What is the actual location for the new Ritz Carlton Cabarete?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ok, sounds like you agree with me a little. Those gentleman did spend a considerable amount in the Cab area and dined at the nicer restaurants. They did not support the whole Cab economy certainly like a Sosua but their business will be missed. During his larger events the the 'action" spilled out into the street. As far as nice places to stay near Elvis's, just to the east are some of the nicest places to stay in Cab., and like all places in Cab and Sosua they are chica friendly.

The DR government will not miss their business at all. That much is clear. Perhaps some establishments in Cabarete miss them as diners or renters. They were such a small part of the tourism business in Cabarete, they were far less significant than in Sosua, where I understand such business still flourishes in a different location. I have a place in Cabarete where people stay. It is not and never has been chica friendly.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
ok, sounds like you agree with me a little. Those gentleman did spend a considerable amount in the Cab area and dined at the nicer restaurants. They did not support the whole Cab economy certainly like a Sosua but their business will be missed. During his larger events the the 'action" spilled out into the street. As far as nice places to stay near Elvis's, just to the east are some of the nicest places to stay in Cab., and like all places in Cab and Sosua they are chica friendly.

His business in Sosua was much bigger than when he was in Cabarete.

I live east of Cabarete - have for 13 years. Other than Magnifico which I've heard is fairly nice, I really can't think of one decent hotel(?). There are quite a few nice condos though and I'm sure many rented in those.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The DR government will not miss their business at all. That much is clear. Perhaps some establishments in Cabarete miss them as diners or renters. They were such a small part of the tourism business in Cabarete, they were far less significant than in Sosua, where I understand such business still flourishes in a different location. I have a place in Cabarete where people stay. It is not and never has been chica friendly.

you show me a place in Cab or Sosua that rents rooms and I will show you a chica friendly joint. Pesos talk and b.s goes to low end cabanas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
you show me a place in Cab or Sosua that rents rooms and I will show you a chica friendly joint. Pesos talk and b.s goes to low end cabanas

No amount of pesos will make our rentals chica friendly, no matter how much you insist.

Last edited:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
From what I can see Ritz Carlton Reserve rooms can be sold at condos. Or rented out per night.

Here is one in Puerto Rico for sale for $6.5 Million US.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...PR_00646_M98251-75403?ex=PR2869277436&view=qv

Here is one you can rent per night for $1,300 US in Cabo, Mexico:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/mx/za...=0&req_adults=2&hp_refreshed_with_new_dates=1

So, you can own or use them as a hotel. Time will tell how sales versus rentals go in Cabarete.

The booking.com one could actually be a Ritz owned listing itself. Those are definitely professional photos. Booking.com started out as a listing site specifically for hotels with multiple units. Then they modified a little to bring in some single resident hosts to compete with homeaway/airbnb.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
His business in Sosua was much bigger than when he was in Cabarete.

I live east of Cabarete - have for 13 years. Other than Magnifico which I've heard is fairly nice, I really can't think of one decent hotel(?). There are quite a few nice condos though and I'm sure many rented in those.

Airbnb has taken over the "hotel" industry. Things are much different now than they were in even 10 years ago in that industry.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Airbnb and Vrbo and Homeaway have taken a big dent out of the hotel industry no doubt.

I think the Ritz afficianado doesn't scour the airbnb pages looking for free wifi and a $110 nightly so the Ritz price points are still highly insulated.

No doubt. The three new DR north coast Marriott properties are for the 1%'ers, or those that fancy themselves as such.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Love to see a site plan of the units that maybe built.

According to the plan the project is huge and will transform the site completely from what it is today.

1 Hotel with 105 rooms at the river mouth
2,8 luxury villas
3 a polo field !
4 new roads
5 bridge

This is the first details I have seen about the project, from the source in the link below
And they are very negative to the project because of the environmental consequences

https://somospueblo.com/planean-construir-hotel-ritz-carlton-reserve-en-humedal-y-manglares-de-boca-de-yasica-cabarete/

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
According to the plan the project is huge and will transform the site completely from what it is today.

1 Hotel with 105 rooms at the river mouth
2,8 luxury villas
3 a polo field !
4 new roads
5 bridge

This is the first details I have seen about the project, from the source in the link below
And they are very negative to the project because of the environmental consequences

https://somospueblo.com/planean-construir-hotel-ritz-carlton-reserve-en-humedal-y-manglares-de-boca-de-yasica-cabarete/

Interesting. An area set aside for "public domain", inside their property lines, that they will probably be responsible for and maintain. They probably cut a deal allowing them to make a portion of their beach "private" for their guests. A win-win.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Interesting. An area set aside for "public domain", inside their property lines, that they will probably be responsible for and maintain. They probably cut a deal allowing them to make a portion of their beach "private" for their guests. A win-win.

Maybe and maybe not. From the article quoted I read that they want to build houses or a hotel on what is considered public domain today.

Number 7 in the photo

The only land in front of the beach (more than 30,000 m2) does not belong to investors but it is floodplain that is in the public domain. In that area, the Ritz Carlton Reserve hotel with 105 rooms appears. They previously tried to make a sanitation but was rejected by the land court of Puerto Plata with judgment 0269-18-00807 of April 27, 2018. Now it is heard that they are trying to make a demarcation of those lands without having any occupation and without have titles because they are unregistered land.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anything is possible, perhaps environmentalists can go to court and override the approval of the Ritz Carlton Reserve project at La Boca that was given by Danilo Medina, which they seem to fail to mention. But I think not.

Recall I mentioned that a few years ago, a group of investors flew into the DR to talk about developing the north coast? They spoke to very influential people in the DR and the picture below shows some of those people. The article mentions who some of those investors were. Many did not believe this would amount to anything.

https://somospueblo.com/planean-con...medal-y-manglares-de-boca-de-yasica-cabarete/

On a related but more Sosua based topic: Is there anyone who still thinks what happened on Pedro Clisante was the Mayor's fault? Is there anyone out there who thinks Willie as the next mayor could "change it back"?

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Anything is possible, perhaps environmentalists can go to court and override the approval of the Ritz Carlton Reserve project at La Boca that was given by Danilo Medina, which they seem to fail to mention. But I think not.

It is mentioned. When looking at what happened at Encuentro, Lifestyle Cabarete, Laguna Cabarete etc.

Money talks

The height of all this is that now a presidential decree 337-19 appears (there are 5 decrees in total for the 3 projects) for the use of the 60 meters of the maritime strip and the 30 meters of the Yasica river. That decree seems dictated by the promoters themselves without any control from the presidency. Several numbers of plots are indicated but the only plot in the name of Connemara Srl (Ritz Carlton Reserve) is 48B and has no oceanfront. That means they cannot use the 60 meters of the maritime strip because they are not the rightful owners of the land by the sea.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is mentioned. When looking at what happened at Encuentro, Lifestyle Cabarete, Laguna Cabarete etc.

Money talks

The height of all this is that now a presidential decree 337-19 appears (there are 5 decrees in total for the 3 projects) for the use of the 60 meters of the maritime strip and the 30 meters of the Yasica river. That decree seems dictated by the promoters themselves without any control from the presidency. Several numbers of plots are indicated but the only plot in the name of Connemara Srl (Ritz Carlton Reserve) is 48B and has no oceanfront. That means they cannot use the 60 meters of the maritime strip because they are not the rightful owners of the land by the sea.

Could be identical in "function" as to what happened at Encuentro.

Money does talk. At least I had more than several days at both Wilson's old and new locations there.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The new access road for the Ritz Carlton is just before you get to the cabana Costa Mar. Drove by there today and was going to drive in and take a look, but they've now put up a small fence at the entrance.