Weapons in Plain BUT HOLSTERED view

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Damn Talking About Holsters Ive Been Looking for answers to a Certain Question Noone Thus Far Can Answer For me. I Am A Resident in the Dr but Live Here In the BX Just Bought a Brand New Smith And Wesson 910 9mm With a 15 Round Mag (Almost 3000 USD!! including Both Licenses And 2 boxes of ammo :) Now My Father Also Bought and had Recieved His Fireram Which happends to Be a Carandai 9mm (which i understand is very Popular Over there) Now i want to Know He Carries The Weapon Cross Draw in the Front of His Pants Which Obveously is in Plain View, (Which we Have Passed By Several Cops And They Just Stare At him and dont tell Him anything) Even though The Same Day i recieved the Weapon Happend to be The same day i was Leaving So i got to Fire It Like twice Before I Went Home And Cleaned It For Safe Keeping in my Sentry SAFE Which i had Cemented into the Wall in my Room;) But what i Want to Know is In terms of Carrying i Plan on Buying a Holster Over Here and taking it with me Which after Talking to my FBI employed Cousins I can because it is Considered Apparel and Not part of the Gun in anyway, I want to know For instance i Personally Like the Original On the Belt Outside of the Pants Holsters. Would i be Able to Have The firearm Holstered with Thumb-break in View out side my Shirt or would i Have to Cover it with my Shirt (this would defeat the purpose) i wanna know because my Father Doesnt seem To have A Problem When he Carries in plain view, But then again I am Young So there might me a Difference with me Because of my appearence????

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A few years ago you could carry the gun in plain view, but not anymore, at least not legally. The PN probably will not bother you, but if someone with the G2 catches you, it will be a problem.

It is not a good idea to have the gun in sight anyway. You could be the target of a robbery attempt, as the gun is very valuable here.

Carry it concealed. Get yourself an Uncle Mike inside the waist holster and keep your shirt out. You can buy the holster either here or in the US.

I sometimes use an outside the waist holster, with my shirt out. You cannot see it, and the draw is easy.

Stellar_Holsters

This guy makes a great holster. You would have to check if it will fit your gun. He makes them all custom.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Your father is in the DR or NY when he openly carry his firearm? Because to my knowledge you can't do either in NYC or DR and all licenses are for conceal carry only. (virtually impossible in NYC)

Anywho, I agree with badpiece and sky, concealment is the way to go!! I would like to add that the sky-marshall holster(cross draw) is good and designed if you are driving car. What type of license do you have in the Bronx??

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Be Wise.. Don't break the Law!

It is now illegal to display a handgun on your person, here in the DR (even with a "Porte Permit". If you are an EXTRANJERO, don't do it! You are asking for trouble. Just use simple intelligence. When you are living/visiting as a foreginer in someones else's country... dont break the law...you will be happier for it, believe me!! Only legal Dominican Residents (Blue Card) can own and/or carry firearms in the DR. No exceptions, unless you have a Presidential decree issued. ;)

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
If it's illegal in the Dr to carry an unconcealed that's news to me. You see countless firearms on people every day. Then again people don't stop for lights, why would they start here :bunny:

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
actually nothing here in the U.S. Strictly Over there.But I was going for the concealed look anyway with an inside the pants holster (except while Driving!!) so i can thankfully Say thanks for ur opinions!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are not too bright, are you? that is the way to get into trouble...be aware that people that carry guns had better be real careful ....

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
First off as a foreigner I wouldn't carry a gun around...but if you're going to then, I think the conceal method is the way to go as some people have already mentioned. I've had discussions with my brother about this and he thinks that plain view is better because of the deterrent factor. He carries his out in the open and could care less, but then again he's not a foreigner, has all the permits and knows people in case he finds himself in a pickle.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I think concealing the weapon is definitely the best advice for some one living in the country. But you might want to go on a roof top and let a couple of rounds go just to let the locals know that you have a gun and not to mess with you. This is if you are staying in a barrio which you probably are.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
But you might want to go on a roof top and let a couple of rounds go just to let the locals know that you have a gun and not to mess with you. This is if you are staying in a barrio which you probably are.

Let's not give the OP any reckless ideas, what goes up must come down, we wouldn't want any stray bullets hitting any innocent people:ermm: I think the best thing the OP should do, is live and frequent an area that is relatively safe and hope he doesn't come into a situation that he has to use it.

I have several licenses to carry in the US, but you won't ever catch me hanging around some hood looking for trouble. Even if I am carrying I don't want to encounter trouble or ATTENTION(open carrying)

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
If you have the need to carry a weapon here in the D.R. conceal it, you will be a sitting duck for 2 reasons. First, as others have mentioned, you have the chance of getting mugged as guns are highly expensive, and secondly some people are going to think that you need a weapon as you need to protct your finances and so risk being followed back to wherever you live and could proceed in robbing you, your valuables and quite possibly your gun too.
Think of it like sex, if you are gonna do it, cover it up...lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wonder, just hypothetically - how do you conceal weapons if you're a woman? (it's DR so no long jackets, obviously). i'm only getting james bond style ideas...
you, men, have easy lives...

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Let's not give the OP any reckless ideas, what goes up must come down, we wouldn't want any stray bullets hitting any innocent people:ermm: I think the best thing the OP should do, is live and frequent an area that is relatively safe and hope he doesn't come into a situation that he has to use it.

I have several licenses to carry in the US, but you won't ever catch me hanging around some hood looking for trouble. Even if I am carrying I don't want to encounter trouble or ATTENTION(open carrying)

I wasn't serious. But I'm not so sure the OP is either. I guess if you hang out in $hithole you need a gun.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Let me Clarify

i went and bought my Gun Along with my Father in D.R. Because They Broke into The House Next To mine And Shot A Little Girl Luckily the Poor Little Thing Pulled Through....... i do Not Carry a Gun Here In the U.s. Nor Does My Father (there Seems to Be Confusion here)
Me And My Father Went And Bought Guns to Secure Our Home (not To Be Show Offs Or Look for Trouble) My Uncles Are All PN And Military (Almost Same Thing) We Donot Look for Trouble But Yes We Are Well Trained Here As We Both Took Self Defense Courses And Firearms Training SomePlace In Jersey. WE Bought the Firearms Brand new in Box With Both Licenses Tenecia Y Porte.my Father Bought His a Week Before i bought mine. so we went And Shot some Rounds Over At Our Finca In Altamira. I thank You All for Your Responses But for some reason Most of the People who have Responded Have all responded With The One Answer (If you Have a Gun Your looking for Trouble) I dont live in a Barrio But I do Live Around Los Altos De Rafey in Santiago So Yes Criminal Intent Is High in that Area. i live in a House 2 floors so Robbers Always have There Eyes on it. Plus My Parents Drive A Nissan Armada So you Can Imagine. You Try Having a Gun Pointed at your daughters Head And Hearing About it.. I wonder How You Would Feel. i dont Belive In Guns But after This Situation Yes i believe That is the Only Option. Look for Trouble NEVER!!!!!!! Kill Someone Because i feel Like it HELLL NOOOOOOO!!! But Enter My House and Try to Harm Me Or My Family I Believe Everyone Else Here Would Do the Same Thing. we bought the Guns For That Reason. We Dont Own Guns in the U.S. Nor Will We Ever. But over There I think It Is A Way of Life At this Point. Once AGain I dont Believe In Killing Nor Looking For Trouble. But Yes To Protect My Love Ones Then Me. I would Give My life For Them Period. ill Be Damned If im Gonna Let Some Punk Injure One Of my Family Members Because Of that GET A GUN AND YOUR LOOKING FOR TROUBLE BS. my Parents Go Over There Every summer I go At Least Every 4 or 5 months or so, Therefore Im More Active Over There. Once Again Im not Affending Anyone I Thank You All for Your Responses. Hope to See Some Replys And Thoughts.;)

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Hey, guns are liability until you need one and dont have it. Anyone who is going to carry shouldn?t need advice. For home protection it is ideal. Walking around is a different story no?
At one time I lived on a farm quite secluded and wouldn?t have dreamed of not having my 40 H and K by my bed. Luckily I never had to make the life altering decision to use it, never showed it off, but I did know that from inside my home I could protect myself and my family if need be. Alos, I am a firm believer that practice makes sense, and that familiarity with your firearm, whether for sport or defense, makes you a safer owner and more effective in a fast situation. AND, I dont have children....

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Since you have the license and possess a firearm already, you should strongly consider taking an NRA course and possibly some training courses, which will teach you proper draw techniques, safety, and home protection (if need be) in case of intruders. You stated that you live in the Bronx, so you can look for training in Connecticut & Pennsylvania. pm me if you want locations & numbers.

Drawing from a holster takes alot of practice (dry firing), rapid shooting, shooting with weak hand, both eyes open at a moving target of distances of 0-7 yards is real difficult to the untrained (reasons why so many civies get hit by stray bullets). Did you know that an attacker can reach his victim at a distance of 21 feet in under 2-seconds? So anybody contemplating carrying should understand that. Do you know what to do if your firearm jams, squib load or even misfires?

Personally, if I was in a tough area which I strongly believe shyt could happen, I would carry a .357 snubby in my pocket holster.

Ricardo
"A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone"

Last edited:

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
i went and bought my Gun Along with my Father in D.R. Because They Broke into The House Next To mine And Shot A Little Girl Luckily the Poor Little Thing Pulled Through....... i do Not Carry a Gun Here In the U.s. Nor Does My Father (there Seems to Be Confusion here)
Me And My Father Went And Bought Guns to Secure Our Home (not To Be Show Offs Or Look for Trouble) My Uncles Are All PN And Military (Almost Same Thing) We Donot Look for Trouble But Yes We Are Well Trained Here As We Both Took Self Defense Courses And Firearms Training SomePlace In Jersey. WE Bought the Firearms Brand new in Box With Both Licenses Tenecia Y Porte.my Father Bought His a Week Before i bought mine. so we went And Shot some Rounds Over At Our Finca In Altamira. I thank You All for Your Responses But for some reason Most of the People who have Responded Have all responded With The One Answer (If you Have a Gun Your looking for Trouble) I dont live in a Barrio But I do Live Around Los Altos De Rafey in Santiago So Yes Criminal Intent Is High in that Area. i live in a House 2 floors so Robbers Always have There Eyes on it. Plus My Parents Drive A Nissan Armada So you Can Imagine. You Try Having a Gun Pointed at your daughters Head And Hearing About it.. I wonder How You Would Feel. i dont Belive In Guns But after This Situation Yes i believe That is the Only Option. Look for Trouble NEVER!!!!!!! Kill Someone Because i feel Like it HELLL NOOOOOOO!!! But Enter My House and Try to Harm Me Or My Family I Believe Everyone Else Here Would Do the Same Thing. we bought the Guns For That Reason. We Dont Own Guns in the U.S. Nor Will We Ever. But over There I think It Is A Way of Life At this Point. Once AGain I dont Believe In Killing Nor Looking For Trouble. But Yes To Protect My Love Ones Then Me. I would Give My life For Them Period. ill Be Damned If im Gonna Let Some Punk Injure One Of my Family Members Because Of that GET A GUN AND YOUR LOOKING FOR TROUBLE BS. my Parents Go Over There Every summer I go At Least Every 4 or 5 months or so, Therefore Im More Active Over There. Once Again Im not Affending Anyone I Thank You All for Your Responses. Hope to See Some Replys And Thoughts.;)

Out of curiousity, did you train/certify with Latief at NJFAA? If so, that's damn good training! Welcome to the club ;)

CJ