With A Tourist Card Stays Longer Than 120 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
I dont think you understand Dominicans too well. I know very well that I will never be mistaken as a native, however here in Jarabacoa there are many white Dominicans that look less like stereotypical Dominicans than me. If I never opened my mouth many Dominicans here in Jarabacoa would think I was Dominican.

You think you know me and what I may or may not understand already Bob? That's presumptuous and just as erroneous as your belief that you blend so well that Dominicans would not know that you were a foreigner. Dominicans know when fellow Dominicans return to the DR after living abroad for an extended time, so they definitely know when a gringo is a gringo, regardless of color. Also, there is really no need to bring up color.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth

Thanks for the interesting link and list but my point is that, IMO, it is not worth the time, energy and money to get residency compared to the potential advantages. For the most part they don't apply to me, and if pressed I can still peel off a few pesos and have most of the work done for me and begin the residency process. That's an ace I will keep up my sleeve until and only if it is required. I'm not blowing in the wind like some, nor visibly working and I can't recall anyone being penalized merely for owing a business, or a piece of one, as a nonresident. Feel free to give pertinent and timely examples to the contrary if you have them. The key is not to be obvious about it, to be willing and able to pivot and have the resources, of all types required, to do so.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the interesting link and list but my point is that, IMO, it is not worth the time, energy and money to get residency compared to the potential advantages. For the most part they don't apply to me, and if pressed I can still peel off a few pesos and have most of the work done for me and begin the residency process. That's an ace I will keep up my sleeve until and only if it is required. I'm not blowing in the wind like some, nor visibly working and I can't recall anyone being penalized merely for owing a business, or a piece of one, as a nonresident. Feel free to give pertinent and timely examples to the contrary if you have them. The key is not to be obvious about it, to be willing and able to pivot and have the resources, of all types required, to do so.
Like most things in life it is an individual decision based on your own reasoning skills or lack of that will help you make your decision to be legal or not.

Reactions: Michael DR

Dawiky502

Aug 10, 2020
Santiago
Today at 10:00 pm DR time the Migracion Director had an interview on cdn 37.

His points
- They've started deporting Haitians again , this is their main focus.
- 114,000 Venezeluans are here with tourist card ilegally (they will NOT be deported) . Migration is waiting on the national council to decide what to do with them. Plan is to make them legal (residency, job permit etc, Migration national council will decide)
- Director was asked how many ppl from other countries were ilegally here from Europe etc, he did not know.
- He mentioned they have a list of non wanted foreigners in the airport worked through embassies (rapists, pedophiles etc) and they are alerted and prevented entry when they come.
- He said their main 2 problems were to regularize Venezeluans and the work permit renovations of Hatians.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Like most things in life it is an individual decision based on your own reasoning skills or lack of that will help you make your decision to be legal or not.

What's the downside of not being legal if they generally don't enforce it? I know that there have been sweeps where people have been dealt with, deported, or what have you, when caught actively working/running a business.

Hypothetically if one funded a business, say in your spouse's name, and did not visibly work what's the downside?
What if you bought or built a building for the business? There is no law that one must be a resident to own a building.

BTW I'm not actually advocating for not being legal, compliant. I'm simply exploring the realistic downside for the many who have chosen not to become residents vs the cost and hassle of those that have.

Thank you

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete

His points
- 114,000 Venezeluans are here with tourist card ilegally (they will NOT be deported) . Migration is waiting on the national council to decide what to do with them. Plan is to make them legal (residency, job permit etc, Migration national council will decide)
- Director was asked how many ppl from other countries were ilegally here from Europe etc, he did not know.
- He mentioned they have a list of non wanted foreigners in the airport worked through embassies (rapists, pedophiles etc) and they are alerted and prevented entry when they come.
- He said their main 2 problems were to regularize Venezeluans and the work permit renovations of Hatians.
All overstayers on tourist card are registered in the immigration database as we all know, hence they can publish exactly how many Venezuelans are illegaly.
The data can easily be extracted.

When the immigration director don't know (or want to say) how many other overstayers from US/Europe there are, that's says something about their focus/priorities.

I am going to continue hoping for a new smooth residency process that doesn't need a lawyer. ;)

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019

His points

This is exactly what we broke down in the other thread last month. Yet someone refused to believe it. Dios mio poor Winde is going to faint. Bless his heart!

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
All overstayers on tourist card are registered in the immigration database as we all know, hence they can publish exactly how many Venezuelans are illegaly.
The data can easily be extracted.

When the immigration director don't know (or want to say) how many other overstayers from US/Europe there are, that's says something about their focus/priorities.

I am going to continue hoping for a new smooth residency process that doesn't need a lawyer. ;)

All you had to do was look at it logically. Who would be in a rush to rid themselves of 1st world expats and their first world incomes. Even an expat living off social security has far more income than the average dominican. Theyre not in a rush to flush dollars and euros down the toilet. That would be insane.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
All you had to do was look at it logically. Who would be in a rush to rid themselves of 1st world expats and their first world incomes. Even an expat living off social security has far more income than the average dominican. Theyre not in a rush to flush dollars and euros down the toilet. That would be insane.
Of course and that is the position some of us have taken over the course of the past few months. Simple logic. The oposition view point (of one) defies logic and sometimes I'm ashamed to admit I continue the insanity of responding. Note to me: Johne stop the foolishness.

• Haha
Reactions: Andre14615

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Please share the link, I interested to read what you wrote.

I did not say or mean to imply that I intended not to leave only that if one did not leave... no exit fee need be paid.

My scenario is fluid. I'll come and go as I please and will ensure that my DL and passport is up-to-date. Not everyone is so rigid LOL

Here's a synopsis.... written to a fellow whose 70 yr old mother has decided to retire here -

Leaving Canada will result in her relinquishing her Cdn residency.
She will then have no official country of residence.... a potential problem.

Her Cdn driving license will expire.... she will have no license.
No license means she can't drive anywhere in the world.

I mentioned her health care earlier.... leaving Canada will negate that too.
She'll need coverage.

Some good news -
after exiting Canada, she will pay no tax....
If she doesn't bring her income here - meaning earn it here - she will be tax free.
A significant income boost for most people.

If she has sufficient retirement income, she can get residency faster.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The gist of it is everybody needs an official residence.
The ones who 'linger' here probably didn't give up their home country... keep residency there

I have had Cdn and US residency over the past several years..... I relinquished them

RD is my residency, my official primary residence

Reactions: CDNBear

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just have the impression that you often criticize without promoting a solution, change.

The glass is half empty instead of half full type perception

I might be totally wrong of course. This thread in Legal has gone totally of rails btw. ;)
Then you have not noticed what I posted many times before. I have said many times the DR needs to have consistent immigration laws that are enforced.

They should create a snowbird visa where a person is legal for the time of the visa including their drivers license. Now we have a situation
where a driver's license is valid for up to 90 days and we have an administrative work around that is not part of immigration law where people from tourist card countries can pay a fee to stay for up to 120 days. A snowbird visa backed by the law would be the way to go instead of this. I have stated this many times.

The issue is that there are so few snowbirds there is not the will to create a snowbird visa.

But my real question is what happens when people now stay for more than 120 days with the current work around going forward.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The issue is that there are so few snowbirds there is not the will to create a snowbird visa.

Careful Windy...... that 'so few' talks loudly.....

according to them they carry Sos/Cab oheir backs.
Singlehandedly, they keep the economy afloat....

Anybody who understands tourism here sees the flaw in that stance....

I agree - it would be soooo easy to sell a 6 mo visit
If, if, if the gov't was so inclined.......

But sadly, they have about 6,000,000 other visitors (in normal times) to care about

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Add to that his part-time gig playing with the band over the years, for which he was paid as well.
Indeed. Yet I was paid far more for gigs in the 1970s than the gigs here. Playing in bands in upstate NY helped pay for my college education back then.

In the DR I played music for fun, but I would not do it for free. The gigs I have played here have probably not even payed for the equipment I purchased to play those gigs. With the CV19, that situation may never come up again for me. Time will tell. No gigs at all since early 2020. Even DR musicians are trying to play on line concerts , which won't work out well.

One of the guys I have played with here lives here in the DR full time and never got residency - there might eventually be a risk to that but he takes no action to be legal. He is here far longer than 120 days at a time. But I guess he will be able to be an illegal alien forever and ever, and that is a very long time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Careful Windy...... that 'so few' talks loudly.....

according to them they carry Sos/Cab oheir backs.
Singlehandedly, they keep the economy afloat....

Anybody who understands tourism here sees the flaw in that stance....

I agree - it would be soooo easy to sell a 6 mo visit
If, if, if the gov't was so inclined.......

But sadly, they have about 6,000,000 other visitors (in normal times) to care about
It is allegedly the whoremongers alone that carry Sosua on their backs. )That is why Sosua disappeared to never return this year!) The snowbirds have not been acknowledged as providing much support. At least not yet. That said, the number of people that visit Sosua and Cabarete in total pales in numbers to the over 10 million missing AI tourists. AI tourism is the focus of the government.

The whoremongers are also referred to as weekend warriors and rarely overstay their tourist cards. After all, who gets more than a month of vacation in the US at a time? Only the snowbird whoremongers would be here for 120 days or more, and they are inconsequential in numbers.

• Angry
Reactions: johne

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
This must be a record regarding off topic post in the Legal forum. Hopefully the lawyers has spare time between their clients to read all this :LOL:

I am curious about a new service soon coming online at immigration, any who knows?? Wishful thinking snowbird visa:giggle:
Screenshot-20201018-074326.png

They are rebuilding the site, links to more information about the 120 days visa still broken

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This must be a record regarding off topic post in the Legal forum. Hopefully the lawyers has spare time between their clients to read all this :LOL:

I am curious about a new service soon coming online at immigration, any who knows?? Wishful thinking snowbird visa:giggle:
Screenshot-20201018-074326.png

They are rebuilding the site, links to more information about the 120 days visa still broken

Link to 120 overstay fee is working today:

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
2 billion in aid last week from USA I think the americans can stay as long as they want...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are several questions at the Migracion web site:

Carina Castaño

Hola, buen dia!

¿Qué sucede si surge una situación en la que el turista excede los 120 días permitidos? Por ejemplo, no se puede volver hasta que hayan pasado 150 días.

Gracias!
Me gusta · Responder · 2 d

Rojas Dilan

Y si la estadia pasa mas de 120 dias cuanto seria ?
Me gusta · Responder · 2 d

Быть здоровым

Si usted vive más de 120 días, que será un delito con la prohibición de la entrada posterior a la República Dominicana?

Status
Not open for further replies.