Warning PCR test will be required to enter Canada with in 3 days of arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not the mod for this forum, but may I point out that the thread is "Covid in the DR" and as such, encompasses not only Dominicans and expats but also other visitors. Many of those visitors and snowbirds are Canadian and thus are affected by Canadian travel rules, restrictions and requirements.

Cutting off the flow of travel from Canada, as these new rules seem to do, will have a deleterious effect upon the DR and those who work in tourism.

That makes this DR-related!
Additionally, there are several Cdns (it seems) that are 'stranded' here.....

Cdns and Americans need to know the rules to fly - since they change often !!
Assuming they'll get to fly one day !!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Call it Trudeau bashing then but whether you disagree or not, is moot. This forum is supposedly all about the DR and the Admin is either not doing the professed job or at best does a slip shod work of being a gatekeeper....
A couple of the Trudeau bashers are already on vacation. Keep bashing the mods and you'll join them.

Last edited:

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Call it Trudeau bashing then but whether you disagree or not, is moot. This forum is supposedly all about the DR and the Admin is either not doing the professed job or at best does a slip shod work of being a gatekeeper....
Since the Canadian governments decisions are costing the DR millions of dollars, their motivation behind the decisions would seem relevant to me. The "why" is important.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
Read the title of this thread.
Then read it again so there is a degree of comprehension.
Do you get it now?

Nobody is bashing anyone. People with an actual vested interest can become emotional on specific issues.

If you really hate it perhaps you should start your own forum and censor whatever you want.

Whoever you are, if you did not understand the drift yet, DR1 forum is all about DR and not Canada as professed by the Admin....so, the message was never meant for you, but the admin, so give it a rest.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Whoever you are, if you did not understand the drift yet, DR1 forum is all about DR and not Canada as professed by the Admin....so, the message was never meant for you, but the admin, so give it a rest.
You got it Miss cranky pants. You are now on ignore. There is absolutely nothing I want to here from you.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
That makes this DR-related!

It might have been in the hoary past....when the thread started and now it is more about Government policies, OF CANADA....so much so it took me time to glean something that is relevant. The ADMIN says, no politics and i expect the admin to stick to that.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
What Are The New Entry Requirements By Air For International Arrivals?
  1. All travelers must provide proof of a negative PCR test no older than 72 hours of arrival in Canada.
  2. Travelers can only arrive at the Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver airports.
  3. All travelers will be given a PCR test upon arrival at the airport.
  4. All travelers must reserve, prior to arriving in Canada, a 3-night stay in a government-authorized hotel. Travelers will be able to book their government-authorized stay starting February 18, 2021.
  5. Travelers will be released if there test is negative. If positive, they will be transferred to a government quarantine facility
  6. Travelers who are negative can proceed home to quarantine for the remaining duration of a 14 day quarantine.
  7. Travelers will be required to take another PCR test towards the end of the quarantine.
When Do The New Air Travel Restrictions Begin?
The new rules that affect all international travelers arriving in Canada by air go into effect on February 22, 2021.

How Much Does The Hotel Quarantine Cost?
The cost of the hotel quarantine will be the responsibility of the traveler and will cost up to $2000. Final prices will be released on February 18th, 2021 when bookings for hotels become available.

Where Are The Hotels Located?
All hotels will be located within the vicinity of the four approved airports.
Health Minister Patty Hajdu stated that “It is up to the traveler to choose where they wish to stay, and book in advance of departure.”
Hajdu reported that the cost of hotels will vary by location.
“The price will include costs associated with the room, food, cleaning, infection prevention and control measures, and security as well as transportation.”

Reactions: aname4me

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
This Site show Canada has recorded 901 cases associated with international travel.
Total CoViD19 cases so far (in Canada) 825,785

Of the 901 cases, they are associated with travel to.....
USA 146
UK 27
Spain 19
DR 3
Mexico 17

Reactions: slowmo

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
2 travelers fined over $7,000 for ‘false’ COVID-19 tests, Transport Canada says
Transport Canada says they've fined two people for faking the results of their COVID-19 tests, which are required to be negative, to fly into the country.
In a statement Thursday, the transport agency said that in both cases, the two had knowingly boarded a flight to Canada from Mexico on Jan. 23 after having tested positive for COVID-19 a few days before their flight. The statement also said the two were fined $10,000 and $7,000, respectively, for "presenting a false or misleading COVID-19 test" as well as for making a "false declaration about their health status."
The agency said that both of the travelers landed at Pierre-Elliot Trudeau Airport in Montreal, but could not provide any further details about the individuals or cases.

Last week, Peel Regional Police charged a man after he allegedly presented fake test results at Pearson Airport.
According to police, a CBSA and quarantine officer who inspected the man's negative COVID-19 test revealed it to be "fraudulent," and that the man had later tested positive for the virus.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto

How some Canadians plan to circumvent Ottawa's new hotel quarantine requirement​

Some Canadians abroad plan to change their route home and cross the border by land, instead of air, to bypass Canada's pricey new hotel quarantine requirement.
Travellers must foot the bill for their stay, which could cost upwards of $2,000, according to the government.
But the hotel quarantine rule doesn't apply to travellers entering Canada by land, inspiring some like Cross to revise their plans.
If the hotel quarantine rule is still in effect when Cross, 63, and Anne, 61, return home in April, he said they plan to fly to Buffalo instead of Toronto. Then they'll take a cab to the Rainbow Bridge land border crossing at Niagara Falls, N.Y., and walk across the border to Niagara Falls, Ont.
Cross said a couple of friends have agreed to drive his car to the Canadian side of the border and leave it there for him.
"We'll just pick it up and drive home," he said.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Two Canadians have been fined a total of $17,000 for presenting false negative COVID-19 tests before flying back to Canada.

Transport Canada says the individuals boarded a flight in Mexico in late January, knowing they have COVID-19 just days before their trip back to Montreal.

They were fined for presenting a false COVID test and for making a false declaration about their health status.

The two are believed to be the first to be fined under travel restrictions imposed on air travelers.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Two Canadians have been fined a total of $17,000 for presenting false negative COVID-19 tests before flying back to Canada.

Transport Canada says the individuals boarded a flight in Mexico in late January, knowing they have COVID-19 just days before their trip back to Montreal.

They were fined for presenting a false COVID test and for making a false declaration about their health status.

The two are believed to be the first to be fined under travel restrictions imposed on air travelers.

Whoopsie!

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Not $2,000 for Quarantine. less than $400

Nightly rates at the Alt Hotel Toronto Airport and the Sheraton Gateway Hotel at Toronto Pearson International Airport, two of the hotels currently participating in the government quarantine program, start at $339 and $319, respectively, for a single person, employees at those hotels say.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Not $2,000 for Quarantine. less than $400

Nightly rates at the Alt Hotel Toronto Airport and the Sheraton Gateway Hotel at Toronto Pearson International Airport, two of the hotels currently participating in the government quarantine program, start at $339 and $319, respectively, for a single person, employees at those hotels say.

I'd guess the $2000 number is an estimated all-in costs, not just the cost of the room.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The $2000 was for 3 nights so you have to take the start at rate and multiply by 3. Plus HST of course.

JD, from the link in aname4me post #713:
"Costs of these hotel stopovers may vary by location. The price will include costs associated with the:
food
room
security
transportation
infection prevention and control measures"

The only thing that is unclear is the cost of testing.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The $2000 was for 3 nights so you have to take the start at rate and multiply by 3. Plus HST of course.

"Costs of these hotel stopovers may vary by location. The price will include costs associated with the:
food
room
security
transportation

Thanks, Mo, I thought I had read that before.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011

food
room
security
transportation

The article I just posted quotes less $400.... I agree.... that sounds like a per night rate.
These Hotels they are using, don't usually have rooms for less then $150/night with transportation, but no Food, or security

Status
Not open for further replies.