What are your rights?

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
So you are sitting in a restaurant and a man and comes up to you. He says he is a lawyer and you are under arrest. He has a warrant for your arrest. The name on the warrant, well its not your name. Can this man, a lawyer arrest you and force you into his car or is it kidnapping?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course not! An arrest must be made in the presence of a "fiscal", by police. And the warrant should have a judge's signature on it. And it should be in your name, of course, with your identifying documents, c?dula or passport.

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So you are sitting in a restaurant and a man and comes up to you. He says he is a lawyer and you are under arrest. He has a warrant for your arrest. The name on the warrant, well its not your name. Can this man, a lawyer arrest you and force you into his car or is it kidnapping?
Maybe not in another world, but in the Dr, yes.
Not being able to spell or pronounce a gringos name is common and doesn't hold up the justice system.
It's a bit like if a pickpocket robs you and you make a querella against him/her at the cop shop.
The fact that you don't know her name is not a problem.
If you ID her, that's good enough.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Maybe not in another world, but in the Dr, yes.
Not being able to spell or pronounce a gringos name is common and doesn't hold up the justice system.
It's a bit like if a pickpocket robs you and you make a querella against him/her at the cop shop.
The fact that you don't know her name is not a problem.
If you ID her, that's good enough.

So you would willingly get in a car with this man?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
HB might be talking about something else.
Cops can arrest people without a fiscal present.
Also, I know for a fact that misspelled names, or ones that are barely similar, do not hold up the process.
Whether it is 100% legal, who knows, but it makes no difference, as that is the way it's done, end of story.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Also, I know for a fact that misspelled names, or ones that are barely similar, do not hold up the process.
Whether it is 100% legal, who knows, but it makes no difference, as that is the way it's done, end of story.

I didn't say cop, I said a man that claimed to be a lawyer!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, Jimmy said a lawyer, but I know the case he is talking about, and there was a cop or cops there too.
I would not go with just a lawyer, but I wouldn't resist an armed cop.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Scratch this post. I did not see post where Police were present. This changes everything.

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think you need to read the first post again Rocky. He never mentioned Police, only a man saying he is a lawyer.
I know.
But like I said, I know which case we are talking about, the one Bushbaby posted the other day about the posting chica pix on the net.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
But what if the cop was like standing 20 feet away, there but not really there.
There, but not really there?
trick question?
Either he is there or he is not.
In the case that you are referring to, according to the detainee, there was a cop there.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
There, but not really there?
trick question?
Either he is there or he is not.
In the case that you are referring to, according to the detainee, there was a cop there.

I thought Politurs traveled in pairs and not alone. I was just wondering so next time, if it happens to me, I will know what to do.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Only if you are dumb enough to go with him. Tell him to call the Police.

I had a problem with a cab driver. He wanted $50 for a ride from Puerto Plata to Sosua and I said no so he was going to get the police. I told him to ask for so and so and he decided $20 was a better price. He was not a tourist taxi, but not a beat up publico either.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I thought Politurs traveled in pairs and not alone. I was just wondering so next time, if it happens to me, I will know what to do.
Some do, some travel around alone.
Makes no difference.
If a cop tells you that you're under arrest, it matters little if he has a warrant or not.
You have to go.
Lawyers and the boat they sailed in on, can all kiss my butt.