Whales have arrived in the Punta Cana area!

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Do any of the restaurants in that area serve whale meat???
It's very good.I ate it all the time when I was in Japan.
Next to "Stewed Cat",Whale is the BEST!
CC

You forgot to add in horse and dog to your list................;)

On a more serious note the whales are an amazing sight - freedom, power and a sense of connection to all life on the planet were my first impressions the first time we saw them

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Is there any area in particular that they are found more often than another on the east coast? I would go anywhere from Boca de Yuma to Miches to see them... (and yes, we have been to both before on previous trips so I know what I'm saying!) :glasses:

My friend that works at the Corales Golf Course right next to the airport saw them almost every day last year. The ocean in that area is quite deep and as they pass thru she says you can see them feeding sometimes and it's quite a sight to see. Another friend was staying at a hotel in Bavaro last year and a whale breached about 300m from the beach. So keep your eyes open and you just might get lucky!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My friend that works at the Corales Golf Course right next to the airport saw them almost every day last year. The ocean in that area is quite deep and as they pass thru she says you can see them feeding sometimes and it's quite a sight to see. Another friend was staying at a hotel in Bavaro last year and a whale breached about 300m from the beach. So keep your eyes open and you just might get lucky!

The humpbacks do NOT eat when they are here. The krill that they eat is only found in northern waters. They fast while they are here. They are here to mate and give birth. The babies are breast fed and have to learn to dive deep to swim north for their feeding grounds.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The humpbacks do NOT eat when they are here. The krill that they eat is only found in northern waters. They fast while they are here. They are here to mate and give birth. The babies are breast fed and have to learn to dive deep to swim north for their feeding grounds.

Ookkk... the whales were simply having fun in the waves then. My bad.

valetica

Dec 19, 2011
Some friends of mine saw them the other day in Bavaro as well. I've got my eyes trained on the ocean all day at work, but so far no luck. Will advise!

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I went out with Kim Beddall this morning from Samana and had marvellous luck! We saw a single male by himself first while we waited to see a female with 7 or 8 males. I have to check my recording as I lost track as to whether it was 8 total or 1 female and 8 males. We go to see them right beside us for over an hour! Just amazing beyond words!