Wasteful spending at Ministry of Education’s Inabie division

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Utileria-deteriorada-INABIE-El-Caribe-e1635171962345.jpg

An investigative report carried out by Julissa Cespedes for CDN TV looks into millions in purchases carried out by the National Student Welfare division of the Ministry of Education that became useless inventory since 2012. The revelations come at a time when the government is proposing tax increases or more borrowing and the population is asking for better spending.

The boxes of school supplies that are piled up in Inabie’s warehouses are many over a decade old. The damaged goods at the National Student Welfare Institute (Inabie) warehouses add up to around RD$64 million, reports Cespedes.

Cespedes says that apparently the Ministry of Education had acquired products without apparently knowing what to do with them and also purchased defective items, making a business out of the purchases and contracting. Céspedes says that the Inabie warehouse has been...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2007
Am I surprised? Waste, corruption, mismanagement, poor organization, and inability to follow governmental procedures defines this country at the expense of those at the bottom of society.

• Sad
Reactions: Squat and Auryn

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Am I surprised? Waste, corruption, mismanagement, poor organization, and inability to follow governmental procedures defines this country at the expense of those at the bottom of society.
Don't forget that they just recently cut the funds for education in new budget...

Reactions: Auryn

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
They were working on building a kitchen to prepare student meals across the street from me. All new equipment. New cisterns dug. All rewired and new gates installed. They were doing great work then about a month ago nothing. Tools, ladders, new tiles all sitting inside the gates and noone has been here. No workers. Nothing moved or touched for over a month.

Aug 21, 2007
They were working on building a kitchen to prepare student meals across the street from me. All new equipment. New cisterns dug. All rewired and new gates installed. They were doing great work then about a month ago nothing. Tools, ladders, new tiles all sitting inside the gates and noone has been here. No workers. Nothing moved or touched for over a month.
It happened here with a small school that was being built. It was almost finished and then locked up tight. Turns out the government did not pay the contractor. About 18 months later, the work was finally finished (and I assume the contractor paid) and now the school is being used.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It happened here with a small school that was being built. It was almost finished and then locked up tight. Turns out the government did not pay the contractor. About 18 months later, the work was finally finished (and I assume the contractor paid) and now the school is being used.
I have a lawyer friend who was supplying meals to schools. She got so far in debt she was at the point of closing due to lack of payment from the Gov.
I loaned her 50K last year to try to help but she still went under and had to stop cooking.

She's in pretty bad shape financially but at least her legal work is keeping her head above water.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have a lawyer friend who was supplying meals to schools. She got so far in debt she was at the point of closing due to lack of payment from the Gov.
I loaned her 50K last year to try to help but she still went under and had to stop cooking.

She's in pretty bad shape financially but at least her legal work is keeping her head above water.
I remember reading about a specific case a few years ago where contractors were not being paid by the government and
the government requiring them to uses specific suppliers. Ended with one of them committing suicide.