What Is The Average Monthly Income In DR in RD$?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Total slick political speak and also 99% BS. This is the what the top 1%ers who run this country and have turned it into an economic disaster for 90% plus of its citizens want you to believe. When I said before I thought the average wage was 8-10 k per month I was including only those lucky enough to have a job. I have met so many intelligent Dominicans in their 20s who cant find work or are seriously underemployed. Thank God I was lucky enough to be born in another country and had a good income for 30 years...I wouldnt have made it here.

Good post...........
you are 100% correct............
Pichardo's agenda is to make everything sound rosy...........

B in Santiago

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Come on, people. Many Dominicans do make only 6-10,000 pesos a month. But many make much much more bringing the average up.

Drive through santo domingo, santiago, and elsewhere. Do you think all the late-model cars causing traffic jams are owned by people making 8-30,000 a month? All the nice apartments and homes. All the nice restaurants? Who shops in the malls? Who lines up to see movies and fills theaters? Who owns the businesses? What locals fill the all-inclusives on weekends? Who fills up the nice gyms? What Dominicans fill up planes?

For those of you that say you only know Dominicans that make 10,000 or less a month... That says more about who you associate with than the "average monthly income" of the country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pichi is correct, most likely. there are many who earn really high salaries, bringing the average up. however, i disagree with the notion that informal sector pays more than formal. when it comes to the lowest end jobs? yes. but informal sector does not include anyone with higher salaries (apart from thieves, narcos and hos).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Many businesses " cheat" the government. If you pay a higher salary then you have to pay more Social Security pension....etc.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
It is better to talk about a median salary ( half the poulation earns more, the other half less ).
Otherwise one single guy making a million a month will prop up the averge salary and it wont reflect the real lifestyle of the common dominican.

1 single guy will not change the average significantly. The mean and median will roughly be the same with a sample size of an entire nation's population; the figure that will be most telling is the MODE, or most-reported figure.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
yes. if the second guy is making nothing, I don't think he would be included in the survey! He would have to make a peso or more.

The person making 1 peso/year has the exact same impact on the calculation as someone reporting 0 pesos/year, if the guy making 1mm/year is in the mix. The variance on the reported figures isn't large enough, and the results are rounded up anyway.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Come on, people. Many Dominicans do make only 6-10,000 pesos a month. But many make much much more bringing the average up.

Drive through santo domingo, santiago, and elsewhere. Do you think all the late-model cars causing traffic jams are owned by people making 8-30,000 a month? All the nice apartments and homes. All the nice restaurants? Who shops in the malls? Who lines up to see movies and fills theaters? Who owns the businesses? What locals fill the all-inclusives on weekends? Who fills up the nice gyms? What Dominicans fill up planes?

For those of you that say you only know Dominicans that make 10,000 or less a month... That says more about who you associate with than the "average monthly income" of the country.

I am a gringo capitalist pig here solely for hedonistic purposes but I have empathy for and hang with the peeps and 90%+ aint makin it economically here. You see a lot of big cars, big houses and packed malls and have bought the illusion of a solid economic class. This is at best 10% of the population here. With a population of 10 million here of course 10% can easily fill the roads and malls.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

And more to the point, "who you know" isn't a valid statistical sample of the population, unless you know people from *every* city and town here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You see a lot of big cars, big houses and packed malls and have bought the illusion of a solid economic class. This is at best 10% of the population here. With a population of 10 million here of course 10% can easily fill the roads and malls.

the thing is that this 10% makes lots of money and it affects the average general salary.

Sep 4, 2012
F

The average wage (real accounting for cash paid as bonuses aside from actual reported wages) in the DR is 17,000 to 20,000.

Median wages are 24,500. High would be around 50,000 and up. (2014 figures).

Keep in mind those are individual wages. Household income is much higher for the average HH in the DR.

Source of these numbers then we might engage in a conversation - thanks

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
the thing is that this 10% makes lots of money and it affects the average general salary.
That is the case when the distribution of incomes is not a statistically normal distribution the mean is less descriptive of the distribution's central tendency. Median can be better for non-normal distributions. Best would be the distribution of a sample as an estimate of the population. Anyone found one of those?

Statistically speaking the mean and the median completely describes a normal distribution but not many other distributions. I anticipate that the DR distribution is bi-modal. Sure would like to see that image.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
My compadre is 26 years old (2 younger than I) , graduated from university here with a degree in electrical engineering.. He has been working for Claro for 2 years and his average monthly salary for 2013 was 37,400 RD$ monthly. This includes overtime and any bonuses he received.. Pretty damn good for a recent grad considering he has no political/business connections to speak of. Obviously it isn't on par with what he would be earning in the US.. but the lower cost for a higher quality of life makes it seem decent. By the way, a lot of my friends in Florida have been living off 200$ a week unemployment for the last few years.. The job market is hard everywhere and in my honest opinion the DR seems to have a positive economic outlook. I know of VERY few people here who would even wake up to make 6-8k pesos a month.. Even the guys who lay block on my construction site make 900 pesos a day.. if they work 6 days a week you're talking 20k + monthly for someone who has absolutely no education.. In the US that same guy would be working at labor force for minimum wage and might only get work once a week if lucky.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Ok i ran the govt numbers straight from the horse's ass and yes your $6,000 per year, $500 per month is correct. You have 10% of population averaging 200,000 pesos a month and the other 90% averaging 6,000 pesos. That comes to your average politically solid wage of 25,400 mensual.. Got it. Oops i forgot about the 25%? unemployed.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
One must also take into account all the Dominicans that receive money monthly from overseas. It's not wages but it certainly affects the local economy.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
http://economia.gob.do/mepyd/wp-con.../crecimiento-equidad-republica-dominicana.pdf

the World Bank report considers 40% of the population to be living in poverty.. extreme poverty .under US $4.7 a day or vulnerablitiy. They judge the middle class to earn between $9 and $25 a day,

The report says that there is very little mobility here between classes.. except downward, compared to other countries in the region.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I agree, with only $200 per week and not speaking Spanish the chap will be confined to cockroach Motels eating bread and 1/2 lb. of Salami for supper. How will he afford the chicos and their Salami? Not to mention buying the Presidentes at the Disco and Admission to Ocean World. The $200 will be gone in room and board with nothing left for libation.

I've done several vacations on the cheap and it's no fun at all. You end up thinking about your budget all the time instead of enjoying yourself. And forget about any romance if you want be a Taca?o Tourist in a T-shirt and Tevas.. Been there, done that.

Vacation on the cheap and your lunch is Pan de Ayer with a medio libre of Sosua Salami and sitting in your room alone sucking down a couple Presidentes or Ron and Coke if you're really going tight.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I disagree. The overwhelming majority of Dominicans do in fact make 6-10,000 RD monthly. In a town such as Puerto Plata every person who serves you or checks you in or fills your tank falls in that range.
My children have about 80 Aunts/Uncles (campo folks are busy aren't they) and not one owns a vehicle (burros and horses excluded). Only two make more than 10,000 RD monthly and that is because of Sanky money. The older Tios mostly work at Dominoes and Brugal. All of the women work that can, and their wages are mostly 8-9,000 mensual. As the younger generation gets more education we can hope that changes but we'll see. A friend with an accounting degree earns 14,000 RD/month but that is still not a living wage.
All those SUV's you mention are owned by Gov't or Police or Drug Dealers or Western Union Gold Card holders or the 1% that do make real money.