Was Santo Domingo the wrong choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2007
I sometimes wonder what DR these posters are talking about. Maybe they are going to the one in Bizzaro World? Because in 6 years of traveling to Dr, I have yet to find the type of place they describe.

The theories are there are alternative universes... ;) so maybe THAT would explain it!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
hmmm....

4 posts, 3 of them thread starters about looking for a wife in the DR, discussing the social value of Asian bargirls...whatever.

That's a whole lot of build up to be giving up in 2 days. This thread smells like an old sweat sock.

:bunny::rolleyes:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
...btw Santo Domingo is the most exhiliarating city in the Caribbean. The place is humming with life and if you can't have a good time there then there's something seriously wrong with you.

The end.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Was Santo Domingo the wrong choice? YES

It is that simple :)
Your simple answer is wrong!

It's wrong for some people.
Perhaps for those looking for sex handed to them on a silver platter.

I personally do not like Santo Domingo, it's just not to my liking.
But, it is not the wrong place.

I have been there just walking from the Metro station to the Ocean and as far as U.S. immigration.

Alone the beach I stopped at a couple of the "bars'.
The possibilities of picking up someone was very high to say the least.
And this was in the day time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
My adventures in SD far exceeds any I could expect in the U.S.
One day just walking in eye sight of the migration building when going for my residency, there was an "overly" friendly young lady walking towards me.

But I love Santiago and Sosua, I will pass on SD.

The OP in my opinion was just expecting too much and did not make any effort.
Kinda like some Dominicans that think you can go to the U.S. and just find money in the streets.

As "Greydread" said, there must be something seriously wrong with the OP.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Your simple answer is wrong!

It's wrong for some people.
Perhaps for those looking for sex handed to them on a silver platter.

I personally do not like Santo Domingo, it's just not to my liking.
But, it is not the wrong place.

I have been there just walking from the Metro station to the Ocean and as far as U.S. immigration.

Alone the beach I stopped at a couple of the "bars'.
The possibilities of picking up someone was very high to say the least.
And this was in the day time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
My adventures in SD far exceeds any I could expect in the U.S.
One day just walking in eye sight of the migration building when going for my residency, there was an "overly" friendly young lady walking towards me.

But I love Santiago and Sosua, I will pass on SD.

The OP in my opinion was just expecting too much and did not make any effort.
Kinda like some Dominicans that think you can go to the U.S. and just find money in the streets.

As "Greydread" said, there must be something seriously wrong with the OP.

That is what I meant Santiago. It is wrong choice for the OP. Simple answer ;)

My 20 year old sister went to DR with 2 friends the same age, visited the Capital, went to Boca chica , hated it, after 2 days they took the bus to the North Coast then had a blast. It's not that hard.

I have been traveling on my own since young, when I didn't like the place, I just went to other places, never cut a trip shot. There are guide books and, nowadays, the INTERNET.

It is simple ! Well, at least, it is to me :bored:

As far as finding a wife .... Well, if you need to travel to find a wife, you will make the wrong choice. Again, the DR or Santo Domingo will be the wrong choice, lol. Another simple, logical answer ;)

I think the DR is a wonderful place and can't wait to see more of it, but not everyone has to share my views and liking.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I sometimes wonder what DR these posters are talking about. Maybe they are going to the one in Bizzaro World? Because in 6 years of traveling to Dr, I have yet to find the type of place they describe.

When you spend 3-48 hours trying to get the feel of a place, it's possible to get the wrong impression.

Feb 7, 2007
Looks like many people read and get carried away by the "24 hours in..." articles one can find in the in-flight magazines.

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
So if you suspected what everyone's been saying, then why did you go? Or why did you go unprepared? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to give up in only 2 days... not to mention the money spent.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
the Trip to Boca Chica may have killed the deal.
I’ve not been to DR yet but, Based on my 2 siblings whom the only place they knew at that time was Port-au-Prince, had stayed around San Pedro de Macoris for about a month. When I made arrangement for them to stay at Boca Chica for 2 weeks, on their second day the call I got was made on the bus going back to SPM. They simply did not like it.
I also remember scanning the board for info about B.C before their trip; there were very few positive comments on the place.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
the Trip to Boca Chica may have killed the deal.
I?ve not been to DR yet but, Based on my 2 siblings whom the only place they knew at that time was Port-au-Prince, had stayed around San Pedro de Macoris for about a month. When I made arrangement for them to stay at Boca Chica for 2 weeks, on their second day the call I got was made on the bus going back to SPM. They simply did not like it.
I also remember scanning the board for info about B.C before their trip; there were very few positive comments on the place.

I went there once for a couple hours swimming with the family. It wasn't bad except for the shallow water. You had to walk out 100 m to get knee deep.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Thank You all for telling me what I already knew.Pretty much what I suspected before even going there.

I think that we are all a bit stunned that you would cut your trip short after only 2 days-- and are now thinking of coming back? Seems that even though you are well traveled and speak Spanish, you do not have much of a spirit of adventure, if you would rather fly back early than say-- take a bus to Samana and see a bit of this gorgeous country.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
If one is staying the capital Juan Dolio is a much nicer beach as opposed to Boca Chica. Way too much prostitution in Boca Chica.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
How would you compare the two? Beaches, hotels, restaurants?

Bigbird you mean comparing Boca Chica to Juan Dolio? Well the only comparison is that they're both beaches, but I can definitely contrast the two! As you know I was just in DR. I could be wrong but it seems like Boca Chica is a cheap getaway for middle and lower class Dominicans, especially on Sundays.

I can sum up BC as prostitutes and people trying to sell you cheap Haitian looking art. Forget about even trying to relax on the beach, vendors have no problem waking you up trying to sell you their merchandise. I'm surprised they don't try to sell cars on the beach, lol!

Juan Dolio is different. Only ten or so minutes away from BC but much classier. Seems more family oriented and the people seemed to have more class.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...As you know I was just in DR....
I know you were just in the DR, your second trip. As a newcomer just curious of your first impressions of both. A lot of tourists stay at Hamaca in Boca Chica or one of the other AIs away from Duarate. What do you think of these areas in BC compared to JD? What is there that you liked or disliked at night in both cities.

Boca Chica always gets a bad rap. Boca Chica is just not for everyone, especially the faint at heart.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Well we purchased a day pass to the Hamaca just to see how an all inclusive was. I for one hate AI's, we were based in Santo Domingo but wanted to try it out. And believe me I'm not faint at heart, I def met up with girls at the bars and took several back, but BC just seems like a cheap thrill.

The "animation team" at the Hamaca are all sankies and sankiette's, they study you as soon as you walk in then come up and ask you what you want. Of course being two young single males this was expected.

Even when you try to eat at the little resutants in BC if you're not accompanied by a woman then prostitutes will come up and try to sit with you which is really annoying. BC itself just smells like rotten fish.

We left Boca Chica around 7pm Friday but it did appear to be in the process of completely changing while we were returning back to Santo Domingo. Juan Dolio was a much better experience. No prostitutes. All the restuarants and bars are located in a certain area so that safety really wasn't a concern. Classier people. I like the Santo Domingo/ Juan Dolio combo much better than BC. In fact after skimming through the board and from my own personal experience, I haven't really found anyone who has said "Wow I went to Boca Chica and had a blast!"

Status
Not open for further replies.