What Dominican Airlines Have You Used?

What Dominican airlines have you flown?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominican airlines tend to have schedule flights within the Caribbean, although many function as charters as well.

Which Dominican airlines have you used? What was your experience? Do you recommend them?

If you haven't flown in one, do you know someone that has? What do they say about the experience?

40796BE5-2344-469F-9F9B-2B7135782C59.png

B3500664-90DF-45A7-BEE1-AFF692C1509D.jpeg

EEC93137-25EB-4D03-97FD-CDD38D887FB8.png

D408E8C7-0494-4C97-BFE0-C97DC9AE74D1.jpeg

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I've only used Aerovías Quisqueyana... during Tricky Dick's first term, and before the Oakland A's won their first pennant.

Those were the days, my friend.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've only used Aerovías Quisqueyana... during Tricky Dick's first term, and before the Oakland A's won their first pennant.

Those were the days, my friend.
I don’t even remember that airline.

I only flew Dominicana for a very long time, beginning in 1975 when I went with some girlfriends for my first trip. The pilot was out in the boarding area for a long time talking to some passengers he knew. I met my future husband the next day, and later found out that pilot was his first cousin (and Balaguer’s personal pilot).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I only flew Dominicana for a very long time, beginning in 1975 when I went with some girlfriends for my first trip. The pilot was out in the boarding area for a long time talking to some passengers he knew. I met my future husband the next day, and later found out that pilot was his first cousin (and Balaguer’s personal pilot).
Found this interesting article about him and another pilot. I had forgotten that he ran SDQ for awhile.

Reactions: Lucifer and dulce

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure Mr. AE remembers Aerovías Quisqueyana. It ceased operations in the mid-1970s.

In 1970, a Dominicana de Aviación's DC-9 crashed in the water shortly after taking off on its way to Puerto Rico.

Among the dead: 11 members of the Puerto Rico national volleyball team and their coach; Carlos "Teo" Cruz, first Dominican to win a boxing title, as well as his wife and two kids also perished; the wife and daughter of Army Major General Antonio Imbert Barrera, one of the individuals associated with the plot to assassinate Trujillo.
That was the second Dominicana accident in less than 9 months, having had a crash in Miami in June, 1969.
After the 1970's accident, the United State's FAA banned all aircrafts operating from the D.R.

Reactions: Buffness

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm pretty sure Mr. AE remembers Aerovías Quisqueyana. It ceased operations in the mid-1970s.

In 1970, a Dominicana de Aviación's DC-9 crashed in the water shortly after taking off on its way to Puerto Rico.

Among the dead: 11 members of the Puerto Rico national volleyball team and their coach; Carlos "Teo" Cruz, first Dominican to win a boxing title, as well as his wife and two kids also perished; the wife and daughter of Army Major General Antonio Imbert Barrera, one of the individuals associated with the plot to assassinate Trujillo.
That was the second Dominicana accident in less than 9 months, having had a crash in Miami in June, 1969.
After the 1970's accident, the United State's FAA banned all aircrafts operating from the D.R.
Yes, he said he flew to Puerto Rico several times with them (says they flew Constellations, meaningless to me, but he’s an airplane buff).

And yes, he remembers the crash. He was friends with one of the stewardesses, Daisy Peña.

Reactions: Lucifer

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Yes, he said he flew to Puerto Rico several times with them (says they flew Constellations, meaningless to me, but he’s an airplane buff).

And yes, he remembers the crash. He was friends with one of the stewardesses, Daisy Peña.
Yes, indeed!
Lockheed Constellation were propeller-driven airplanes, and Aerovías Quisqueyana had several, as well as Douglas DC-3, also a propeller-driven aircraft.

At the time, there were rumors the crash was terrorist=related, in an attempt to kill General Imbert Barrera, who was implicated in Trujillo's death.

Ms. Peña must've been very young. Too sad.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I didn't know that there was any Dominican airlines. If I remember correctly, DR1er Beeza had a small plane and he could fly around the island but he wasn't exactly a airline. Just a good guy

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014

This is so informative for us younger generation . Thank you . Never heard of Carlos Cruz .🇩🇴😢..or the general ...or the airline .

Had us on Google and Wikipedia for a while . 🤓

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I flew Air Santo Domingo a few times back in the nineties.
The planes were smallish, maybe 15 or so pax.
Flew a fam trip to Haiti. (2 plane loads)
We were advised that they could only provide return trip on one aircraft as the second one was not equipped with radar and there was a big hurricane moving in one the island. (off hand I don't remember which one)
Half of our group was left behind.
The rest of us took our cue from the pilot who seemed a little nervous.
We sat quietly, furtively sipping from our bottles of Barbancourt.
Just before flying into Dominican airspace we were advised that we would not be making it back to PUJ.
He was going to land the plane in SDQ.
We griped a little and were told to cool it as we would be lucky to make it even there,
Comforting words from the pilot.
It might have been a lost in translation thing.
Anyways...
I did several trips with them both to Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata.
Finally they didn't have enough demand to maintain their schedules.
Flights were being cancelled so often that they were just not reliable.
I think they just gave up the ghost.
It was a big disappointment as the idea of regularly scheduled flights in the country sure beat the alternative. (Metro)

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
When I first lived here---40 years ago---we did indeed have Air Dominicana. I'm just going to leave that out there: Air Dominicana. I don't think there's more to be said.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I flew Dominicana de Aviacion when I was a child with my mother and older sister. I have fond memories of those trips. I have particularly positive recollections about the food given on those flights but those memories are also associated with delays, long lines and lots and lots of luggage.