West jet

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Anyone here anything about west jet not flying to POP June to October ..I usually pre buy my flights and there are none for summer..

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I can’t find anything decent out of Puerto Plata, any time of year.

Any time I’ve looked at West Jet flights from anywhere in the DR to western Canada, there has been a minimum of 2 and frequently 3 layovers. Often $1000+ but cheaper on occasion. West Jet is failing miserably.

In fact I can’t even find anything on the Air Canada app for POP-Toronto to get out of here for Semana Santa.

• Love
Reactions: thompstr

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018

Any time I’ve looked at West Jet flights from anywhere in the DR to western Canada, there has been a minimum of 2 and frequently 3 layovers. Often $1000+ but cheaper on occasion. West Jet is failing miserably.

In fact I can’t even find anything on the Air Canada app for POP-Toronto to get out of here for Semana Santa.
I'm coming down air transat jan31 to feb 28th
Might have to try them

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR

I always fly WestJet (to and from Toronto) and they are the best airline. Always $500+ cheaper than AC and mostly on par with Air Transat but without the terrible service and with more legroom, and they fly to Terminal 3 which is the most convenient. Also they don't bother with the return ticket BS, flew Air Transat once and they didn't let me board without having the return ticket booked. Hope they never go bankrupt.

Reactions: bob saunders

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I flew Air Transat Toronto to Samana earlier this month and wasn’t asked about return. Better service than Air Canada. Kids got little packages with activities etc.

I’ve flown almost exclusively Air Canada from the west through Toronto to DR and vice versa the past 4-5 years with maybe 2 delays the whole time, including this December. WestJet has been $300-$500 more and often has 2-3 layovers to get beyond Toronto.

My dads friends have been coming to Casa Marina in Sosua since 2010 at least, flying only WestJet. This year they cancelled voluntarily. They were booked to go to Mexico this past November. Their flight was delayed at the airport 3x, moved to another city, 3 days later, then cancelled altogether. The WestJet staff provided compensation to about 30 people waiting in line and then closed the ticket counter and left.

• Sad
Reactions: thompstr

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I flew Air Transat Toronto to Samana earlier this month and wasn’t asked about return. Better service than Air Canada. Kids got little packages with activities etc.

I’ve flown almost exclusively Air Canada from the west through Toronto to DR and vice versa the past 4-5 years with maybe 2 delays the whole time, including this December. WestJet has been $300-$500 more and often has 2-3 layovers to get beyond Toronto.

My dads friends have been coming to Casa Marina in Sosua since 2010 at least, flying only WestJet. This year they cancelled voluntarily. They were booked to go to Mexico this past November. Their flight was delayed at the airport 3x, moved to another city, 3 days later, then cancelled altogether. The WestJet staff provided compensation to about 30 people waiting in line and then closed the ticket counter and left.
I flew from POP to Toronto, Toronto Vancouver in October. No layovers and only a two wait in Toronto going west, and a five hour wait in Toronto returning to POP. I actually prefer to fly from Santiago on AA to Miami, then AA to Denver, Denver to Vancouver. I have did Delta to Newark and then Vancouver but always a super long wait. Air Canada has lost my luggage twice and West Jet gives me up to 4 checked bags free for being a Veteran.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Flying Toronto to pop 8 yrs no problem...I do know it's more difficult for western Canada flyers on all airlines..
Just surprised no summer flights this summer west jet or haven't posted yet :(

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Today I spoke to a friend that is a pilot for Air Canada. He said that West Jet is apparently experiencing a pilot shortage because their pay & benefits aren’t competitive. Also, that most pilots in the industry are West Jet as a step in the path to better companies, whereas it used to be on top.

Existing pilots are advocating for better. Whether they’re successful or not remains to be seen.

Reactions: JD Jones