wearing shorts

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
So That's What's Going On!

Chirimoya said:
My husband wears shorts much more often than most Dominicans, and then gets irate when he is mistaken for a gringo! "Change dollars!" "Taxi!" "Haitian paintings?"
Chiri

And I thought having my cell phone on protected me from all that!

But then, how does the change guy on the corner know to yell at me while I am driving byin the car with the windows up where he can see my pasty white 40 year old legs?

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
1st class

we fly first class to DR, and my husband has worn shorts and there has been no problems EVER.......
A group of us flew back together in first class and were comfortably dressed as it was very hot and we knew when we'd land it would be as well....the girls had nice short outfits and then men had tasteful shorts with t-shirts and sneakers....not one problem

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Comfort first

I think it's really old-fashioned to dress for a flight. Back when airplanes were an innovation, and sailing (!) was still an option, people would get all gussied up for flights. But now? If people are using casual dress at the office, then it seems a bit gauche to dress up to fly - like you've never been on a plane before, or something.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Comfort first

Jane J. said:
I think it's really old-fashioned to dress for a flight. Back when airplanes were an innovation, and sailing (!) was still an option, people would get all gussied up for flights. But now? If people are using casual dress at the office, then it seems a bit gauche to dress up to fly - like you've never been on a plane before, or something.

I agree. BTW, AA is very lenient I've never had a problem wearing jeans either.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I used to dress like a "Bum" too!

But after 8 years living in the DR it would make me feel "uncomfortable"! I don't usually wear a jacket,but I like to wear a Long sleeved shirt with a tie.I always fly first class,and it does make a difference in the way you are treated by the flight attendents and even the gate personel.Part of "MY" need to wear a long sleeved shirt is that my arms are covered with tattoos,which would put me somewhere between a Haitian and a "Chopo" to a Dominican,and almost anyone else in the world as well!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc
"Its a "Gang Thang"!;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Tony and Cris

Are you guys sure about the "no jeans " rule in flying first class?
A few years ago, I was flying Aer Lingus to Ireland and a friend of mine told me to "see someone" at the airport and that person bumped me up to buisness class. I was dressed in a nice pair of new jeans and sweater &a pair of cowboy boots. I know because I always flew to Ireland dressed that way. I had no problem.

Larry

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Some of the posters mentioned how they dress to fly. We too dress for a flight with clothes we wear to work: And that is NO shorts or flip flops. I think it is tacky to dress like you're going to the beach or golf course and definitely not old-fashioned . The vast majority of passengers that we've seen on a flight dress appropriately.

As far as DR, we wouldn't be caught dead wearing shorts in the evening because DR residents don't. And I'll tell you, it has been very obvious in restaurants that we've gotten better service than the group of tourists at the next table with t-shirts,shorts, and sneakers.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
JanH said:
Some of the posters mentioned how they dress to fly. We too dress for a flight with clothes we wear to work: And that is NO shorts or flip flops. I think it is tacky to dress like you're going to the beach or golf course and definitely not old-fashioned . The vast majority of passengers that we've seen on a flight dress appropriately.

Good point, but what is "appropriate" to you may not be so for someone else.
The fact that i chose to wear a comfortable short pants suit doesnt mean i am dressed inapproriately...i think comfort is very important when travelling. As long as i am dressed in good taste, neat and well groomed i dont really think it should matter.

NOW, if we are going to say inappropriate...its these women that travel to dr with their entire jewelry collection on at once, tight "chiclet" jeans they cant breath in, the whole bottle of perfume sprayed on, hair do's as if they are going to a wedding and tops that should be illegal to SELL to anyone over a certain age!!!! TACKY

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Lalla - you're right about the "over dressed" too. LOL

A "shorts suit" is always fine for women. I just disagreed on the t-shirt/sneakers thing for men. I guess because my husband only wears that to mow the lawn. We tend to dress well wherever we go. Just a matter of preference.

Have you ever been on a flight to the DR with native DRers? They dress "to the nines". Very interesting to sit back and watch.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
Jan, I totally understand what you are saying....its terrible to see men dressed very sloppy and beat up sneakers and torn jeans/shorts......it def should only be reserved for mowing the lawn lol

BUT there are exceptions i think. I think a man that wears shorts nicely pressed and a t shirt (not the one he uses to mow) and nice clean sneakers doesnt look bad either. I think its a comfort thing for men as well as for us, i would never think to wear my high heels on a trip yet everytime I go to DR these women are in their highest heels struggling with their luggage and holding up their shirts for fear a boob might slip out, while at the same time, tugging at their jeans from behind becuase they are so damn tight and low u can see their piggy banks.....

comfort for me and my hubby any day over being FANTAMOSO!!!

:)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are some formality rules on dress code in the DR that take some foreigners by surprise. Certain government offices will insist on a dress code: Recently I was not allowed into the JCE building at La Feria even though I was in reasonably smart linen trousers and a blouse - because it happened to be sleeveless. Women wearing garish low cut lycra tops were OK, as long as they had sleeves. I was a bit irritated as I looked perfectly respectable and it is a tropical country after all. Some days I can't even tolerate short sleeves so I wonder how the men in shirts and jackets cope.

Once at the driving licence place I was turned back for wearing shorts, so I had to put my husband's trousers on while he waited in the car wearing my shorts - yes, they must have wondered what we were up to in the car park at 10 in the morning.

On a flight, dress for comfort. I agree with Jane J and the others who said it is extremely tacky to dress up for a flight, almost as bad as taking your own sandwiches!

Chiri

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The dressing up part must be a carry over from the spaniards, as I see it happen all over Latin America. I was in Mexico for a project and women there dress like they're going to a wedding, just to go to work. The same in the DR. I like it that way. I must admit that I've gotten a lot more casual over the years. I normally now wear jeans and a t-shirt when I fly. Most people you see dressed up to go on a plane are the ones who don't fly a lot. When you fly out twice a week, every week, it becomes pretty annoying to get dressed up and you just want to be confortable. I think the same thing is happenning in the DR as it gets more influence from the US. For instance, as HB stated, Jeans are now accepted pretty much anywhere...It wasn't the case 15 or 20 years ago. I wear shorts both in the US and in the DR, depending on where I'm going. Very rarely at night, though, unless I've been wearing them since the afternoon, been partying and don't feel like go back home and change. Besides they're appropriate at any carwash...

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Lalla - Yeah, I've seen those people arriving at POP, struggling while wearing the CFM shoes. I think they are mostly dominicans that dress like that - at least the caucasian looking people don't dress that way.

But, you know, our maids at our house in DR wear high heels to clean in, with tight, tight pants, and lycra tops. the girls are darling, but...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: Comfort first

Jane J. said:
JJ,
Maybe, but when was the last time you saw widespread practice of "casual dress at the office" in Latin America? When I lived in the DR 1995-99, the most casual I saw in offices I visited was guayaberas instead of dress shirts with ties.

I've relaxed on dressing up for flights -- I don't wear coats and ties, and recently I have taken to wearing nice white tennis shoes (makes it easier to run between terminals! :confused: ) But I always wear nice slacks and a nice shirt.

Too many North Americans these days dress down too much when flying. I personally can't stand the folks (far too plentiful these days!) who get on a plane looking like they just came out of the weight room at the health club. :mad:

I never wore shorts outside of the home or on the beach (note how I phrased the latter) while I lived in the DR four years. Jeans, yes, to go shopping at the supermarket or pick up the kids at school or pay the CDE or Tricom bill. But not shorts. If I was going to church, visiting family, attending a business meeting, going to a government office or attending a party, I always always wore nice slacks on such occassions. That's what adult Dominican men wore, so I did as well out of respect. It's that simple.

Best Regards,
Keith

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
JanH said:
Lalla - Yeah, I've seen those people arriving at POP, struggling while wearing the CFM shoes. I think they are mostly dominicans that dress like that - at least the caucasian looking people don't dress that way.

But, you know, our maids at our house in DR wear high heels to clean in, with tight, tight pants, and lycra tops. the girls are darling, but...

ahahaha ur kidding!!! all in the name of "fashion"....who cares that the corns are crying and the back is aching, long as they look good bending over...hey

unbeleiveable!

ur right, the dominicans ARE the culprits....

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
...seems a bit gauche to dress up to fly - like you've never been on a plane before, or something....

most frequent flyers will dress appropriately. ever been at the airport when an MLB/NHL/NBA team is passing through?---almost always in suits. and isn't it always the guy in the sweat pants holding up the line at immigration because he doesn't have a passport?

my general rule of thumb: dress at least equivalently to the people who are serving you in an establishment, be it an airline, restaurant or bank. if anyone deserves to dress for comfort they do. (in other words, if you want to wear a tank top fly hooters air. )

mob

ps. this isn't just a Latin American phenomenon, it is true of any of the islands that i have travelled to.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Listen, my husband and I travel a great deal to Europe and there is no way I'm traveling to France, where we go must of the time to visit his parents, in high heels and a suit. I always do so in nice jeans and a silk blouse. I've never had any problems. I think is a matter of class. People are not stupid, they size you up and they know right away, who has it or who doesn't.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
JanH said:

This is so funny. Now, after all these years, I know why my mom makes them wear a uniform. I often asked her why the uniform, and she w/ say, they can clean the floors better that way and they can move around easier. But she never explained about the tight pants, etc.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Forbeca said:
Listen, my husband and I travel a great deal to Europe and there is no way I'm traveling to France, where we go must of the time to visit his parents, in high heels and a suit. I always do so in nice jeans and a silk blouse. I've never had any problems. I think is a matter of class. People are not stupid, they size you up and they know right away, who has it or who doesn't.
Only people with no class worry about if others think that they have no class. Just like the only people that worry about money are those that don't have any.

I travel comfortable to suit me not others. I wear a tie and jacket if I have business at the other end and no time to shower and change. Otherwise it is comfort, comfort, comfort without a care in the world about what anyone thinks. I wouldnt be comfortable traveling nakid so I don't think I would be insulting anyone or complementing whichever the case may be:)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
JanH said:

We have had a couple of cleaning women over time and neither dressed like that. But then I am not as handsome as Doug (Mr. JanH) is.