What profits are made on beer sales?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
So as not to drag away from the OP, I created an Everything Beer thread. Feel free to stop in, pull up a chair, and have a cold one....of your choice. I'd like to hear more about the Belgian beer experience.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I buy a large Presidente at for 100 pesos. How much profit do they make?

I am aware of the actual cost of presidente bought from the weekly company delivery in the campo five years back. My ex esposas cousin has a bar and at that time the pequeno was bought for 39rd and typically sold for 60rd. The grande was 50rd or k51rd and sold for 75rd or 80rd and the jumbo 70 something and sold for 90 to 100rd then. The bars win from beer sales in the campo. The margin from a bottle of rum with service....ice and sift ...is low. Bars in the campo struggle without food which makes money. Colmados work bars rarely do.

It is a well oiled machine that Presidente have. Guy comes around early week takes orders and cash. Wagon comes a few days later and delivers the goods. Deposits paid on cases and bottles too.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am aware of the actual cost of presidente bought from the weekly company delivery in the campo five years back. My ex esposas cousin has a bar and at that time the pequeno was bought for 39rd and typically sold for 60rd. The grande was 50rd or k51rd and sold for 75rd or 80rd and the jumbo 70 something and sold for 90 to 100rd then. The bars win from beer sales in the campo. The margin from a bottle of rum with service....ice and sift ...is low. Bars in the campo struggle without food which makes money. Colmados work bars rarely do.

It is a well oiled machine that Presidente have. Guy comes around early week takes orders and cash. Wagon comes a few days later and delivers the goods. Deposits paid on cases and bottles too.

with that kind of mark up...I am not surprised that most bars close

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I know just two, the 650 and a jumbo, but I live in a campo you might be able to buy many more different sizes..

Sent from my sofa using the internet.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
It is just what people make of it. If you are alone and drink Hoegaarden on a terrace 90% of the belgians say you are a Jeanette or pajaro, gay. Hoegaarden is for gays or girls.

Why do you embarrass yourself in public, with less than intelligent comments?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Still waiting on a valuable contribution from the only active Dominican Republic bartender/bar manager/bar-back within this forum to add his in-house professional opinion to the thread. He probably has the best answer.

I'm not as active as I used to be but I'm a bar owner in Santiago.. Beer costs and margins are actually really interesting. Our bar only sells small presidentes (pequeñas) for 125 pesos with tax included, our cost is 53 pesos because of some specials that they offer based on volume. On Thursdays, we sell them for 60 pesos with tax included and it becomes a loss leader (considering ITBIS, overhead etc). The reason why the prices are interesting to me is that the large bottle Presidentes (Grande, not jumbo) only cost 58 pesos vs 53 pesos for the small, and have like 30% more beer inside. This indicates that the actual cost of the liquid inside is only a very small part of the cost of a beer. Cans of beer are also more expensive than bottles and have the same amount of liquid. Cans are 75 pesos from the distributor I believe. As someone already stated, I'd assume 80% of the cost of a beer is bottling, advertising, and distribution.

Another interesting off the topic thing that happens sometimes, we have received presidente bottles with stella artois caps, with stella artois inside instead of presidente.. which indicates that it's all manufactured in the same place!