What is happening at Juan Dolió??

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is some time since I drove along the main road of Juan Dolió but on the same side as Metro Country Club a huge housing development seems to be taking place. That seems strange as there is much land and there are partially built apartment blocks on the other side of the road closer to the beach. In Guayacanes there are many desirable old beach side homes for sale, I wonder if there is a problem with titles or with delinquency.
Is this rather sleepy town about to have a change??

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wasn't Metro Country Club sold at an auction not long ago?

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
That I can not tell you but there Managing Director/Chairman was arrested 4 or 5 years ago. Yesterday , as I drove past , I saw that the course was bone dry but being watered . There are always a large number of homes for sale there. The project that I was referring to is about one mile towards San Pedro from the golf course.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It is some time since I drove along the main road of Juan Dolió but on the same side as Metro Country Club a huge housing development seems to be taking place. That seems strange as there is much land and there are partially built apartment blocks on the other side of the road closer to the beach. In Guayacanes there are many desirable old beach side homes for sale, I wonder if there is a problem with titles or with delinquency.
Re: Juan Dolio
I believe you are talking about across from the turn to Popular bank. That large piece of property I think is beings developed as a club type community. The land was cleared during 2022 and they started in earnest about 6-8 months ago and planted the two lines of palm trees. I noticed a couple of weeks ago, at the very far end of that line of trees, there seems to be an security entrance being built. Its too far back for me to really see especially since since I make my left hand turn turn there while heading for SD.
Why there... if you were to drive about a block past the bank they are coming up to opening day on two large condo towers.That project was started during covid and is just about done. Not on the water, and I suppose limited visibility of the water since the new tower built by Hemingway blocks most of the view. I inquired about the availably of apps while it was being buyildt a year ago and I was told it was all sold out. That's not unusual as they were priced for someone that can't afford Hemingway and selling 300% lower than prices at Hemingway.
Re: Guayacanes. I usually buy my fish along the strip closest to the water. MANY of those houses have title issues. Last year when renovations started on the large parcel of public beach (that looks fantantasic) a good deal of "home owners got bad news. Those homes have charm...butI would think twice about living in that area.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Johne. Thank you for the information. Can you tell me also what has happened to the large apartment tower at the San Pedro end of Juan Dolió.. it seems to be at the same level of part construction for many months, although a crane is still there.ooks to be at least 15 floors of apartments.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Wasn't Metro Country Club sold at an auction not long ago?
We understand that: the Club is under embargo by Octavio Dotel who holds a second mortgage on the Golf Course. The first lien (US$7.441,666.50) is owned by a group of Lenders- these having succeeded in suing via in the USA Courts in New Jersey (loan documents were supposedly USA based) as well as having that USA Superior Court verdict upheld by the DR Supreme Court. We understand that the DR Supreme Court has received a request of appeal by Metro to the USA Verdict - under review. The Lenders (Not Dotel) are holders of other assets that they seek to consolidate including shares in operating companies related to the operation in Juan Dolio.

It seems the investor group seeks to withdraw from the DR as there are no further interests in their portfolio. Once matters settle, Metro CC can either rebuy the property and/or other potential associations exist.

Until then, titles are frozen as the first lien holders have rights to the collateral on the MCC property.
Metro Country Club most likely faces claims resulting from property owner matters.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Thank you for that information..I suppose the tower is part of the Metro Group .I wonder if they pre sold the apartments and what legal action is going on. Also are you saying that none of the home owners within the Metro Golf Club walls have a clean title . If so , that is a worrying situation for home owners in the various gated communities in the East who may be faced with the same situation.

Reactions: NanSanPedro
In Juan Dolio there is not much
delinquency.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Thank you for that information..I suppose the tower is part of the Metro Group .I wonder if they pre sold the apartments and what legal action is going on. Also are you saying that none of the home owners within the Metro Golf Club walls have a clean title . If so , that is a worrying situation for home owners in the various gated communities in the East who may be faced with the same situation.
A good number of the resident owners have clear title, having "deslindado" their properties prior to Metro having pledged the MCC parcel, Club house etc along with Operadora de Golf shares (operational vehicle for services and fees etc..) as collateral for the foreign investors capital. Those who had not surveyed their properties can not have clear and clean title until such time as Metro CC repays the debt and/or is foreclosed on in repayment of the debt. At that point, the homeowners will have to sue Metro Country Club, SA and its Directors for having pledged lots which the residents may have paid in full but had no title on. The investor group is moving forward as already explained.

Reactions: Kipling333

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
About 7-8 months ago my caddy (at the time) asked if I wanted to see some new construction being built at metro. Sure, bc I never went to that part of "metro". Very small houses, very close together. Everything offered was "forward thinking-language". ie "this will be the club house, the social area, the secure entrance the bla bla bla. Looked to me like they were building one house and a time with a very limited crew of about 5 guys. The crew looked like they were rehearsed in the event visitors would come by. I have employed people for most of my adult life and I know the look. They look at me more than their work! As I recall the houses were priced at 195-200 USD.
I haven't played golf at Metro for the past month but I am going out tomorrow. I past the grounds just about every other day and the grounds look very uninviting. Browned out. Last month they raised their prices again. Second time in one year.

Reactions: JD Jones

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
The project next door to MCC is a project that is apparently owned by Jamaican businessman M.Lee Chin, whose past includes investing with Metro Group in the Las Olas project in Juan Dolio as well as the Cost Blanca project. The property is accessed through the MCC entrance. A tour of the area shows the project in decline, little in terms of construction, sub-par housing and a general lack of 'energy" to speak of. Titles have been a problem with the Las Olas project - and now frozen at MCC until the debt situation is cleared. Does not bode well for buyers or investors given the problems presented at the other projects.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
On what side of MCC .that closest to San Pedro ?? If so there is yet another development just further on between the autopista and the main Juan Dolio road that is progressing with a lot of very cheap looking housing.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
On what side of MCC .that closest to San Pedro ?? If so there is yet another development just further on between the autopista and the main Juan Dolio road that is progressing with a lot of very cheap looking housing.
The project is on the eastern end of Metro Country Club- the development was originally planned as Las Quintas de Metro, the 5th phase. The project ran into significant problems when originally planned and financing that Metro claimed had been obtained in fact was found to not be the case. Metro then convinced M.Lee Chin to invest there...

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
A good number of the resident owners have clear title, having "deslindado" their properties prior to Metro having pledged the MCC parcel, Club house etc along with Operadora de Golf shares (operational vehicle for services and fees etc..) as collateral for the foreign investors capital. Those who had not surveyed their properties can not have clear and clean title until such time as Metro CC repays the debt and/or is foreclosed on in repayment of the debt. At that point, the homeowners will have to sue Metro Country Club, SA and its Directors for having pledged lots which the residents may have paid in full but had no title on. The investor group is moving forward as already explained.
Further developments> The investor group has now taken direct ownership of the shares Metro Country Club held in the operating company Operadora de Golf, S.A. The new shareholders now posses 29,900 shares of paid in capital- the previous President holds 100 shares. Attached is the Registro Publico that certifies the registration of the shares now in the names of the new majority shareholders.

Attachments

• CERTIFICADOREGISTROMERCANTIL.pdf
    168.4 KB · Views: 152