What Is The Average Monthly Income In DR in RD$?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I still can't believe the stats, who are these Dominicans going to the Malls, The parking lots are always filled. I'm talking about the "Agoras malls" and the "Plaza Llamas". The difference is the type of cars you find in the garages. LOL.

I don't care if they are there just window shopping and eating in the food cart, you can't do that on 6-8k pesos a month.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
A narco warlord cum general cum politician in the family perhaps.........

And of course plazas and supermarkets and restaurants and such are kind of magnets for rich people.........

In geneva if u look at the guys in the restaurants, watch boutiques, deseigner shops......... u would deduct that the average citizen is a billionaire...... which is not the case.......

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
A narco warlord cum general cum politician in the family perhaps.........

And of course plazas and supermarkets and restaurants and such are kind of magnets for rich people.........

In geneva if u look at the guys in the restaurants, watch boutiques, deseigner shops......... u would deduct that the average citizen is a billionaire...... which is not the case.......

So if 10% make 10,000$ USD a month and 90% make 250-300$ USD what's the average DR income? The math isn't too complicated but I'm lazy.

StephenChen

Jul 18, 2014
Contango, Thanks, Finally Someone Who Understands.... Great Minds Think Alike

you need to make your moolah outside of the Country, but the trick to tranquility is doing that while in the DR.. if you can net 25k a month in USD you will be living the good life..

having said that if you are under 30 and want to live the "Beach Life" with all the other have nots, I get that.. 30 and under we all at one time didn't give a shizzle about money, it was more about the Beach Life and college girls, and parties, and more parties.. eventually we get older and for some reason life becomes more serious..

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Contango, Thanks, Finally Someone Who Understands.... Great Minds Think Alike

Hurry on down................
When I see you with cup in hand...............
I promise I'll give you a few pesos..........
Make sure you have your name on your shirt...........

B in Santiago

malko

Jan 12, 2013
So if 10% make 10,000$ USD a month and 90% make 250-300$ USD what's the average DR income? The math isn't too complicated but I'm lazy.

It is better to talk about a median salary ( half the poulation earns more, the other half less ).
Otherwise one single guy making a million a month will prop up the averge salary and it wont reflect the real lifestyle of the common dominican.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can live on 22k pesos a month or even less than that. the question is: why would you? being young and dumb is not an explanation. and i say it without offence or bitterness, i was young and dumb too ;) and i moved to different country with very little money. but i had best friend with me and family back home who could always bail me out if needed. bear in mind that you will be alone in DR and that makes life a bit more difficult. if you must come here and live on 500 bucks a month you better have a 1000 dollars put away to make quick exit if needed.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Mmmmmhhh, now u got me confused.
Trying to rack my brain to remember the formula from high school.... to no avail....

Since I have lost my thinking cap a long, long time ago, let me go and get myself a rum and homemade cinola juice....... might help..... or not......

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
That's the way I've always looked at the idea of the median. There must be one guy as you say making a million a year and someone making nothing so the median would have to be half a million. Right or did I miss something?

yes. if the second guy is making nothing, I don't think he would be included in the survey! He would have to make a peso or more.

other than that, you got it.

you can do anything with statistics, and as you know, 98% of statistics are exaggerated.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Well, from my experience and dominicans I know personally, this Chen guy could make it on 22,000 RD a month. That is not going out to clubs, taking carro publico, no cigarettes, no strippers, no american fast food and he can find a cheap small room if in the city for 4000 a month. Doable? absolutely, but not to "American" standard of living.... specially in the city. In the campo, very doable indeed.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
And having said that, I have always wondered where they find money, to dress how they dress, go out, drink whiskey, drive a better car than mine..... (I recently bought an old pick up truck,dominican friends I know would never get in it)...go out to punta cana, concerts,..... it baffles me, and I'm not talking about doctors, or lawyers.... my lawyer ( a half ass one) has horses, and 2 Queridas!!!... oh and he drives a Toyota Prado...

Sep 4, 2012
I know of one American guy who's living on half that amount ie $11,000 per month. He pays for a room with a fan $3500 per month in Monte Cristi. He doesn't smoke and he only eats fruit that he scavenges for. He supplements his diet with packets of cheese macaroni. He does drink rum within this budget.

He cannot go home and he's opted to die here.
Is that CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC?

singer1000001

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
What Is The Average Monthly Income In DR in RD$?

as far as I'm concerned most jobs in DR do not pay RD$430 an hour, yet for some reason I keep hearing people
complaining about the cost of living and how money is not enough.

Please someone tell me, is RD$22000 monthly income enough for a single man to support him self on a extended vacation?

listen mate, Aussie Rob here. Stop the applause.
Okay mate the cheapest i was able to vacation here included the following per day. Cheap a$$ed hotel $15-$30 a night and i use the term loosely.
food- eat Dominican ($4us approx per meal.... you are not eating well!!!) Do you like rice and beans, better get in some practice mate... you're gonna need it . if you want to eat well on that budget EAT FRUIT + water an lots of it. Stay away from restaurants
laying on the beach doing sweet F^%k all ...... priceless. Unless you want a deck chair then you gotta pay $200rd
as i spend time around the island my base budget seems to be between $40-$60 a day for food accom, a few drinks
$22000rd is about $510.00us a mth roughly divided by 30 days= $17 a day
Mate i dunno if your gonna make it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Again so many here and outside lost in the facts of the DR...

The "reported" wages on workers are just that "reported". The actual wages paid are more than double or triple of that reported.

For most DR employers is costly to report the full salary of their employees. It cost money out of their pockets to do so and then there's net earnings sharing at the end of the fiscal year when the reports on payroll are too high in their bracket.

The average wage (real accounting for cash paid as bonuses aside from actual reported wages) in the DR is 17,000 to 20,000.

Median wages are 24,500. High would be around 50,000 and up. (2014 figures).

Keep in mind those are individual wages. Household income is much higher for the average HH in the DR.

Informal wages are far higher than the formal "reporting" sector, but many employees learned that they get no labor security when working outside the formal sector. Hence why they are so open to getting paid formal and by the bonus as well in most cases.

StephenChen

Jul 18, 2014
I have the option of returning, I have the airline ticket money set aside and a home to come back too along with family sending me $200 weekly

singer1000001

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Aussie Rob here. Stop the applause everyone sit down and relax for a minute.
The Dominicans i know are very pleased to tell you they earn 20000rd a month..... they feel fortunate. A shoe store manager i know earns that and he was id say . But mate dont forget they might already be living in accommodation and with their family. They live basic lives, they dance on the wek ends... buy a brugal rum between 5 people and 2 bottles of coke. Thats their night out. Mate, ask yourself can you live on the bones of your a$$ cause thats what youll be doing

May 29, 2006
I've done several vacations on the cheap and it's no fun at all. You end up thinking about your budget all the time instead of enjoying yourself. And forget about any romance if you want be a Taca?o Tourist in a T-shirt and Tevas.. Been there, done that.

Vacation on the cheap and your lunch is Pan de Ayer with a medio libre of Sosua Salami and sitting in your room alone sucking down a couple Presidentes or Ron and Coke if you're really going tight.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Again so many here and outside lost in the facts of the DR...

The "reported" wages on workers are just that "reported". The actual wages paid are more than double or triple of that reported.

For most DR employers is costly to report the full salary of their employees. It cost money out of their pockets to do so and then there's net earnings sharing at the end of the fiscal year when the reports on payroll are too high in their bracket.

The average wage (real accounting for cash paid as bonuses aside from actual reported wages) in the DR is 17,000 to 20,000.

Median wages are 24,500. High would be around 50,000 and up. (2014 figures).

Keep in mind those are individual wages. Household income is much higher for the average HH in the DR.

Informal wages are far higher than the formal "reporting" sector, but many employees learned that they get no labor security when working outside the formal sector. Hence why they are so open to getting paid formal and by the bonus as well in most cases.

Total slick political speak and also 99% BS. This is the what the top 1%ers who run this country and have turned it into an economic disaster for 90% plus of its citizens want you to believe. When I said before I thought the average wage was 8-10 k per month I was including only those lucky enough to have a job. I have met so many intelligent Dominicans in their 20s who cant find work or are seriously underemployed. Thank God I was lucky enough to be born in another country and had a good income for 30 years...I wouldnt have made it here.