

Reactions: DR fan1990

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto

When will the hotel quarantine rule take effect?​

The start date is still up in the air.
Transport Minister Omar Alghabra suggested last Sunday that air passengers could be ushered into hotels as early as Feb. 4.
But on Feb, 2, Trudeau indicated that it could be weeks before the hotel quarantine requirement takes effect.
"We hope to have that implemented within the month — weeks to come," he said in French at a news conference.
"People are working very hard to create a system so that it is established before people start travelling for the March break."

Status
Not open for further replies.