What status, documentation , ID, or other, allows a "Haitian" to reside in the DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am 100% confused on this question. By that I mean, when we are deporting we are talking about illegals. That brings to mind:

1. What docs are they missing? Wasn't a visa along with their Haitian pp sufficient ? (That was presented to me a number of times when I needed help in my mini-farm)
2. When the DR does a roundup I assume they do it by profiling...looks, area they are in, etc. Correct?
3. I have only been in the midst of a roundup once. The police came up on a guy, he ran, they caught him and he was put in the truck with a bunch of others and there was no further resistance. Will that all change now with the focus on Luis' mandate?
4. Who are the Haitians that are legal? How/when did they acquire that status? (Those that are currently living here.)
5. How often do they get caught up in the roundup?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Visas are only valid for a specific amount of time and most Haitians don't have visas.

Dominicans can spot a Haitian a mile away. Just ask one. All black people do not look the same.

Read about the PNRE. That's how many Haitians are legally here.

Reactions: chicagoan14

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are literally 10's of thousands of legal Haitians here in the DR. For the most part they know who they are.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Visas are only valid for a specific amount of time and most Haitians don't have visas.

Dominicans can spot a Haitian a mile away. Just ask one. All black people do not look the same.

You have any numbers that might help me to understand?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There are literally 10's of thousands of legal Haitians here in the DR. For the most part they know who they are.
That sounds right me to me as in the case of the border with Mexico you can spot a subject from a mile away.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You mean the ones that were legalized under the PNRE? I don't remember, but it was a lot.
It was an exuberant amount. I participated in this process and had to handle my case in San Fran. de Marcoris. I was in line with an ocean of Haitians both times I was scheduled to return. The staff and workers were going above and beyond to accommodate them whereas yours truly, the gringo, had to fork over the chelitos to "help" the process along. 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes plenty of legal Haitians. Many with visas who can not get their stamps needed monthly.
The border closure is now making illegals out of the legal ones

Reactions: drstock

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes plenty of legal Haitians. Many with visas who can not get their stamps needed monthly.
I think you're referring to work visas, no? Why can't they get their visas renewed if they're legitimately working?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Dominicans can spot (most) Haitian(s) a mile away. Just ask one. All black people do not look the same.

I fixed it for you. Dominicans can spot most Haitians because there are particular looks that are more common among Haitians than Dominicans, but most doesn't mean all. There are many Haitians that don't have the "Haitian look" and unless they open their mouth, no one would think they are Haitians. In the same token, there are some Dominicans and non-Haitian foreigners (mostly African Americans) that may have the "Haitian look" or mixed with Haitian when in fact they have nothing to do with Haitians and/or Haiti present and past. The last part is ironic, when a Dominican (not descendant of Haitians) people might think is Haitian or mixed with Haitians when that is not the case, but some of the actual Haitians that "look Dominican" the last thing people would think of them is that they could have a Haiti connection. Dominicans are humans after all and committing errors from time to time comes with the package.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I fixed it for you. Dominicans can spot most Haitians because there are particular looks that are more common among Haitians than Dominicans, but most doesn't mean all. There are many Haitians that don't have the "Haitian look" and unless they open their mouth, no one would think they are Haitians. In the same token, there are some Dominicans and non-Haitian foreigners (mostly African Americans) that may have the "Haitian look" or mixed with Haitian when in fact they have nothing to do with Haitians and/or Haiti present and past. The last part is ironic, when a Dominican (not descendant of Haitians) people might think is Haitian or mixed with Haitians when that is not the case, but some of the actual Haitians that "look Dominican" the last thing people would think of them is that they could have a Haiti connection. Dominicans are humans after all and committing errors from time to time comes with the package.
I don't know about you up in Rhode Island? Wherever, but raised in Jersey living in NYC and DR for so many years, I am 100 million and zip identifying nationalities. I guess it's a gift. There, I fixed it for you.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I really don't appreciate you "fixing" my posts. I like it just the way it is. Isn't there a rule here against that? Of course, there's always going to be exceptions just as there always seems to be posters that like to nitpick and troll others posts.

If there's any doubt by Migracion about the "looks", all the suspected Haitian has to do is start to talk and, even if they speak Spanish, their accent will give them away. And just so you don't nitpick again, there's maybe 0.1% of foreigners that can speak Spanish with a flawless Dominican accent.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't know about you up in Rhode Island? Wherever, but raised in Jersey living in NYC and DR for so many years, I am 100 million and zip identifying nationalities. I guess it's a gift. There, I fixed it for you.
If I was given a penny everytime people guessed wrong where I could be from, right now it should be in the millions. lol

You should see their eyebrows going up once they know the truth.

One of the benefits is that if people don't know and no one else looks the part, they will begin to say things in front of you that they would never say in front of a Dominican. Eye opening... Those are the things they say when the Dominicans are outside the rooms, except they don't know what they don't know.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
If I was given a penny everytime people guessed wrong where I could be from, right now it should be in the millions. lol

You should see their eyebrows going up once they know the truth.

One of the benefits is that if people don't know and no one else looks the part, they will begin to say things in front of you that they would never say in front of a Dominican. Eye opening... Those are the things they say when the Dominicans are outside the rooms, except they don't know what they don't know.
Your knowledge of cultures and peoples is remarkable.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I really don't appreciate you "fixing" my posts. I like it just the way it is. Isn't there a rule here against that? Of course, there's always going to be exceptions just as there always seems to be posters that like to nitpick and troll others posts.

If there's any doubt by Migracion about the "looks", all the suspected Haitian has to do is start to talk and, even if they speak Spanish, their accent will give them away. And just so you don't nitpick again, there's maybe 0.1% of foreigners that can speak Spanish with a flawless Dominican accent.
Reminds me of the time I went with an ex-girlfriend and some of her fsmily members including cousins to a resort in Puerto Plata. One night a group of them were walking on the beach and a Dominican security guard stop them all except one who was allowed to continue walking along the beach undisturbed. All were white and light skin, but the one that wasn't asked by the security guard if they were suppose to be there. He looks like a gring@. Several days later back in he family's home in La Vega, many of her cousins were visiting along with the gringo looking one. It was commented what happened as not all the cousins there went on the trip to PP. They mention everything and that he was the only one not bothered by the Dominican guard. He says with much pride and passing his hand on his hair "él creyó que era un gringo."

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Reminds me of the time I went with an ex-girlfriend and some of her fsmily members including cousins to a resort in Puerto Plata. One night a group of them were walking on the beach and a Dominican security guard stop them all except one who was allowed to continue walking along the beach undisturbed. All were white and light skin, but the one that wasn't asked by the security guard if they were suppose to be there. He looks like a gring@. Several days later back in he family's home in La Vega, many of her cousins were visiting along with the gringo looking one. It was commented what happened as not all the cousins there went on the trip to PP. They mention everything and that he was the only one not bothered by the Dominican guard. He says with much pride and passing his hand on his hair "él creyó que era un gringo."
You're entitled to your opinions but you're not entitled to "fix" my posts. If you really want to fix something, try to fix your condescending attitude.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That is what led me to posting this tread. This will be another version of catch 22. So now in the roundups hen the Haitian says here is my visa...huh, one year old?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It was an exuberant amount. I participated in this process and had to handle my case in San Fran. de Marcoris. I was in line with an ocean of Haitians both times I was scheduled to return. The staff and workers were going above and beyond to accommodate them whereas yours truly, the gringo, had to fork over the chelitos to "help" the process along. 🤔
try excessive..........

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
That is what led me to posting this tread. This will be another version of catch 22. So now in the roundups hen the Haitian says here is my visa...huh, one year old?
That is the issue. It used to be that we could wait 88 or so days to renew the visa at Pedernales. It was a 2500 peso fine but worth it because of savings of time and money. Now that is not the case. My kid got stopped in the car a couple of weeks ago and had to pay 1000 peso bribe to get released, and he was only about 1 week overdue on getting his visa stamped.