What are you going to do?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Well that settles it. You are now tasked with putting together the North Coast Emergency Response Team. To join is simple. You have meetings where you determine how people will be contacted in an emergency. My suggestion would be that each person has the emergency number list which list all members cell phone numbers. The victim starts calling the numbers and the first person he/she gets in contact with is responsible for calling all other members. So in Sosua the rondevue point might be the gas station and once the emergency is sounded all meet there. Of course you don't wait til all get there but you wait til several get there then that group goes...someone stays behind to assemble the next group and they go. So you converge on this house in masse and you have meetings to decide how you will respond once you reach the house. You may have cameras to photograph the criminal, guns, machetes. Someone would be tasked with rounding up the police. You are not necessarily going to raid the house and attack the criminal but you have a show of force and you show these bozos that you are not taking it anymore. You would familiarize yourselves with different neighborhoods so you know exactly where you are going. This does not take a lot to organize and what else are you going to do with all that time. Great way to make friends also. You people need to band together because the police arent going to protect or even respond adequately.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
LOL ok good enough

Well that settles it. You are now tasked with putting together the North Coast Emergency Response Team. To join is simple. You have meetings where you determine how people will be contacted in an emergency. My suggestion would be that each person has the emergency number list which list all members cell phone numbers. The victim starts calling the numbers and the first person he/she gets in contact with is responsible for calling all other members. So in Sosua the rondevue point might be the gas station and once the emergency is sounded all meet there. Of course you don't wait til all get there but you wait til several get there then that group goes...someone stays behind to assemble the next group and they go. So you converge on this house in masse and you have meetings to decide how you will respond once you reach the house. You may have cameras to photograph the criminal, guns, machetes. Someone would be tasked with rounding up the police. You are not necessarily going to raid the house and attack the criminal but you have a show of force and you show these bozos that you are not taking it anymore. You would familiarize yourselves with different neighborhoods so you know exactly where you are going. This does not take a lot to organize and what else are you going to do with all that time. Great way to make friends also. You people need to band together because the police arent going to protect or even respond adequately.

Snuffy....very good! Easy does it now. I don't want to start a war. Just would love to know if ex-pats were willing to share each other's cell numbers in the DR. Some others have their little cliques to run to and others don't. I am not interested in starting a clique as I dispise them. However, I will allow anyone who wants my cell number to have it. I would most certainly come to their aid if I am nearby. I would certainly call someone else if I wasn't. I would call my connections which are valid ones if need be. But most certainly the person in need of help would receive just that and not some "blabbity blah blah I told you sos" as their responce.

A

apostropheman

Well that settles it. You are now tasked with putting together the North Coast Emergency Response Team.
it might be a good idea to "task" a full time resident with this don't ya think?:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I wasnt referring to anyone in particular. I simply believe it is time to put this together. There are many more expats now and you have enough interested people to do this. This is not a big deal but it sure would be nice to know you have an entire expat community that has got your back and will be there when you need support. Find solutions. This is one of them.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Honestly

it might be a good idea to "task" a full time resident with this don't ya think?:bunny::bunny::bunny:

It is a grand idea and I would love to see someone chair it for now. I am not a full timer there yet. I am still completing my retirement up here in NY. However, once my feet are on the ground there I will gladly do whatever I can. If that means organizing this entire thing then so be it.

To all that know me I am a doer and not a talker. Consider that some action will take place and some action to be done. There will be some type of support system in place for anyone that is interested in it.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
well you will not be alone. there will be plenty of people interested in taking part. And as that area grows with more expats your support system will increase. Imagine an expat returning to find someone in his home. The expat makes one call. He doesn't get a lazy sleepy cop on the other end. He gets a friend who only needs to hear, "I need help" And within ten minutes he has several friends at his side. It is only part of the solution but it is a big part. You people can advise one another and newcomers about how to secure specific homes...taking a personal look at the home. The newcomer plugs right in and feels a lot better about being there on the N. Coast. And I believe this will encourage others to move here as they know they are going to have a support system in place once they arrive.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
well you will not be alone. there will be plenty of people interested in taking part. And as that area grows with more expats your support system will increase. Imagine an expat returning to find someone in his home. The expat makes one call. He doesn't get a lazy sleepy cop on the other end. He gets a friend who only needs to hear, "I need help" And within ten minutes he has several friends at his side. It is only part of the solution but it is a big part. You people can advise one another and newcomers about how to secure specific homes...taking a personal look at the home. The newcomer plugs right in and feels a lot better about being there on the N. Coast. And I believe this will encourage others to move here as they know they are going to have a support system in place once they arrive.
We've already been doing just that, for years.
It would be good if everybody had a list of 3 or 4 people to call.
The difficult part is the newbies.
They know fewer people. They don't yet know who they can count on.
They may not have good enough friends, who are willing to put their lives at risk, to come and rescue them.
And of course, they are the most prone.
Thieves always pick on the newbies first, as they are easier targets.
There is no magic solution.
They have to take as many precautions as possible, and establish some good contacts and friends.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Contacts are invaluable.
I've been lucky enough to be able to rely on Dominican co-workers and friends. Their #'s are programmed into my cell phone with that in mind. I also have a few expat phone #'s on the north coast that I believe I could rely on if necessary.

I haven't had a burglary type emergency, thankfully, but was with a friend from the U.S. when she fell and broke her ankle. A single phone call got us the best hospital to go to as well as a doctor to meet the ambulance there at 10pm.

I was a few minutes behind another expat friend heading from the north coast to Santiago via Moca. Came around a curve and he'd had a head on collission. A phone call had someone up there in 30 minutes who managed to re-assure everyone involved and kept him out of jail.

Since one can't always rely on the police, ambulances or whatever... it helps to have contacts. Some things we just can't or shouldn't try to handle alone.

ps: in typical Dominican fashion all bystanders in these situations were very helpful and showed real concern. Even to the point of bringing out cups of coffee after the wreck.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Just as another note on general safety:
Any time I drive across the mountains or across country by myself, I let someone locally know in advance where I'm travelling. And they expect a call from me when I arrive. If no call received, I want them sending out a search party :ermm:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I don't know how it works down there, but I'll restate this question-what are you guys going to do when someone(a dominican criminal) gets hurt by one of you guys while answering a call of distress?

Is there anything on the books in the DR that covers vigilante justice?

The reason I ask is because while I've seen plenty of instances of vigilante justice in the DR from Youtube.com, the police and others may have a different view of it when it is a bunch of expats involved.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Been there done that yadda yadda yadda

With all due respect to all that have been doing this. I am happy for you and I am glad that you have your little system down pat. If it is working for you then I congratulate you on that. Then this doesn't interest you as you do not need it. Fine, when in place it will be there for you also in case you do need it.

Now..with that said and done we now move on. With respect to our good friend Marco who raises good points. More and more ex-pats are moving here and more and more ex-pats are getting robbed, hurt and worse.

Perhaps the 3-4 good ole boy system doesn't work anymore? Once I am there full time I will be interested in meeting with those that are also interested in implementing this system and keeping it running.

If you are not interested in this idea and your sole purpose is to keep shooting this idea down. Perhaps I can make a suggestion. Start your own thread.

What we are trying to do here is a good thing. Be part of the solution not part of the problem.

Thanks

Scotty

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I don't know how it works down there, but I'll restate this question-what are you guys going to do when someone(a dominican criminal) gets hurt by one of you guys while answering a call of distress?

The reason I ask is because while I've seen plenty of instances of vigilante justice in the DR from Youtube.com, the police and others may have a different view of it when it is a bunch of expats involved.

Berzin,

Where in any of these posts was it mentioned that we were going to hurt anyone?

If you do not like this idea I will direct you to my last post.

Thanks

Scotty

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

berzin, please keep asking your question .... folks are reeling with the power that comes from their fingertips, i.e., typing the good news...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Scotty,
Just to clarify, my post was in support of the concept of having a support group... whether formal or informal.
If you're able to put something together to come to the aid of each other, I think that's great.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
No one is going to lynch anyone. For starters you can just have a calling system where people show up. It doesn't mean you are going to don riot gear and storm the house. You intelligently work out process that will work without getting you into hot water with the local authorities. There is no difference in this and screaming at the top of your lungs for help and having the neighbors come to your aid. It is just organized, that is all.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Ask questions yes

berzin, please keep asking your question .... folks are reeling with the power that comes from their fingertips, i.e., typing the good news...

I am not condoning violence here. Berzin's question, though a good one has no grounds here. I will not support the idea of violence here. I will not support violence. I never mentioned violence and violence has no place in this thread or in this idea.

So..... what was the question you wish to keep asking?

Again, if you are not a part of the solution you are part of the problem. Stone walls, obstacles and the nay sayers.I love you guys. Instead of punching the heck out of me with things I never wrote. Try bringing something to me that is positive.

Otherwise, start your own thread.

*Sigh*

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
That is all I wanted

No one is going to lynch anyone. For starters you can just have a calling system where people show up. It doesn't mean you are going to don riot gear and storm the house. You intelligently work out process that will work without getting you into hot water with the local authorities. There is no difference in this and screaming at the top of your lungs for help and having the neighbors come to your aid. It is just organized, that is all.

Thanks Snuffy. People are getting this out of hand. Their imagination is running wild as if this is some sort of Orson Wells type of story. Implement a simple system through contributing members which would include me. That is all.

Again, if you don't like the idea. Start another thread.
This idea doesn't interest you. Go with what you use, whom you know and what you do. We couldn't help you even if we tried.

You guys thoroughly amaze me. Someone attempts a good idea and everyone starts shooting it down. Why? Can anyone answer that question on this wacked out board? Why can't people attempt to start a system which assists others that are willing to use it???

No more BS about violence. It doesn't belong here.

A

apostropheman

Thanks Snuffy. People are getting this out of hand. Their imagination is running wild as if this is some sort of Orson Wells type of story. Implement a simple system through contributing members which would include me. That is all.

Again, if you don't like the idea. Start another thread.
This idea doesn't interest you. Go with what you use, whom you know and what you do. We couldn't help you even if we tried.

You guys thoroughly amaze me. Someone attempts a good idea and everyone starts shooting it down. Why? Can anyone answer that question on this wacked out board? Why can't people attempt to start a system which assists others that are willing to use it???

No more BS about violence. It doesn't belong here.
i don't think most here dislike, are disinterested or are shooting down your idea however some are concerned about or interested in how you'll react to the "criminals".

while you may think that talking about potential violence is BS but it's not. i bet the guys breaking into your house or whatever have a different view. it's all well and good to have a few carloads of friends speeding your way but then what?

what if the culprits don't just run away as you suggested in another post? just exactly what ARE you going to do?

assuming you're all unarmed and the thieves are armed....what DO you think will happen?

hiding your head in the sand is not the answer and avoiding this all too likely scenario is just asking for trouble.

oh, and just because you started this thread doesn't make it yours. so you'll likely have to live with the posts of people that don't just accept your view without questioning it. consider it part of the process.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
AS expected

Scotty,
Just to clarify, my post was in support of the concept of having a support group... whether formal or informal.
If you're able to put something together to come to the aid of each other, I think that's great.

We are meeting resistance to a very good idea. Why? Don't ask me.....
When I am there fulltime I will attempt to reach out to those that wish to have a network of people who will at the very least check in on them. when they call.

I am stunned at the ugly responce of a few. I got a question for you folks. If I needed help would I call you? LOL.....yeah ok. Been there done that. No thanks!

Now, back on track. Let's see where we can get this thing going.

Thanks for all the positive support!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Good points

i don't think most here dislike, are disinterested or are shooting down your idea however some are concerned about or interested in how you'll react to the "criminals".

while you may think that talking about potential violence is BS but it's not. i bet the guys breaking into your house or whatever have a different view. it's all well and good to have a few carloads of friends speeding your way but then what?

what if the culprits don't just run away as you suggested in another post? just exactly what ARE you going to do?

assuming you're all unarmed and the thieves are armed....what DO you think will happen?

hiding your head in the sand is not the answer and avoiding this all too likely scenario is just asking for trouble.

oh, and just because you started this thread doesn't make it yours. so you'll likely have to live with the posts of people that don't just accept your view without questioning it. consider it part of the process.

I cannot answer what will happen if someone else responds. I will tell you that if I respond I will have a couple of Dominican soldiers with me.