What does a Dominican need to take a cruise originating in the DR?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
What does a Dominican need to take a cruise originating in the DR, assuming the Dominican is willing to stay on the ship at non Dominican ports?

Just cedula?
Dominican passport?
Visa?

Any advice, experience, or recommendations to someone that might know appreciated. Travel agent, etc

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
What does a Dominican need to take a cruise originating in the DR, assuming the Dominican is willing to stay on the ship at non Dominican ports?

Just cedula?
Dominican passport?
Visa?

Any advice, experience, or recommendations to someone that might know appreciated. Travel agent, etc
as far as I know Costa and Norwegian are the only two companies that originate from the DR, I would contact them directly for this info

Reactions: Luperon

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
FWIW, an ex-girlfriend of mine works on an MSC cruise ship. She has to stay on board in most ports.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
NCL will supposedly be going out of La Romana starting in 2024. I would call them and see what is needed. Their itineraries seem to be Southern Caribbean Islands. Many of those ports a visa is needed for Dominican citizens.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

Just cedula?
Dominican passport?
Visa?

Talk to the cruise line directly.

It may be complicated as there are many ports of call, even on a one week Caribbean cruise.
Unfortunately Dominicans need a visa for most countries, making this very difficult.
Even for Dominica they need a visa.

I do not know if without visas the cruise line permits boarding, to just stay aboard for a return cruise originating
And terminating in the DR.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
You will definitely need to talk to the cruise company. They have to declare to the authorities who is on the ship each time it docks, and what type of visa they hold and it makes life complicated if someone doesn't have a visa, for which reason they willr need to give their approval. I can't quite see how it would work in practice because when you arrive at a port, all you show is your cruise card to leave and rejoin the ship. I can't see how they would stop you from getting off. And if she became ill on board and had to be taken off at a port where she had no visa, this could be an issue.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
possibly for work
She's not allowed to go ashore in many ports because she doesn't have a VISA. She can and does go ashore in countries she is allowed to do it.
She's had that job for over 6 years. Now she's trying to get a job on another cruise line that visits European ports.
I asked her once why she didn't apply for a VISA, and she said she doesn't because she knows they won't give her one.