What is with dom-yorks and trying to be extra-dominican?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I'd say, bring back old school Salsa and Merengue!!!!!!!!

Old school HIP HOP was not bad.

Old school salsa is alive and well-Fania has done a tremendous job of re-issuing this music and it is selling very well. I already have 50 Fania albums and counting.

This is how I became a fan of Pacheco, and when I began researching the history lo and behold I found out he is dominican and from Santiago.

And he wasn't just an artist-he was co-founder of the Fania label. Like I stated previously, he is a towering figure in his field.

Bronxboyatheart-you certainly are correct about old school hip-hop, but that was a different era and a totally different vibe.

gemenilaidback

Oct 22, 2003
I just watched El Catante (which also garnered no respest) again which I Love great movie (and soundtrack) but according to my parents these guys (Johnny Pacheo,Willie colon, fania artists Hector (Lopez) Lavoe who came from a good family) were classy but considered street guys to mainstream America (despite how they were marketed) because of well...bias. Especially Willie Colon talking about the conditions of NYC the same thing some hip hop artists speak about today and what old school artist (like the song the EDGE) was talking about. some hip hop is just negative nonsense but its from the latter generation that doesnt know what it was about and they just want to get paid they don't even respect what it stood for or who came before them. I agree with Berzin but I also agree with others on this post and some parents just aren't doing their jobs..this is why everyday I have to watch thugs come in my store trying to "boost" cause they think I am slow because I am well dressed and going to the University. I mentored 3 kids recently and one is going to college the other the marines then college and the last...well he isnt even finishing highschool. The first two are Dominican..the last is Boricua. Things are so bad I said well I am am going to try to help at least I influenced two youth. I found another yesterday....this kid went through foster care. By the way none of these kids wear theri pants below theri waste yet all listen to hip hop...but this week I have seen some...that look like they are banned rom buying a belt. Every one have a nice day.

gemenilaidback

Oct 22, 2003
there is a new show called From gangsta's to gentlemen on MTV there are two Dominicans and two Puerto Ricans on the show..there is also every other ethnic group including asian, Itallian and black...I think the gentlemen Farnswoth Bentley might teach them some manners. Alot of people need this show.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I saw the quintessential DomYork yestaerday in Jarabacoa, hanging in a small bar downtown.

Mid-30's, about 35lbs overweight, had baggy, mid-calf shorts with designer labels all over, an oversized Yankee T-shirt to just above the knees, massive Nike (?) clown sneakers, untied, with the tongue hanging out, had bling on his fingers (the pinky fingernail on his right hand was at least 3/4" long), arm, neck and ears (nobody wears 6 carats in the ears and fingers, and the 6+ chains weren't gold, nor was the 2" "gold" razor blade hanging on one, but his name might have been Johanny, but I doubt those were diamonds on it), a watch the size of an aircraft carrier flight deck, had a bizzare Yankee hat with the rhinestone logo puffed out like on steroids (worn cocked to one side), sparse facial hair done in a 1/2" wide goatee, was drinking JW Black out of a plastic cup, with what I assume was his Montero, with the logo of a local rental company, blaring music trhough the open door. He was holding court, talking trash with 3 adoring barrio girls, all drinking MGD.

:cheeky::bunny:

Even Alida cracked a grin. "Payaso", she cracked...

I need to remember to take my camera with me.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I thought I was speaking Chinese.

Doesnt suprise me though,Dominicans never wanna hear criticism epsecially when it comes to issues like these.

I am going to have to agree with what MR LU and some of what Skippy said.

But i will also add that in my opinion a majority of these guys are trying to project an image of who they are how they were raised and where they come from. And the bad thing is that some of them will never change their ways because society gives them the impression to like it whether they are truthful or hypocritical about it. These guys don't know the difference.

It's like when you go to Hawaii and try to dance to hula hula even though you have always hate it.

They may think that acting like thugs may give them an edge when it comes to women
which if that is the case I might have to agree with them on that one. Some women like those bad boys, they are not looking for the good boys. They think that well behaved guys don't know how to show them a good time.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I saw the quintessential DomYork yestaerday in Jarabacoa, hanging in a small bar downtown.

Mid-30's, about 35lbs overweight, had baggy, mid-calf shorts with designer labels all over, an oversized Yankee T-shirt to just above the knees, massive Nike (?) clown sneakers, untied, with the tongue hanging out, had bling on his fingers (the pinky fingernail on his right hand was at least 3/4" long), arm, neck and ears (nobody wears 6 carats in the ears and fingers, and the 6+ chains weren't gold, nor was the 2" "gold" razor blade hanging on one, but his name might have been Johanny, but I doubt those were diamonds on it), a watch the size of an aircraft carrier flight deck, had a bizzare Yankee hat with the rhinestone logo puffed out like on steroids (worn cocked to one side), sparse facial hair done in a 1/2" wide goatee, was drinking JW Black out of a plastic cup, with what I assume was his Montero, with the logo of a local rental company, blaring music trhough the open door. He was holding court, talking trash with 3 adoring barrio girls, all drinking MGD.

:cheeky::bunny:

Even Alida cracked a grin. "Payaso", she cracked...

I need to remember to take my camera with me.

You've just outdid AZB!!!!!......hope its a one shot deal buddy.;)

gemenilaidback

Oct 22, 2003
The guy you spoke of in jarabacoa...every one on this show (white, black, Itallian, Dominican,Mexican,Puerto Rican) was wearing this type of style. the show hopes to change their style of dress, eating, introduce them to fine wine and food, teach them manners, diction, and how to talk and conversate with real women. The prize is to be a gentlemen and 100 thousand dollars. It should be interesting. I do know one thing they need alot more of these schools. I have never seen a group of more degenerates at one time. Most did not have fathers..most never left their neighborhood, and one spent $5000 USD on a Mercedes and lived in it cause he was homeless. This problem could be becoming an epidemic. Most of them could not complete a complete sentence without profanity.

The host of the show (Farnsworth Bentely) said many of these guys just don't know how to talk or get anything done without being intimidating and that is what a "G" is. They had 14 examples from con artist tough guys to "tigures". At least some of them will learn something before they get kicked off the show and someone watching this might say....they cant live like this the rest of their life.

gemenilaidback

Oct 22, 2003
I believe some of these kids on this show can make it and some of these guys in the streets can make it. some of them just need a shot and everyone deserve
(almost everyone) a second chance if they want to change bad enough.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I believe some of these kids on this show can make it and some of these guys in the streets can make it. some of them just need a shot and everyone deserve
(almost everyone) a second chance if they want to change bad enough.

They're not going to change because that is their culture. Hip-Hop culture teaches them to be rude and intimidating and their mannerisms, style of dress and code of conduct reflect this.

They are not educated because they don't want to be educated. They think spending time in jail is more useful to them than trying to get though school.

And their parents facilitate this. It is not society's job to retrain these types if their parents failed them.

At some point in time people have to accept the consequences of their actions. You live that hip-hop lifestyle and embrace the culture then it is you who has to accept what comes with it when your kids turn out to be the useless dregs of society.

But here in America it is almost a national pastime that people always blame someone else for their problems. It's never them.

I believe in giving second chances to the victims of this lifestyle, not the perpetrators.

gemenilaidback

Oct 22, 2003
LOL You have some very strong opinions about this. I believe everyone deserves a second chance...the enviroment in tough neighborhoods teach people to be rude (hard)..and tough not hip hop culture, the parents do facilitate this as well as most people in society, its all over.

When you are in the DR everyone speaks and is truly polite and nice...in the states you can go to a nice neighborhood and those days are gone. Until society invests more in education than in prisons it doesn't matter what the perpetrators want to do the system will have more failures than winners. The parents do facilitate this and have given up you are right. I think it is the perpetrators fault for their choices and societies fault over all because no one takes responsibility for stopping it. It also isn't just hip hop but in movies, political culture, entertainment culture, movies, rock, The biggest problem is the state blames the individual perpetrators and the people blame the state...but either way the problem is never fixed and spiraling ou of control....until we get a police/prison state.
I was watching a documentary where in Brazil when things happen such as the hijacking of a pedestrian bus...society changed so these individuals cant multiply. The American system is put them all in prison...now this is backfiring because no one is being educated to produce anything (engineers,scientists,etc. The blame game is fun and I agree with you but even if they can be blamed for it all.. after the blame where do we say here is the problem lets work on the solution?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was watching a documentary where in Brazil when things happen such as the hijacking of a pedestrian bus...society changed so these individuals cant multiply.

Which documentary was this? "Bus 174"? Society HAS NOT changed in Brazil-it is more polarized than ever.

The very conditions that produced the hijacker of that bus are alive, well and thriving.

Small grass-roots community groups are trying to change this, but they are fighting a losing battle.

Watch the documentary "Manda Bala!" and you will see what I mean.

And I've said this time and again-if you refuse to accept the negative impact hip-hop has on inner city youth, then you cannot call it a culture.

If it is a culture, what are its' values? Aren't those values reflected in the music, style of dress and code of conduct of those who claim it as their culture?

Apparently hip-hop exists in a vacuum when it comes to shouldering responsibility for the negativity, glorification of thug life, misogyny and irresponsibility that exists at its' core.

Last edited:

gemenilaidback

Oct 22, 2003
Damn your good, Berzin it was Bus 174 and I will check out the other documentary. At least some grass roots organizations and some governmental elements as seen in the documentary are trying to take action. On current there are a bunch of organizations that are try9ing to promote change like Homeboys...for reformed gang members in east LA. I cant fault them for trying.

I disagree that these so called values are at hip hops core, there are many values of hip hop that are positive
(creative expression through art,grafiti, dance, spoken word, turntables/djing)...not raps core (also people who like rap and listen to it were not the ones representing the values but the ones at the forefront of the media) that are positive as for some rap yeah it has a alot of negative influence I have never denied that.
Regardless my point is where do we go from here and the thing I like about the show ("from G's to gents") is at least they are trying something. Who knows maybe one day schools for etiquette will be popping up everywhere. whether Brazil is doing something or not like they were showing in that documentary I was trying to use an example to changing going about negative aspects to society.

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
Hola
I just wanted to add a different take to this..this behaviour seems only to be observed when Dominicans go to the US..in Spain the dominicans don't do the flags and the whatever- the kids even end up losing the accent. Maye it's a US thing?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hola
I just wanted to add a different take to this..this behaviour seems only to be observed when Dominicans go to the US..in Spain the dominicans don't do the flags and the whatever- the kids even end up losing the accent. Maye it's a US thing?

I think it is the other way around.

This thread is about Dominicans from the US visiting DR!!!!!

Correct me if I am wrong.

miguelspencer

Jan 31, 2008
I think this post opens a Pandora's Box. Rarely people mess with the dom-yorks. And I agree. I feel awkward being around people in other countries than DR feel sooooo dominican.

Swdee

Jul 23, 2008
have you guys ever thought that maybe these dom-yorks feel the need to make-up for the fact that they are away from the homeland??? we are in a country where we are always around different cultures, and many of us are afraid of losing ours, of not being thought of as dominicans.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
have you guys ever thought that maybe these dom-yorks feel the need to make-up for the fact that they are away from the homeland??? we are in a country where we are always around different cultures, and many of us are afraid of losing ours, of not being thought of as dominicans.

What i see is a lot of people not wanting to intergrate the mainstream sociaty, the melting pot is no longer melting.

Dominican/American living in Atlanta here

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Hola

It?s NOT a US thing only, in Spain they are a LOT wrose that in the state. Have any of you ever walk in the Cuatro Caminos area in Spain, it looks like a barrio of in DR, you see women in rollos yelling eachother trash, walking in calizos, (sandals). Dominican in Europe live a lot wrose than Dominican in the US.