What or who do you have to pay to get water??

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
It has been 3 weeks since we have had any water delivery from Coraplata. They keep saying oh yes today we will turn the valves and send the water.
Not yet!
First because nobody was paying their bills, valid point. Bills paid!
Now we are not sure if we haven't "paid" the wrong people.
Is it because we are a lot of gringos?? All nationalities live here but Spanish is not our first language.
Someone from our area has been to the Coraplata office everyday!!! Yes every single day for at least 3 weeks.
I can deal with the electric outage, and the increase in crimes as we near Christmas, but really I simply can't make do with having no water. It is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! The complacency level that settles in after a few years of living here with well it'll do, or it's OK, or hey I just got ripped off again, surprises and annoys me, when I find myself doing it and wonder why??? However, this maybe my last straw point!!! First we have to pay them for water they don't deliver and now it looks like we are going to have to pay to have someone deliver water.
I just want to do laundry, dishes, floors and a shower would probably not hurt either, although there is always the Ocean I guess!!!! Yep you guessed it La Mulata 1......... just another day in Paradise!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i read "who do you have to do" to get water. hmm... sometimes coraaplata does not deliver full stop. if you have a cistern i suggest getting a truck full of water. keep the track of all the conversations with coraaplata: names, dates, times. better still if there is any paperwork trail. you may try to poke proconsumidor to see if they can do something: ProConsumidor | Web Site

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Live in POP??? I hear you! in 3 weeks time we had no water off/on for about 15 days..we all chipped in for water trucks, but in between I was lucky enough to have a steady drip from my shower.. Placed a few 6 gal jugs under it which took about 2 hours each to fill, but it worked...Before I knew it, had 5 jugs full, was able to wash some dishes, flush the toilet, take a bucket shower...Guess we should start selling the no water survival kits...1 bucket, 5 (6gal plastic jugs) 1 sponge, Q mas??

Overall, the water trucks cost 1,500 but no idea how many gallons the y provided

I would check around your place, see if you have any water at all, use a bucket or jug..

It has been 3 weeks since we have had any water delivery from Coraplata. They keep saying oh yes today we will turn the valves and send the water.
Not yet!
First because nobody was paying their bills, valid point. Bills paid!
Now we are not sure if we haven't "paid" the wrong people.
Is it because we are a lot of gringos?? All nationalities live here but Spanish is not our first language.
Someone from our area has been to the Coraplata office everyday!!! Yes every single day for at least 3 weeks.
I can deal with the electric outage, and the increase in crimes as we near Christmas, but really I simply can't make do with having no water. It is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! The complacency level that settles in after a few years of living here with well it'll do, or it's OK, or hey I just got ripped off again, surprises and annoys me, when I find myself doing it and wonder why??? However, this maybe my last straw point!!! First we have to pay them for water they don't deliver and now it looks like we are going to have to pay to have someone deliver water.
I just want to do laundry, dishes, floors and a shower would probably not hurt either, although there is always the Ocean I guess!!!! Yep you guessed it La Mulata 1......... just another day in Paradise!!!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
For rainwater you would need to build a system to cleanse it. You need to have a "diverter" valve that dumps the first part of the rainfall as that contains the most contaminants. Then filter the rest. It can be a do-it-yourself setup, but it's a must.

Feb 7, 2007
Water trucks at 1500? jeez those are expensive. They cost here 400 pesos in Higuey but yeah, its because of competition because that's the only way to get water. Once the public water gets turned on early next year, most of these guys will most likely be out of business and the few that will be left will certainly rack up their prices for situations when public water will be out...

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Our neighbors and I have not gotten water from Cooraplata in over two years.
Needless to say, we stopped paying and have water delivered by truck.
When I asked my lawyer to speak to them, their response was they would accept half of the outstanding bill to resolve the matter. When we declined, they threatened to "SHUT OFF OUR WATER".
My wife and I both laughed at them and left.
I'm not sure which is worse, their incompetence or their arrogance.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
water truck at 1500 pesos? are you sure it was not gasoline? last time i checked a truck of water in POP was under 500 pesos.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Glad you can laugh at them... yep pay the bill for getting no water, or we will shut off your water!!! Sounds very familiar. I think it is a coin toss, incompetence/arrogance.. probably depends on my mood which is worse.
We did get some water from them finally, see when it comes again.
Trucks in our area are costing 1 peso per gallon!!! Seems to be the best deal we can negotiate, but maybe we aren't good at it... lol

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Spicedwhine,

People who have been here a while know that the water supply is erratic and La Mulata in general seems to suffer more than most areas.
At the lower levels ( La Mulata1 ) Corraaplata tends to supply those areas although many houses have wells as well! Higher up many developments and individual houses have wells but with the lack of Hurricanes and Tropical Storms this year has caused a considerable diffciency of 26 inchs of rainfall campared to the annual average of 114 inches here. This is quite a shortfall and the water levels in many wells in that area have fallen causing problems higher up in La Mulata.

If you are a “renter” them perhaps the “Agent” or “Owner” did not let you know about this problem and you might want to talk to the to see if they can add their weight to solving the problem .

In La Mulata III , water problems have only recently been solved by the action of a few owners who replaced the pump and electrical system for their well near Panarama Village at considerable cost to themselves.
It is perhaps a good example of a community pulling together.

Also most houses have cisterns and a number at the higher levels in La Mulata have rainwater collection systems so the suggestions in Post #5 are good but expensive. If you are renting it is not always possible to make such changes.

If you are renting it is suggested you contact your “Agent” , especially if they did not tell you about this problem.
If you are an owner, you should look at the other alternatives of a well or rainfall collection.

This problem ( erratic water supply )is not going away any time soon but at least you have a trickle!

Olly and the Team

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
The best thing you can do is you or a couple of neighbors drill your own well. Connect some filters and UV system and you will be able to drink the tap water.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
We collect rain water from the roof directly into the cistern. We filter it before it goes into the cistern. I too have gone to the water department and refused to pay. I said I'll pay when I get water, or give me a credit until you can deliver the water. They said no it would be better if you paid every month. I said will you pay my bill. They said I'm not going to pay your bill cause I'm not getting your water. I said thats right neither am I. Would you pay for something you aren't getting? No was the reply. #@%$@#$$@@#$