We Are The World!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I have to admit I absolutely love listening to "We Are The World!!!" on YouTube.

I just found my World Vision Children's pictures. I have always been a giver and always donated to World Vision.

I just found pictures of a little boy I sponsored for a while back in the late 90's. He is from the Dominican Republic.

I will never forget the day I heard from work that our next work conference would be in the DR. I was shocked to say the least. I couldn't believe we would go to a Country that was so poor and take advantage of it.

I had always had World Vision children from there and did not want to go and sit my ass on the beach while there were starving children just outside of the resorts.

I had travelled all over the World - I knew nothing, I thought I did.

I really did not want to go. I actually found 4 different reasons for our company not to do it here. I tried so hard not to go there. I really did. I was so nieve. I thought I knew it all - I was so wrong.

My first trip there I met my husband. I did not know it at the time.

Then I found the Sankie tank here on DR1 and almost never gave him the time of day. We have now been together for 2 years and have been married for one year with him just immigrating to Canada. Who knew.

We will NEVER turn our back on his family - OUR family - and I am so much richer for it. Money is an object I have heard so many arguments about on this site.

My husband just started work in Canada. It made us talk about one of his former jobs in the Hotel business here in the DR. When we tranlslated the money - we found out he made about 75 cents an hour. This was for a 12-15
hour shift. He went to School for this job. He was doing wonders for his family. 75 cents an hour.

He just got his first paycheque. He was overwhelmed. He immediatley asked me to translate it into pesos. His face dropped when I told him how much he made. 4 days here in Canada - he made more than a months worth of work in the DR. He wasn't excited - he was sad. Sad for all the hardworking people behind in his country.

When tourists come to the DR they think All Inclusive means "All tips included" and end up not giving much. We need to change this . WE as DR1 members. Tell your friends and family to tip - it needs to start somewhere and we can do it.

This is one of the most beautiful countries in the World - let's make it a better one!

We Are The World.

I looked on the World Vision site and there were only a handful of children left to sponsor from here. Let's make it one that doesn't need World Visions help at all.

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
wow what a story thanks lexi
my husband made about the same in the dr for 12 hour shifts
his feet were so bad from walking in horrible shoes while he cleaned and cleaned and never got paid overtime

i think he was making 6 dollars per day
it is very sad
and people neeed to be made aware
yes the resorts show a false perception of what these workers have to endure.

my husband had to pay management just to get a day off

it is horrible and heart breaking