What does a citizen of Haiti need to be "legal" in the DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It seems you are right. He made some enquiries with a pastor, who seems to be the fount of all Haitian knowledge, and he agreed that you can renew a Haitian passport in Santiago but not always. For example, they are not doing it now but they are supposedly going to start again sometime next month. The better news is that they will also be doing a couple of visits to Sosua (which is nearer to him) before that. They are supposedly making two visits of a couple of days each and his pastor will let him know when. What worries him is that he knows a lot of Haitians with expired passports and he doesn't know how they will get them all done.

Apparently the cost will be $200, courtesy of a loan from yours truly.
So for us that are "Haitian passport challenged "...thats just for a passport? What about the visa for the DR?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
TOTAL BS. I know people living here for 30 years on a Tourist Visa. They have cars, have had accidents and have been covered by insurance. And I will give you a perfect example of one of our own on DR1. CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC Cris Colon lived here for 30 years sadly passed away a few years ago. He lived on a tourist Visa, drove a car, had insurance, even worked in a hospital here.]

You have NO clue what you are talking about.............And by the way I do not have a horse in the race myself. I have been a Dominican citizen for close to 20 years.............
Regardless if some insurances pay or not ! Tell the story about CC to the judge after you killed somebody on the road with any US or whatever Licence after staying here for more than 90 days . Good luck with this one !!! My Friend was locked up for 90 days even before his first court appearance. Stop giving people dangerous advises !!!!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Those that promote "no insurance" I suppose have no real assets here in the DR or their country of origins. If they did they would certainly want the protection of insurance to prevent losing those asserts in a adverse ruling against you. Getting Insurance on my car was the FIRST thing I did even before putting the key in the ignition.

Reactions: aarhus and JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Regardless if some insurances pay or not ! Tell the story about CC to the judge after you killed somebody on the road with any US or whatever Licence after staying here for more than 90 days . Good luck with this one !!! My Friend was locked up for 90 days even before his first court appearance. Stop giving people dangerous advises !!!!
That's why one should have Casa de Conductor.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Same result either way. 900 days or 9 days. And I know someone that did exactly what you said. Cost him 25 K US........ Time here DID NOT factor in this at all...........

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My post #70 might be in he wrong place as it doesn't focus on the tread title. If so, mods please move where it relates to Haitians entering the US.