What happened to Rincon beach?

go2dbeach

Mar 3, 2012
Corfu island
I'm back from the Dominican Republic second trip there. Having been 20 years ago, I found many things that have changed, which is normal...but I was disappointed with El Rincon beach, which was my paradise on earth and the main reason to revisit the Samana peninsula.
I remember swimming and seeing hundreds of palm trees lining the beach, but now there were just a few here and there and uprooted trunks on the beach. So I wonder what happened...it was a hurricane or what?
Here is a photo from 2003:
j9HFaWA.jpg

and this is a few days ago:
EAn8Din.jpg

Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Well you know Las Galeras has lots of wealthy interpol-wanted French and Italian.

Palm trees are sold to tourist projects and any gringo who wants one for their elaborate drug estate

El Valle is a better spot

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I'm back from the Dominican Republic second trip there. Having been 20 years ago, I found many things that have changed, which is normal...but I was disappointed with El Rincon beach, which was my paradise on earth and the main reason to revisit the Samana peninsula.
I remember swimming and seeing hundreds of palm trees lining the beach, but now there were just a few here and there and uprooted trunks on the beach. So I wonder what happened...it was a hurricane or what?
Here is a photo from 2003:
j9HFaWA.jpg

and this is a few days ago:
EAn8Din.jpg
About 4 years ago, the north side of the island experienced 4 days of waves over 14 feet. This event changed many beach fronts.

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is a disease affecting coconut palms. Keep that in mind.

Also, lots of things can happen "naturally" that can change the appearance of a place. I remember when there was a coconut palm grove bordering the Chavón River and was visible from Altos de Chavón. The Hurricane Georges decided to give the island a visit and bye bye palm grove. The hurricane literally destroyed most of the palms with leaving so few alive you can count them on one hand and that is still the case. Mind you that hurricane was in 1998.

I still don't know why Casa de Campo hasn't planted new coconut palms to create a new grove. That grove certainly added to the already scenic view. I think CC owns that part too (technically their ownership spills to the other side of the river almost reaching Bayahibe, that area was slated for new development in the future including a new golf course. I have no idea if those plans are still in place).

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
We were in Rincon Beach last year....about 85% of the beach areas were covered with seaweed. No one to remove them.
It was a huge letdown

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
Well you know Las Galeras has lots of wealthy interpol-wanted French and Italian.

Palm trees are sold to tourist projects and any gringo who wants one for their elaborate drug estate

El Valle is a better spot
Oh i didnt know you could take a virtual tour to El Valle via google images ? Did you get motion sickness in your canopy covered recliner along the way ?

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
We were in Rincon Beach last year....about 85% of the beach areas were covered with seaweed. No one to remove them.
It was a huge letdown
I had the same experience...although it felt like it was 100% covered and floating in the water. It was super disappointing.