Webcam Sosua Bay?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Is there a webcam at Sosua bay or a way to check the water if it's rough or calm before going?

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Not that I know of,.....but the surf seemed pretty rough (for playa Sousa) mid-morning today.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
The only ones I have seen are pretty crappy ones for Cabarete and Bayahibe. Crappy in the sense that even though they are there, they are pretty lame in what they are showing.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Those were all the ones I found.  Oh well, maybe sometime there will be one.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
In my experience, the only time Playa Sosua is rough (and it can of course get very rough) is when the wind is on-shore (that is from the North, usually with a bit of West in it) and greater than 6 knots. It also needs to have been persistent, blowing for a few hours (usually that means overnight).

Checking the waves at Cabarete shouldn't tell you a lot (unless they're really ferocious) because of the offshore reef. That of course is one of the features that makes Cabarete an ideal wind-sport site.

If waves are breaking over the seawall on the Malecon or on the cliff at Casa Marina, I'd say it's a no-swim and no-dive day in Sosua or anywhere on the North Coast.

That's the observation of a sailor (ex-sailor now).

wbr