What are the Laws

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
Hello all :), I have read this forum and have found some very helpful information, today I am writing using the handle of a Dominican friend/business partner.

We are looking into opening a small Hotel near the colonial zone. I have seen the other business around that area and I have some questions.

1)I know that prostitution per say is not illegal in the DR, not that it?s legal, just that it?s not in the books as a no no. But being a pimp is illegal, so how do all these MP and casas work, what laws do they use to operate.

2)If in my Hotel I permit Chicas (Hookers) to hang around and get clients from the clients that come to my Hotel. Would I be breaking any Pimpping law?

3)If the Chicas pay me a fee to let them work on the premises, would I be breaking the law?

4)If my clients from the hotel pay me, not the Chica, then I pay the Chica, What law would I be breaking.

5)I would not be there all the time, I would come down about 4 times a year, my Dominican partner would be running things, what type off position would he be in, would he be subject to some sort of shakedown from the cops. And since thing would have my name too when I come down would I be subject to problems also.

6)I trust my Partner since he has interest in some businesses with me here in the USA so I have no fear of him cheating me, I am just concerned of the legality of this type of business, and which is the best way to create it.

I have been to many casas in Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata and Sosua. I even know of Hotel that more or less run the type of business I want to run. Never been able to chat with the owners. Maybe the lawyers on this board can help.
:cool:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Did you read the long brothel thread that is still going? Unelss you are well connected and Dominican good luck with this venture and in the capital to boot. I think the majority of your questions make it sound like running a brothel rather than condoning the activity which most hotels, even the Jaragaua do. Have a big sack of payoff cash at hand.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
In 23 years in the practice of law, I've seen alot of stupid questions asked. These are near the top of the heap. A Dominican partner? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
"What the laws are" really isn't the relevant question here. Shakedowns occur whether one is breaking a law or not. If the question was "will I make serious enemies carrying out this sort of activity?" the answer is "yes".

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
What is wrong with that?

KenoshaChris said:
In 23 years in the practice of law, I've seen alot of stupid questions asked. These are near the top of the heap. A Dominican partner? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

What is wrong with a Dominican Partner, this guy has been my friend in the high and low, we served together in the army, he has been to my wedding and I to his. My children call him uncle and his call me uncle.
I find your comment very rude and offensive to Dominican people in general and to him in particular. If it is true that you have 23 years in the practice of law I feel sorry for your clients because a person that alienates a whole group of good people just like that has no moral backbone in my book.

And if my questions are stupid, why answer in such in idiotic manner?

Good Day

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
I plan to.

Lottusflower said:
Enough Said....

Thank you, and yes I plan to visit a lawyer once I get to the DR, I just wanted some info before hand, just in case some more details or ideas came up with some responses from this board that I my have not thought of, or the lawyer I see my not be aware of.

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Did you read the long brothel thread that is still going? Unelss you are well connected and Dominican good luck with this venture and in the capital to boot. I think the majority of your questions make it sound like running a brothel rather than condoning the activity which most hotels, even the Jaragaua do. Have a big sack of payoff cash at hand.

Yes I did, but I?m still in between the idea of a brothel or just a small hotel, with girls that hang around. Thank You

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
do you have friends

Lambada said:
"What the laws are" really isn't the relevant question here. Shakedowns occur whether one is breaking a law or not. If the question was "will I make serious enemies carrying out this sort of activity?" the answer is "yes".

Thank You, do you have friends that have been subject to these shakedowns.
Are the done by the cops or by thugs.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Domwolf said:

Yes, and they are the same thing here.

No one at any level of Dominican society will defend the rights of someone involved in the sex trade, so by getting involved you are declaring "open season" on yourself, which was already partially declared by you being a foreigner.

There is a good reason why pimps are generally portrayed in movies as nasty lowlifes who would serve society best by committing suicide and who generally respond violently to competition.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Delusional

Domwolf said:
Yes I did, but I?m still in between the idea of a brothel or just a small hotel, with girls that hang around. Thank You

Sorry, you re delusional. You claim you are just a small hotel with girls hanging around!!!!! You are kidding right..... Then you say, they could pay you a fee.... or..... you could collect money and pay them..... or whatever line you are trying to feed us....

If it looks like a dog, barks like a dog and #$%*^(*& like a dog..... guess what --- it's a dog!!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Domwolf said:
NO, Domwolf, I do not! I, as a foreigner, am very careful about my reputation here..........I do not count among my friends people running brothels. I personally think brothels are fine, but as MrMike says, people running them are persona non grata. So here in the DR, brothels are not fine & as I choose to live here I will accept the prevailing norms as to morality (in this instance, at any rate!).
The shakedowns are done by cops & anyone of sufficiently high stature in Dominican society can get them organised very easily.

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
Thank You

MrMike said:
Yes, and they are the same thing here.

No one at any level of Dominican society will defend the rights of someone involved in the sex trade, so by getting involved you are declaring "open season" on yourself, which was already partially declared by you being a foreigner.

There is a good reason why pimps are generally portrayed in movies as nasty lowlifes who would serve society best by committing suicide and who generally respond violently to competition.

I appreciate your answer even if it contains some of your own social commentary, I take it for what it?s worth and understand your point and experience on the matter.

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
I'm glad you are happy

planner said:
Sorry, you re delusional. You claim you are just a small hotel with girls hanging around!!!!! You are kidding right..... Then you say, they could pay you a fee.... or..... you could collect money and pay them..... or whatever line you are trying to feed us....

If it looks like a dog, barks like a dog and #$%*^(*& like a dog..... guess what --- it's a dog!!!!
When I say I do not know exactly what I want to run is due to the laws in place in the Dominican Republic.

If the law says yes you may run a brothel, then that is what I want to do. (Like some casa I know about)

If the loophole in the law is that I run a hotel and the girls just hang around and that is what brings my clients, than that is what I will do. (Like some adult hotels I know about that are in the DR, even have been presented on Playboy TV.)

If the law does not permit and there are no loopholes than nothing will be done but a small hotel. (Business is business, money is money, and we all want that)

I personally do not have a problem running a brothel if it is legal, as those that run strip clubs here have no problem. I just want to respect the Law of the land. If you do not like the type of business I would to do, than you are more than welcome not to go and that is respected.

But please do not disrespect me, for I have been clear in my question.

If you would like to judge please do so but have more candor and respect as Mr. Mike did. I know this is an open forum and all can put in there 2 cents, but please lets follow some sort of civil guidelines.

Thank you

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
Thank you

Lambada said:
NO, Domwolf, I do not! I, as a foreigner, am very careful about my reputation here..........I do not count among my friends people running brothels. I personally think brothels are fine, but as MrMike says, people running them are persona non grata. So here in the DR, brothels are not fine & as I choose to live here I will accept the prevailing norms as to morality (in this instance, at any rate!).
The shakedowns are done by cops & anyone of sufficiently high stature in Dominican society can get them organised very easily.

Your comment is agreeable and I know that the Dominican Republic has I higher moral fabric in many aspects that here in the USA. I respect you do not what to tarnish you reputation by associating with people that run brothels.

As per my question about the shakedowns, this occurs in many aspect of business life, so my question goes to brothels but also other types of business venture in the DR. So if you have had friends that have been victim of such things you may have an insight.

Since you so clearly have written that they are done by ?cops & anyone of sufficiently high stature in Dominican society can get them organized very easily? that leads me to believe you know someone that has been victim to a shakedown, maybe you write this from comments you have heard.

None the less I would like to hear what has happened, to whom and why. And more important how did they handle it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I know of people who have been "shook" ("shaken" didn't sound right!) by cops, lawyers & just about anyone! To a person, they were all "new" foreigners, who basically tried to run before they could walk. Some were just plain unfortunate, all were in "decent" businesses. The advice, as always, is come & live here, get the "feel" of the place, the language etc if you haven't already, spend lots of time chatting to people who have come from abroad & set up businesses. You can't do this from afar, IMHO, you have to be here. You may want to do a search in Business Forum. Good luck.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
If you open any bar, restaurant or hotel in the DR it is going to attract hookers, period. There are so many hookers in this country right now they are selling phone cards and washing windshields at stoplights. The ones you don't drive off will hang around, and that's that.

I don't think you are going to succeed in organizing them or profiting significantly from their activities though, Dominicans are experts at skimming, not paying taxes, making deals on the side, and these ladies are business women first who will run circles around you before you have any idea what's going on - and besides they have the "law" on their side in case of a dispute.

I think the way that the brothels here do it is they have a regular bar with some hotel rooms out back, so the house's cut is invoiced as a charge for the room, in the case where the customer leaves the premises with a girl, she pays a small fee for leaving work during her shift which the customer is expected to pick up. (she is likely officially on payroll as a waitress or some such job description) Also I think many of the girls live on the premises and pay "rent".

These establishments are said to be backed by the DR military, which would be the equivelant of "the mob" in any other country, and are considered by many to be involved in international human trafficking, a messy and tragic business which is sure to attract international attention before the decade is out.

That's just my opinion though, maybe things will be different for you, and maybe I'll win the lottery this week.

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
Thank You

Lambada said:
I know of people who have been "shook" ("shaken" didn't sound right!) by cops, lawyers & just about anyone! To a person, they were all "new" foreigners, who basically tried to run before they could walk. Some were just plain unfortunate, all were in "decent" businesses. The advice, as always, is come & live here, get the "feel" of the place, the language etc if you haven't already, spend lots of time chatting to people who have come from abroad & set up businesses. You can't do this from afar, IMHO, you have to be here. You may want to do a search in Business Forum. Good luck.

I see what you mean. Thank you for your response.

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
Thank you

MrMike said:
If you open any bar, restaurant or hotel in the DR it is going to attract hookers, period. There are so many hookers in this country right now they are selling phone cards and washing windshields at stoplights. The ones you don't drive off will hang around, and that's that.

I don't think you are going to succeed in organizing them or profiting significantly from their activities though, Dominicans are experts at skimming, not paying taxes, making deals on the side, and these ladies are business women first who will run circles around you before you have any idea what's going on - and besides they have the "law" on their side in case of a dispute.

I think the way that the brothels here do it is they have a regular bar with some hotel rooms out back, so the house's cut is invoiced as a charge for the room, in the case where the customer leaves the premises with a girl, she pays a small fee for leaving work during her shift which the customer is expected to pick up. (she is likely officially on payroll as a waitress or some such job description) Also I think many of the girls live on the premises and pay "rent".

These establishments are said to be backed by the DR military, which would be the equivelant of "the mob" in any other country, and are considered by many to be involved in international human trafficking, a messy and tragic business which is sure to attract international attention before the decade is out.

That's just my opinion though, maybe things will be different for you, and maybe I'll win the lottery this week.

I understand your response and it seems to me you have a good amount of knowledge about the subject since your response has answered about 90% of my questions.

I believe that this is more than just your opinion but a response with some background information. You are a very interesting man Mr.Mike.

But thank you, as I said before many of my questions were answered by your post.

P.S. I do hope you win the Lottery this week, but remember you have to play it to be able to win it. :)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
really?

My sense was that you are trying to get around the laws, thus use of the word "loopholes". That has not changed. I think you want to present that you take the moral highground, respecting the laws, then you want to use a loophole to get around it. It is one or the other but not both my friend.

IF you want to use the sex trade to make money, fine. I don't judge that at all. Just call it what it is.