Waterfalls-can you go independently?

TNJ1996

Aug 8, 2002
My fiancee and I are intrigued about this whole waterfall "jumping" thing...BUT....we're not really sure if we want to do cascading or canyoning....he basically just wants to get to the top and jump into the waterfalls and not really have to work at it...i.e. hiking, etc. So two questions......

I thought I read somewhere on a tour that you can just drive up in a jeep, etc. (they don't mention anything about cascading or canyoning) Anyone ever done this? I think it was Colonial Tours that offered this.

Can you go independently to the waterfalls or do you have to go through a tour operator?

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
If you do a search on Cascadas Damajaguas, the adventure trip, you will get information from a previous thread.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Which waterfall are you talking about? If it's the one at el Limon on the Samana Peninsula, you go in by horseback and then have to climb down to the base of the falls for a swim in the natural pool. You can find more information regarding the Samana Peninsula waterfalls (there are three that I know of) in the Attractions section of www.samana.net

TNJ1996

Aug 8, 2002
thanks, I'll definitely look into them....

The waterfalls that Colonial Tours mentions is Baiguate and Jimenoa....anyone here of them?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Sure

Sure, TNJ, both are near Jarabacoa. I have seen both, and visited neither through a tour group (but then, I lived in the DR at the time and had my own car). As I recall, you can best reach Baiguate by horseback, although I seem to recall some rough road running up to close to it. Jimenoa is at a small hydroelectric plant just before you get to Jarabacoa, on a side road. Nice for a picnic and swimming (as is Baiguate), but you have to pay a nominal entrance fee & walk a winding path & couple of rope bridges. Sometimes gets a bit loud from other picnickers, but all in all worth a visit. Now where are my fotos from that visit....
Best regards,
Keith

Last edited: