Washing Machine Problems

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I moved in with a lady who had a brand new Samsung washing machine. It had all the bells and whistles, and was so automatic that when I opened the lid after it had already started its cycle it coughed and died. Cost 2000 pesos to get it running right afterwards and she assured me that I better not touch her washing machine ever again!

Something like this :p

http://www.geappliances.com/ge/connected-appliances/washer-dryer-laundry.htm

It probably senses when your smart-phone is in the washing-machine...

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
I like the Double Tube machines.

We had the exact same problem with our big GE washer, and thankfully it was under warranty so it was fixed. That was a year or two ago, I hope it stays fixed.

I really dislike those double tub machines, but if we ever need another washer we'll probably buy one. I'll just get someone to do the laundry instead of me :)

That's all we've used for years, gets the clothes nice and clean, and they are easy to fix. Finally, a large thing, looking like a capacitor blew out. A local village guy came over - not an appliance repair guy, almost immediately diagnosed the problem, rode his moto 12 miles to a larger town to buy the part and installed a new one and it works like new. But, yes, to do a couple of loads takes half a day. :-(

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
That's all we've used for years, gets the clothes nice and clean, and they are easy to fix. Finally, a large thing, looking like a capacitor blew out. A local village guy came over - not an appliance repair guy, almost immediately diagnosed the problem, rode his moto 12 miles to a larger town to buy the part and installed a new one and it works like new. But, yes, to do a couple of loads takes half a day. :-(

Not if you have 2 large machines, as I will have this Monday, well, delivery was promised (lol) for Monday.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I've fixed 2 washer/dryer units all by myself. Easy to go on line and get the manuals and find the problem. Order the parts and repair myself.

I can not tell you have many "repair men" I've tossed out so don't even try to find one anymore. I do it myself while training my employees.

My washer/dryer is 20 years old and I keep it running fine. We do have the Dominican 2 tub as a backup while waiting for parts.

We did TRY to buy a stacked washer/dryer a few years ago with LPG for the dryer. Not what I wanted but needed something. I asked several times if they had changed the gas orifice from NG to LPG and was told yes. The store installed and we lite it up. That is a great understatement! Flames came out of 1/2 of the dryer unit at the seams. Long enough to fry any wires. Told them to take it out. On CC and canceled the transaction with no problems. Ordered a combo unit from the U.S. so the double well unit worked just fine for me. Not sure if our housekeeper liked the change ... but... That's how things are.