What happens to confiscated drugs?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
There is an interesting post in Dominican Today about what actually happens to the drugs and other things they confiscate when they do these raids. There must be quite a stash now with Operation Falcon having done over 100 raids.

Evidently, 15% goes to organisations working with drug addicts, 50% to the DNCD to allocate "according to their needs" (sounds interesting?) and 35% to education to prevent drug misuse.

And yes, we all know there will probably be some leakage and not all the money will find its way to where it should get to, but we're talking quite serious amounts of drugs and assets that are being seized now, and we can presume that even 15% of what hasn't been "lost" will translate into quite a large sum of money, several million dollars.

I am interested in others views on this, NOT on the money that is "lost", but on what actually reaches where it should go to.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I am so glad I only ever did alcohol and now it is three years since I quit that.

• Love
Reactions: Sailor51

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There is an interesting post in Dominican Today about what actually happens to the drugs and other things they confiscate when they do these raids. There must be quite a stash now with Operation Falcon having done over 100 raids.

Evidently, 15% goes to organisations working with drug addicts, 50% to the DNCD to allocate "according to their needs" (sounds interesting?) and 35% to education to prevent drug misuse.

And yes, we all know there will probably be some leakage and not all the money will find its way to where it should get to, but we're talking quite serious amounts of drugs and assets that are being seized now, and we can presume that even 15% of what hasn't been "lost" will translate into quite a large sum of money, several million dollars.

I am interested in others views on this, NOT on the money that is "lost", but on what actually reaches where it should go to.

Your title should read "What happens to money confiscated in drug raids?" if you're curious about where the money goes.

I've never seen any information on how it's used. Hopefully as the govt. becomes more transparent, more information will come forth.

When they confiscate "XX" millions dollars worth of drugs, there's no money of course, only drugs.

Once those are tested and confirmed, they are burned. If you follow the @DNCDRD Instagram page, they post videos each time they burn a huge batch of them.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Your title should read "What happens to money confiscated in drug raids?" if you're curious about where the money goes.

I've never seen any information on how it's used. Hopefully as the govt. becomes more transparent, more information will come forth.

When they confiscate "XX" millions dollars worth of drugs, there's no money of course, only drugs.

Once those are tested and confirmed, they are burned. If you follow the @DNCDRD Instagram page, they post videos each time they burn a huge batch of them.
Nice you pointed that out, I was mislead also. Figured, or rather wondered how much of that actually made it to the evidence locker. Give a new meaning to recycleing.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
GOOD FOR YOU aarhus, WONDERFUL. Same with me, only alcohol. Too, wish I could quit that as well.
I am afraid I had to have a bad experience to make me stop. Failing in business. On the other hand I have not struggled trying to stay away from it. I enjoy not drinking more now.

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am so glad I only ever did alcohol and now it is three years since I quit that.
As a 15 -17 year old I smoked a lot of weed, did a few other illegal drugs with my girlfriend ( she liked stoned sex) but quit all that when I was 18, and since then have limited myself to a weekly beer or a glass of wine. My wife doesn't drink, nobody in her family does. They have no particular reason they just don't care for it. I never saw the pleasure of either being drunk or having a hangover. It would interesting to know how much of that confiscated drug makes it back on the marketplace.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
As a 15 -17 year old I smoked a lot of weed, did a few other illegal drugs with my girlfriend ( she liked stoned sex) but quit all that when I was 18, and since then have limited myself to a weekly beer or a glass of wine. My wife doesn't drink, nobody in her family does. They have no particular reason they just don't care for it. I never saw the pleasure of either being drunk or having a hangover. It would interesting to know how much of that confiscated drug makes it back on the marketplace.
Ok I admit I have tried some drugs but during almost 20 years in the Caribbean none. So I say no drugs as it was over 20 years ago and I can count it on two hands whereas alcohol was like thousands of times lol

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Sorry. To get back on topic. I also suspect most of it goes back into the market place.

Reactions: Squat

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Yes, you are right. Can you change the title of the thread? Money and assets, because they confiscate things like cars and watches and I presume these are sold and something happens to the money from the sale.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As WC Fields used to say "Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink", but then again he died a painful death due to alcoholism... so you might be onto something.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I want to believe not very much makes it back to the streets. There are too many agencies and people overseeing the identification, handling, storing, and destroying it these days to think much of it, if any, is put back into circulation.

There are drugs busts almost every single day here. If you don't follow the local news sources and the websites/Instagram accounts of the police and the DNCD, you'd never hear about them.

As for money, since the money itself is split up among different agencies, you'd think each one of them keeps track of their potential share until it reaches them.

Now, once it hits their accounts, It's up to the agency heads to use it correctly.