Washington Heights

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
New Yorkers and Floridians generally get along pretty well ..
New Yorkers only have problems in like the Carolinas .. those people are still fighting the Civil War, and are some of the Most Racist people on the planet .
Not just against people of Color , but anyone who is different from them .
Florida is a nice melting pot of folks .
One of the interesting thing about "Floridians" is asking them where they are from. Often the response starts with a N and ends with a K. Finding actual Floridians whose families have been there for at least 2 generations or more can be like finding a needle in a haystack. In most places of that state most people are from somewhere else outside Florida. The routes between major airports in NY and major airports in FL has to be among the busiest on a daily basis and that's just through air, I-95 is another way for many.

With that said, many years ago I was surprised to learn among the top 5 destinations of flights coming out of JFK-NY is precisely the DR. One year I was flying to Santiago using Jetblue Terminal at JFK and every gate was heading to somewhere on Hispaniola including one for Port-au-Prince. I think every international airport on the island except María Montéz and La Isabela had an airplane heading their way around the same time just from Jetblue. They should had called that the Hiispaniola concourse.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bronx, Washington Heights, Queens, Elizabeth NJ, Paterson NJ, Passaic NJ, not necessarily in that order. Most Dominicans who haven't been there would probably consider them all NY. And for many, the large populations in North Carolina, Washington DC, Boston and Pennsylvania are also considered New York!
You forgot Miami which is also Neuva Yolk.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One of the interesting thing about "Floridians" is asking them where they are from. Often the response starts with a N and ends with a K. Finding actual Floridians whose fsmilies have been there for at least 2 genarations or more can be like finding a needle in a haystack. In most places of that state most people are from somewhere else outside Florida. The routes between major airports in NY and major airports in FL has to be among the busiest on a daily basis and that's just through air, I-95 is another way for many.

With that said, many years ago I was surprised to learn among the top 5 destinations of flights coming out of JFK-NY is precisely the DR. One year I was flying to Santiago using Jetblue Terminal at JFK and every gate was heading to somewhere on Hispaniola including one for Port-au-Prince. I think every international airport on the island except María Montéz and La Isabela had an airplane heading their way around the same time just from Jetblue. They should had called that the Hiispaniola concourse.
Being from New York State I suspect there is an extra gene embedded in those from NY that switches on later in life causing a massive migration to Florida.
The old joke, "What is a nice Jewish wine??" Answer? "I wanna go ta Florida..."

As for my home town, it is now called Amsterico in upstate NY. All those San Juanese doin' what they do best..
I hope I never have to go back there again.

Reactions: Lucifer

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One of the interesting thing about "Floridians" is asking them where they are from. Often the response starts with a N and ends with a K. Finding actual Floridians whose fsmilies have been there for at least 2 genarations or more can be like finding a needle in a haystack. In most places of that state most people are from somewhere else outside Florida.
You've never been across the panhandle from Pensacola thru Tallahassee down to Lakeland over to Melborn up to Daytona then Jacksonville before have you?

I can guarantee ya the overwhelming majority of those people aren't from places that start with a N and end with a K nor are most of them first/ second generation residents in the state of Florida.

I think you have Florida confused for New York.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
You've never been across the panhandle from Pensacola thru Tallahassee down to Lakeland over to Melborn up to Daytona then Jacksonville before have you?

I can guarantee ya the overwhelming majority of those people aren't from places that start with a N and end with a K nor are most of them first/ second generation residents in the state of Florida.

Absolutely right!
And with Jacksonville being the birthplace of Southern Rock, I bet it was the locals that made it happen, with the transplanted Allman bros.
Long live Duane and Greg A., Ronnie V.Z., and Danny Joe Brown.

So, Nals, you may be referring to areas such as greater Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Naples...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

You mean there?

B78E4777-6266-4E22-92C8-C90CA0412CB6.jpeg

What percentage of FL's population lives within that area?

That's like getting an idea of what the DR is like from a population point of view by going in this area.

79CED574-103E-4669-BC96-955E783E9137.jpeg

I rest my case.

Reactions: windeguy and jd426

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You mean there?

View attachment 5928

What percentage of FL's population lives within that area?

That's like getting an idea of what the DR is like from a population point of view by going in this area.

View attachment 5929

I rest my case.
Miami, Tampa and maybe half of Orlando ( where most of the people born
out of state are from Puerto Rico) is hardly the entire state. Speaking of maps
I am still amazed by how many Dominicans have no idea how to read one 🤪🤪🤪

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Hah! Many people don't know diddly squat 'bout geography:

Once, in Houston, a co-worker from Gary, Indiana, couldn't find Cuba on a globe: "No, Eric. That's Vietnam."
Another co-worker from New Orleans told me she didn't know if Louisiana was east, west, north or south of Texas.

Dominicans eat the cake, though: some think the Panama Canal is in the D.R.

• Wow
Reactions: AlaPlaya

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hah! Many people don't know diddly squat 'bout geography:

Once, in Houston, a co-worker from Gary, Indiana, couldn't find Cuba on a globe: "No, Eric. That's Vietnam."
Another co-worker from New Orleans told me she didn't know if Louisiana was east, west, north or south of Texas.

Dominicans eat the cake, though: some think the Panama Canal is in the D.R.
How old are you Lucy. You got time in every demographic on the planet. No one beats you except Maninvegas! You're from Texas but you know Bronx, you know Miami, you know the Burmese jungle, it's insane, keep the blog coming old boy!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
How old are you Lucy. You got time in every demographic on the planet. No one beats you except Maninvegas! You're from Texas but you know Bronx, you know Miami, you know the Burmese jungle, it's insane, keep the blog coming old boy!
And he even got Sympathy from the Rolling Stones in a Song.
He's been around for a long long years , that's how he does it .

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Well, I may not be a world traveler, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night.

But seriously, though, I'm just a pobre, prieto, viejo, flaco y feo from Higüey, who still enjoys print media, listening to Leonard Cohen, and beer... but not necessarily in that order.

I man not be a man of wealth and taste, but...

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Well, I may not be a world traveler, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night.

But seriously, though, I'm just a pobre, prieto, viejo, flaco y feo from Higüey, who still enjoys print media, listening to Leonard Cohen, and beer... but not necessarily in that order.

I may not be a man of wealth and taste, but...
So that's how you fix errors after the 5-minute limit expires.

• Wow
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hah! I may be crazy, but I could never be as tough as you: You flew submarines out of Tranquility Base during the Boxer Rebellion.
Silliness. Im off to bed. If i dont work in the morning i won't be able to pay the rent. I can't get the B schedule to pay for long term care just yet!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree with Nals' point. I am from NY, have many family and friends that moved to FL.
They did not move to the panhandle, but that is not the point NALs brought up.

His point is NOT about geography within Florida, but about the sheer number of people from NY that live in Florida as a percentage of population.

Reactions: jd426

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's actually quite common in general.

Interesting read, though a little old. Things change with time and with Florida that means even more people from out-of-state made it their home. What it doesn't say is how many of that 36% belong to families born in Florida for 2 generations or more. Logic implies it's much less. Native Floridians are outnumbered by much in their own state. It could had been worse. I hear in places like the UAE actual Emiratis are less than 20% of the population, could be considerably less.

"Just 36 percent of Florida's residents were born in Florida as of 2012."

By contrast, in the DR Dominicans are the absolute majority in just about everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: jd426

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I agree with Nals' point. I am from NY, have many family and friends that moved to FL.
They did not move to the panhandle, but that is not the point NALs brought up.

His point is NOT about geography within Florida, but about the sheer number of people from NY that live in Florida as a percentage of population.
I was raised in Zephyrhills. When I was a kid the city population during the summer would hover around 5-6k; during the winters it would explode to 50K plus. The vast majority were from NY.

Reactions: windeguy

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Last time in NYl City I had far better Dominican food there than I ever had in the DR.

BUT, they were all drinking buckets of Coronas.. Oh well,
is there something about Corona beer for Dominicans in the US.
All the Dominicans I know in the US drink only that brand unless of course Presidente is available?

Reactions: Lucifer