Waste Waste Wate Waste Waste And Waste

calverde

Dec 22, 2009
dominicans are not dirty. they always smell good (unlike the foreigners). they are just litter-bugs. we are not in kansas anymore dorothy.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
2 years or 20, and nothing has changed, other than more garbage on the streets and Dominicans still dont care about the look and smell of their country, or sadly it would seem. Sorry for the stereotyping as I know many locals do not litter, and some foreignors do, but the reality is clearly on the streets.

E

engineerfg

"these People" are indeed very dirty when it comes to contaminate everything around them... However, they would be ashamed to go in the street with a dirty shirt... Puzzling...

so funny and true

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Every so often I see a city owned garbage container and it is full, if they were emptied on a regular basis maybe it would be a little different. For the most part you never see garbage containers so I can understand why everything is thrown on the street. About 4 months ago I forgot to re-lock the container in front of my house and a couple of hours after the city pick-up, I caught 2 men rolling my container down the street which I retrieved immediately. This would make me tend to believe that if the city were to put containers around the city would they be stolen? The cities would need to purchase those very large unmovable steel bins and start a regular pick-up schedule....this would be a beginning.

onthecoast

Mar 3, 2008
I agree 100%. This seems to be a huge problem but then again I have never seen a garbage truck on the island so whats the point if no one picks it up anyway. We are so blessed to have this "luxury"..and it is a luxury. There are so many times when I just want to stop the scooter and get off and start cleaning it all up. The island itself is so beautiful and it seems strange they don't take more pride in keeping it clean because they are proud of their heritage. I have this conversation almost everytime I visit my husband...he still throws things out without a thought. We were driving thru Bayhibe a few months ago and talking about how cute the little area was...and then he throws something out the window. I was shocked. Its so matter of factly that he doesnt notice.

I own a travel agency and the #1 thing people say to me when they return is..."great place but tons of trash outside the resort." This should be a priority for the government. No wonder my step-kids are always sick. There is trash and God knows what else lurking where they play.

On the other hand, at my mother-in laws..she lives in the countryside and I find they take much better care of the trash there...maybe they burn it?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
On the other hand, at my mother-in laws..she lives in the countryside and I find they take much better care of the trash there...maybe they burn it?

Where we go in the campo everyone burns their garbage, they make a pile out behind the house and when it's big enough - poof! Great for the environment, huh? Not a lot of alternatives though.

AE

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Where we go in the campo everyone burns their garbage, they make a pile out behind the house and when it's big enough - poof! Great for the environment, huh? Not a lot of alternatives though.

AE
It's not enforced (far as I can tell), but technically speaking it's illegal to open-air burn trash in the DR (article 6.1.5 of the Environment Law). We did a post on the various dimensions of this particular issue (with pics) in The Green Team blog awhile back.