We are very lucky to have CMC!!

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
About 3 and half weeks ago I went into CMC emergency suffering from a terrible headache which was causing vomiting and loss of sight. The emergency Doctor took one look at me and contacted Dr. Spatali the chief of staff at CMC. Within minutes Dr. Spatali had a plan of action which started with a CT Scan. The CT scan showed a growth in my brain as well as massive swelling. Immediately medication was given to reduce the swelling and I was admitted to the third floor for further study. The next morning another CT scan was given as well as an MRI (yes they have all of this at CMC). They were hoping the swelling had gone down but this was not the case and I was now in a life threatening state. Surgery was the only option and this was planned and explained in much detail. Dr Spatali who is a neurosurgeon would head up the surgery with the assistance of two other neurosurgeons from CEDAMAT (an affiliated hospital to CMC) from Santo Domingo. Needless to say I was a bit freaked out about all of this but CMC offered a psychologist (didn't use her) and a Canadian nurse to help explain the procedure and possible outcomes. All of the nursing staff and doctors were so supportive and understanding of my concerns and fears. I underwent 4 hours of brain surgery where they successfully removed the tumor and I woke up in the new critical care unit on the 3rd floor. Immediately they had me move my limbs (which I could do) and speak. I was able to speak clearly in both english and poor spanish (my spanish did not improve but was no worse :) and I was so happy that I made it through the operation without any complications. I can not say enough good things about the care and professionalism that I received during my stay at CMC. I was very close to dying and as far as I am concerned Dr. Spatali and CMC saved my life. I just want to say a big THANK YOU to Dr. Spatali and the STAFF at CMC for the wonderful care and treatment I received and also to say that us residents of the North Coast are very luck and fortunate to have a hospital such as this right here in Sosua....Tom

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Wow!!! That is so nice. Nice to hear that you got great care and even better to know that you are recovering well =)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you have me worried about my headaches now :(

glad you are feeling good and all went well for you. do you have insurance in DR? did it cover most of the costs?

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Fantastic news Tom, it is so nice to hear a good story about them, but most importantly, that you have made a full recovery. I have had to use CMC on numerous occasions for both me and my family, I personally have stayed there on several different occasions and so has my youngest daughter usually for 3 o 4 days and it has been perfect, (with the exception of them coming in at 3.00am each morning and turning on the lights for a blood test, 3.00am..WTF, do they really have to do that???). My wife unfortunately had a miscarriage and the treatment she received was fantastic.....I wish their food was a little better though!!!

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
DV8 unfortunately I have been battling cancer now for the last few years and my insurance did not pay as they will not pay for anything cancer related - if the tumor came back benign they would have paid but since the pathology results were malignant they would not pay. Tee, I am sorry to hear about your many trips to CMC but happy you received good care. I was on the new flooor (3) and I had a menu to choose from each day and I must say I ate everything that was given to me and it was very good. In past hospital stays elsewhere I would not even let them bring the food in the room as it was garbage but this stay the food was actually quite good...tom

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tom, i am really sorry to hear all that. i hope you will fully recover and enjoy healthy life. f**k cancer! you are better and stronger than this bastard.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I agree with dv8...not long ago I read a short poem that was sent to a person diagnosed with cancer. Since then I have unfortunately had to send it to my friend's step father who just got diagnosed. That same friend owns a funeral home and she has now had it printed and framed in her reception area, after reading it you will probably understand why...send it on to those you feel could use it during difficult times:

"When life rearranges itself unexpectedly in front of you, when familiarity and understanding vanish from beneath you, when logic and reason are no longer able to explain away the events unfolding around you, hold on to the strength, hope and love inside and around you."

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
DV8 unfortunately I have been battling cancer now for the last few years and my insurance did not pay as they will not pay for anything cancer related - if the tumor came back benign they would have paid but since the pathology results were malignant they would not pay. Tee, I am sorry to hear about your many trips to CMC but happy you received good care. I was on the new flooor (3) and I had a menu to choose from each day and I must say I ate everything that was given to me and it was very good. In past hospital stays elsewhere I would not even let them bring the food in the room as it was garbage but this stay the food was actually quite good...tom
Tom, would you tell us which insurance company and the policy you have?

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Thanks a lot for sharing your positive experience with CMC !
I wish you and your lovely wife lots of strength for your recuperation.
God bless you!

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I am with Humano. I had to have an emergency surgery to remove a melanoma tumor from my leg about 4 months after purchasing the insurance which Humano classified as pre-existing. Since then they will not cover me for anything cancer related which unfortunately means another surgery, chemo, radiation and now this surgery and whatever treatments are next were not covered. Thank you to the others for your well wishes. I have beat this once and will again...tom

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
double good news. Nice to hear more wonderful things about Sosua. If I lived in Cabarete I would be packing up to move to the cultural, medical center of the entire north coast asap while there is still room.

Since we have not gotten then best care from CMC in the last few years I was really worried about you having your op there but we are so happy everything was great there for you and now have more faith in CMC. Thank you very much for sharing your story.
My Favourite thing about CMC is the food, it is awesome!!

Continued healing vibes going your way Tom!!
I think if more people handled this kind of thing with the positive attitude you have they would heal a lot quicker!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My wife and I are so glad that it worked out for you. Congrats. Maybe we'll see you at the Assoc. meeting tonight.

Rgds.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Tom, we have been following your crisis and treatment on fb and dr1. Wishing you a complete recovery and if not the strength
to face your future struggles. I was glad to hear a positive story about CMC. We have been there 4 times and most recently
in Jan this year when my wife was admitted for 3 days. In Canada I have not met a more caring number of doctors who explained and answered my questions.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
His name is Roberto Spitale .... not Spatele

A$$hole - this is such a wonderful thread - and the best you can offer is an incorrect correction ?

Go away.

Mods - please delete Fredo's crap

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Let's lighten up please - knowing the doctors correct name might be important to someone.

Move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk