What Benefit Do We Get From You Guys?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well africaida, maybe I'm odd. Yes I do shop at Supermercado Lindo to buy only things I can't get at Randy, Tangui and other local shops. All other purchases are made at what I perceive to be Dominican establishments ; teeth, tyres etc, car repairs, plumbing gas and water, pool maintenance etc. Without exception they do a good job at much better price than some ex pats I've known.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada, the Spaniard were convinced that they were doing good too....

Indeed, it takes a few centuries of distancing to be able to analyse dispassionately. Or.........an ability to analyse non-defensively.

Ken2 :), the Taino lived in bohios, properly constructed homes with a thatched roof, not caves :cheeky: as far as I'm aware. We know they had furniture. Maybe they just used the caves as their art galleries (cave paintings etc)?

But back to benefits, what do you think Vacara?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well africaida, maybe I'm odd. Yes I do shop at Supermercado Lindo to buy only things I can't get at Randy, Tangui and other local shops.

No you are not, that is exactly what I did, and my wallet was glad I did. ;)
But, I did not get the impression that's what most expats did.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken2 :), the Taino lived in bohios, properly constructed homes with a thatched roof, not caves :cheeky: as far as I'm aware. We know they had furniture. Maybe they just used the caves as their art galleries (cave paintings etc)?

Lambada, I know the Tainos lived in bohios. But certainly you weren't thinking that the people here would have been better off without centuries of development but allow the people of the country you come from to enjoy the conveniences of 2010?

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
To put things in perspective:

Who benefits more as a society: The DR from its foreign resident population, or say, New York from its many Dominican residents?

One benefit which I see, other than money flowing in, is the opportunity which Dominicans have to learn new or different things from people from other places which they may have never seen or experienced if allowed to remain a closed, inbred society.

Foreigners also get their own lessons in life by living here. While many foreigners coming to the DR may justify their desired entitlements to special treatment based solely on their money, this isn't right either.

I know many Dominicans who speak 4 or 5 languages just from exposure to foreigners. This wouldn't have happened if no outsiders came to the DR. The world is becoming a global community, slowly but surely.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Well, we spend money, pay our light bills, don't have any chickens or roosters in the yard, and we don't play boom boxes at full volume. We discipline our children and don't cut ahead of other people standing in line. We drive sanely and consider a two-lane road to be just that. We don't race by pedestrians on motorcycles and grab purses off women's shoulders.

Are these the sort of benefits you had in mind when you posted your question?

So having chickens or roosters in the yard is a bad thing?. Have you heard that "when in Rome do like the Romans"?.

Oh, and by the way; are you suggesting that Dominicans need foreigners example to learn not to grab purses off women's shoulders?.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Actually, I think it is an interesting question.....You might think of a better way to rephrase it Vacara ;)

Every one states money, but from what I have seen in LT, it seems that the bulk of expat money goes to another expat's pocket.

Some expats are business owners, but what is the percentage ? For the others, employment would be limited to household help, no ??

What about the fact that expats drive price ups in certain areas of DR and make it non affordable for most locals?

These are valid questions......

Your name suggest that you are African and I think I read so somewhere. I wonder if your place of origin has something to do with the civility and humbleness seen in your responses.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Lambada, I know the Tainos lived in bohios. But certainly you weren't thinking that the people here would have been better off without centuries of development but allow the people of the country you come from to enjoy the conveniences of 2010?

It's not just the conveniences. Modern farming techniques and infrastructure are absolute necessary in order to support an ever increasing population. If one has any doubt and look at countries without such systems and see for yourself.

Then again, maybe some consider a famine and epidemic outbreaks once in a while a good thing - after all it keeps the population in check.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
But certainly you weren't thinking that the people here would have been better off without centuries of development but allow the people of the country you come from to enjoy the conveniences of 2010?

No but what I was questioning is whether influxes of foreigners have been that positive for the DR, either back in the time of Spanish colonisation or more recently with the arrival of expats in the last 50 or so years.

Leaving aside the issue of money (because for me, that isn't how I measure things) would the majority of Dominicans have been happier if the foreigner had not found their land? You see, I personally would question the long term value of domestic work which expats provide - it might provide a small income today but does it really contribute to long term development of opportinities tomorrow?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Mejorando La Raza"...a Dominican "Old Saying", NOT "Foreign"!

Explains everything!
Thanks to me,there are "AT LEAST" three Dominicans with "IQs" over 80 !!!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Zappa for the people! - although the D.R. has been stony ground, largely.

And I single-handedly keep at least 10 folks employed at the Presidente factory.....

Reactions: rio2003

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......Leaving aside the issue of money (because for me, that isn't how I measure things) would the majority of Dominicans have been happier if the foreigner had not found their land?.........

Probably so.

Where are all the expats at? Locked up behind gated communities? I know it will never change but why do so many expats think Dominicans should live a lifestyle like the expat had back in their country.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Your name suggest that you are African and I think I read so somewhere. I wonder if your place of origin has something to do with the civility and humbleness seen in your responses.

Well, I was born and raised in France, but I hope that I managed to keep the civility and humbleness taught by my parents who are Africans :)

Back to the topic, what do you think Vacara ? Do you think that the negatives outweigh the positives ?

Mar 2, 2008
Hey, 100 is only average.

To debate whether or not the DR is better or worse for all the foreign influence is inane.

There were both good and bad aspects of any foreign assimilation, and there is no way to differentiate between the two aspect; One aspect is simply part and parcel of the other.

However, I do agree with Africaida with respect to asking Vacara what he thinks. Since he posed the question originally, I think he owes us at least a brief synopsis of his opinion.

Reactions: MikeFisher

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
as a dominican who grew up in POP my impression of expats was that they felt they were too good to live amongst the regular people. i never saw them unless i went to an area specifically defined as "for gringos". i now understand some of the reasons why they hide away but i still flinch when i hear expats speaking as if dominicans are wild animals--ON THIS VERY BOARD. you can shove your particular ideas of "civilization" if the hat fits.

you are not superior or above anybody because you have diff ideals, customs or material BS. please stay hidden away w your fellow arrogant expats.

****PLEASE NOTE: those expats w some common sense and decency and RESPECT for dominicans, i respect fully. the rest....hmmph.

Last edited:
Reactions: rio2003 and bigbird
Status
Not open for further replies.