What attracts expats to Santiago?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Medical service and expenses is another one. I wanted to do a certain blood test while in Cabarete, went to that CMC center just before Sosua, they quoted me 1,800 pesos for what costs 600 in Santiago. no thanks.

Yea, the difference is like "living" things.. hard to explain, all those little things that can add up in life are just a fraction of the cost in the central of the country. The coast is great if you don't have these little living costs, like tuition for kids, medical services, culinary classes for the wife, etc etc.. Both places have their charms definitely, but it just depends on your needs.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Not really, it just depends on your circle of acquaintances. Unlike the North Coast ( I used to live there ), everything depends on $$$. When I was single in Santiago (not now ) , friends would bring by a never ending succession of professional women to introduce to me. "Professional Women " in the tourist areas meant one thing, "Ho's", whereas in Santiago, I could meet women who actually had jobs that wasn't on their backs and could count to 10. I met very few who were ugly, a few who could use a trip to the gym or spa, but they don't walk up and down the "stroll" for exercise.

I have a home in Santiago and the U.S., and having lived in a lot of large urban cities, I find Santiago a large city with a small town feel, and I like the availability of goods that are expensive on the North Coast if you can find them at all. Food is cheaper and fresher. Clothes, well unless you're my size, much easier to find ( 6'3 245 size 13-14 shoes are impossible to find in the D.R. , eventually I'm going to open a Big and Tall shop in Santiago ). I don't think it's dirty, and I can compare that to Detroit, Dallas, Little Rock, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Francisco and San Diego, places I have lived in or been stationed in. It is what it is.

As for cost of living? I have a 5 br home in a decent area that I am paying less than half of what I paid on the North Coast for an apartment. As far as safe, it's as safe as any city of it's size. I had some close calls, but no different than anywhere in the U.S. I lived in.

I guess if a cost of living is huge priority than Santiago would be your thing?

I think the reason why i find it so odd is b/c the city I was from was beautiful, clean, little to no pollution, nice people, little crime, so for me to move from Vancouver to Santiago would be the strangest thing in the world!!!! Is there anyone on here who has done that move?
Crap it's a strange move as it is for me and only done so my wife is not in constant pain and well i can retire here at 37 b.c Van is EXPENSIVE!

I also need mountains and ocean, i could never live somewhere without both.
Fresh fish and veggie guys coming to your door every few days are an added plus as well...

But yes everyone has their own thing and lives where they do for a reason!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Before all you guys start packing your bags for a move to Santiago, keep in mind you need some "game" when it come to the ladies in Santiago. Unlike the North Coast, every chica does not think you look like Brad Pitt. :)

The only "game" I ever used was a pocket full of pesos that and you have to wear business casual. Shorts, T-Shirts and flip flops won't cut it. If you have an ounce of sophistication Santiago is an untapped market. (Pardon the pun)., and what ever you do, do not mention you go to Sosua. They will look at you with disgust.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
as one chica told me in santiago, you're "tainted" if you 've been to sosua. it was a real interesting convo especially since she spoke fluent english.

i'm a sosua guy i can't lie but santiago is a breath of fresh air.

I LOVE SO-SEWER !!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you're "tainted" if you 've been

you get that snobbish attitude in any country - some people would never admit to going to say atlantic city usa or blackpool uk etc, but they secretly enjoy it when someone makes them go

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Clothes, well unless you're my size, much easier to find ( 6'3 245 size 13-14 shoes are impossible to find in the D.R. , eventually I'm going to open a Big and Tall shop in Santiago ).
Very interesting idea, one worth exploring. Good luck!

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Just Pesos will not cut it......unless?

The only "game" I ever used was a pocket full of pesos that and you have to wear business casual. Shorts, T-Shirts and flip flops won't cut it. If you have an ounce of sophistication Santiago is an untapped market. (Pardon the pun)., and what ever you do, do not mention you go to Sosua. They will look at you with disgust.

I understand your point and that basically works around the world.
A pocket full of pesos is useless if you do not have the ability to approach and hold a conversation while also looking the part (not like some homeless dude). Throw in some confidence and its a done deal.

I am talking about normal ladies with a job and self respect. The social dynamic in Santiago is different than the North Coast for obvious reasons related to tourism. If you are looking to "buy".... different story and ignore everything I just wrote :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I understand your point and that basically works around the world.
A pocket full of pesos is useless if you do not have the ability to approach and hold a conversation while also looking the part (not like some homeless dude). Throw in some confidence and its a done deal.

I am talking about normal ladies with a job and self respect. The social dynamic in Santiago is different than the North Coast for obvious reasons related to tourism. If you are looking to "buy".... different story and ignore everything I just wrote :)
almost all foreigners on the north coast think a girl is a good catch only if she is not a hooker. This is all they have to compare with. These guys have no idea what type of women are available in this country. Seems like their only requirement for women is black, who is either a bar waitress or from some campo. How can these guys hold a conversation with her, is a mystery. Its obvious some guys got involved with a girl seriously only because she agreed to sleep with them. Its a sad sight to see so many guys paying top dollar for women who look like maids or at best are from ghettos. So don't even tell me about the life in north coast, some guys are pendejos no matter where they go.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Chasing chicas pretty much has the same dynamics anywhere in the world, like Santiago-dude indicated. Woman want to be with a guy who has coin. The more coin you have the more desirable you are. and I'm not talking about a large wad of cash in your pocket type money. I"M talking about security type money. Throw in education, sophistication and good looks and you can have your pick. Do you think Trump would be banging super models if he wasn't rich?
Santiago girls are certainly more sophisticated and educated but they still adhere to the "golden" rule

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chasing chicas pretty much has the same dynamics anywhere in the world, like Santiago-dude indicated. Woman want to be with a guy who has coin. The more coin you have the more desirable you are. and I'm not talking about a large wad of cash in your pocket type money. I"M talking about security type money. Throw in education, sophistication and good looks and you can have your pick. Do you think Trump would be banging super models if he wasn't rich?
Santiago girls are certainly more sophisticated and educated but they still adhere to the "golden" rule

So we agree, no money = no honey.
here is where I am lost. These foreign guys are paying top dollar for a woman who is at best, looks like a maid who cleans exxo gas station bathrooms. they buy her car, fancy apartment with beach view and take her to fancy restaurants, not to mention, pay for all her family as well. Guys, where is common sense? what is the matter with you all? Those women you have are totally free for everyone to take. I just don't know what you guys are thinking. If you are going to pay for love, then get the hottest chick money can guy.
AZB