I like books that are about personal struggle. I like books where the protagonists aren?t all good or all bad. I think that because I am a Dominican that grew up in the US I am always in a state of self discovery. I am not truly Dominican anymore but I am not 100% American. I am interested in the human experience I want to see myself and my world in other people. I'll tell you my all time favorite books and you will understand what I am talking about:
Like water for chocolate
- self sacrifice, maintaining identity when oppressed.
Uncle Tom's Cabin
- believe it or not I read it in high school!!! I was curious about the fact that they call some people of color Uncle Tom when they are perceived to not be ethic enough. I found it weird since the book was written by an abolitionist. I found that it was a beautiful book and that the term Uncle Tom is misused because he did not do what the white man wanted he did what he thought God would want him to do.
When I was Puerto Rican
- Her journey from Puerto Rican to American but not fully either one is hits close to home.
The Joy of being awake
- he is so sarcastic it is so much fun.
Dreams from my father
- incredible BUT I found SO MUCH in that book that I can relate to incredible. I would have never guessed. I think the story is fascinating!!!!!
Joy luck club
- It was an incredible book and I read it when I started college, and my grandmother died and it made me think about my relationship with mom and how we judge our parents without ever taking the time to understand them.
And my all time favorite!!!!
Amor en tiempo de c?lera
: Gabriel Garc?a Marques describes every thing in so much detail. I can practically smell, taste, see, and feel every line in the book. You go through a journey with the characters and really fall in love with them.
Oh and there is this book, it is a collection of short stories from the Spanish speaking Caribbean. I think it is called remaking of a lost harmony
or something like that. I've bought it about 3 times and every time I have to give it away!! The only bad thing is that the compilation has been translated English :0( I would love to read those same stories in Spanish!!! my favorite story is this one called Lulu Metamorphosis. It is written by a Dominican writer and it is about a transvestite. I LOVE it !!! It should be a movie or play or something. Amazon.com: Remaking A Lost Harmony: Stories from the Hispanic Caribbean (Secret Weavers Series): Books: Margarite Fernandez Olmos,Lizabeth Paravisini-Gebert
I've read many other books but these are my all time favorites...