What to do in Jarabacoa

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
Hello!

My parents are coming out from the UK to visit me soon, which I am really looking forward to. However, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to do with them here. They are not at all interested in lying on the beach, and they don't cope very well with the heat, so one of my ideas was a trip to Jarabacoa to enjoy the cooler temperatures there.

I've booked to stay at Hotel Gran Jimenoa, so I know we can enjoy sitting by the river there, and I know we can also drive then walk to Salto Jimenoa and Salto Baiguate, but do you have any other tips or ideas for things to do there? My parents don't want to do adventure sports (even horseriding is too "risky") and they don't play golf, but they are only in their 50s and very fit and healthy, and they do enjoy light hiking. Does anyone know of any easy-moderate trails in the area, or more specifically how to find a guide who could go with us, since I'm sure we'd get lost otherwise. Any other restaurants/cafes with good views? Something I haven't thought of at all?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Kiboko

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Unless it's changed radically in the last 10 yrs, the horsebacking riding and whitewater rafting in Jarabacoa are anything but risky, but they are enjoyable. Some great vistas.

How about visiting Julia Alvarez's organic coffee finca? I hear it's quite nice.

It's been a long time (too long!) since I was last in Jarabacoa, but I used to enjoy just sitting in the main plaza with an Helados Bon chatting with the locals and people watching. Some of the nicest Dominicans I've ever met. Never treated me like a tourist (which I wasn't, I lived in the DR at the time and spoke fluent Spanish, but on N Coast, Boca Chica, Bayahibe, etc most Dominicans still assumed I was a tourist and talked to me as such until they found out differently).

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
The new remodeled path to Jimenoa I waterfall (not to be confused with Jimenoa II at the hydroplant) is extremely nice and worth visiting. Admission fee is 100 Pesos a person. That includes a bottle of water and the service of a tourguide.
From the Shellstation it is located about 4 Miles in the direction of Constanza.

Also you can walk up the Mogote mountain. Leave Jarabacoa in the direction to Manabao. Right after the little village of Pinar Quemado is a sign.

If you want to eat out I can recommend David's new restaurant. He had the "Parillada" before. His new restaurant is located in the short road that connects La Avenida Norberto Tiburcio with the mainroad going to La Vega.Not to be confused with the place opposite from the Car-rental. It is located after the Car-rental not on the other side of the street.

J

John Evans

aha ...the path is back ..i asked several times about it but nobody answered- when i visted it the path had been washed away and the view was not good from the road lol...but we managed the second waterfall on the road to constanza although i had to push my partner back up to the top

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The new remodeled path to Jimenoa I waterfall (not to be confused with Jimenoa II at the hydroplant) is extremely nice and worth visiting. Admission fee is 100 Pesos a person. That includes a bottle of water and the service of a tourguide.
From the Shellstation it is located about 4 Miles in the direction of Constanza.

Also you can walk up the Mogote mountain. Leave Jarabacoa in the direction to Manabao. Right after the little village of Pinar Quemado is a sign.

If you want to eat out I can recommend David's new restaurant. He had the "Parillada" before. His new restaurant is located in the short road that connects La Avenida Norberto Tiburcio with the mainroad going to La Vega.Not to be confused with the place opposite from the Car-rental. It is located after the Car-rental not on the other side of the street.

Very good restaurant - clean and good Dominican food-price is good also. Visit the coffee factory and cigar place. Tim is Magote a reasonable short hike?
Mogote.com - comunidad jarabacoense en el internet (we'll be back soon)

Tour Por Jarabacoa

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
El Buen Sabor, next to the heladoria? Very, very good, great food, generous portions and nicely priced. Highly recommend.

The parillada across the street, Albierto's, I think, is also good.

Both are just blocks from what we now call Camp Moto, my house, on Norberto Tiburcio.:classic:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
El Buen Sabor, next to the heladoria? Very, very good, great food, generous portions and nicely priced. Highly recommend.

The parillada across the street, Albierto's, I think, is also good.

Both are just blocks from what we now call Camp Moto, my house, on Norberto Tiburcio.:classic:
Too late to edit. I meant the Parillida, not Albierto's.

J

John Evans

i got confused with jimenoa 1 and 2 .... so is the path with bridges back or not at the hydroplant waterfall (4th time lucky)

J

John Evans

that doesnt answer the question:squareeye they were washed away the last time i went - i was wondering if they had been rebuilt- i guess im going to have to go back to see

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
"En Jarabacoa esta dios...."

I hate hiking so I don't know what trails. When I don't spent time at my Uncles Summer House I usually just drive around and look at all the Chalets up there. You have ALOT of nice houses over there and Jarabacoa is just as beautiful as the English countryside. Maybe even more so.

rcarson74587

Apr 29, 2008
i've heard there is a good new restaurant up on the jamaca de dios project (out past la colonia)... i've heard the food is good (i haven't eaten there yet), but i have been up there and i know the view is breathtaking.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Hydroplant Waterfall with the bridges = Jimenoa II

No Bridges--camino Constanza (backside of Jimenoa 2) = Jimenoa I

Jimenoa I is fully repaired and should be great. It is an easy hike.

Jimenoa is II is great too, but what goes down must come up. It is quite a hike back up. The trail is marked for plants and has some point of interest signs in multiple languages. This is a community effort to bring tourism, three cheers for that!

Both have entrance fees, but are cheap.

Hamaca de Dios housing project has a resaurant. It is excellent and the view of the valley is incredible. I took my folks there when they visited the DR. It is open Thursday through Sunday. On the weekends you can watch hang-gliders descending into Jarabacoa valley.

I have never climbed Magote, but I here it is very steep and seriously slippery if it has rained in the last few days.

Hope that helps.

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Can anyone tell me how to get to Jarabacoa. I am currently staying at Camp David and I would like to take a day trip into the country. I would be greatful for any assistance.
Thank you

gibbs

May 31, 2005
There is also a fantastic coffee shop in el centro. I don't remember the name but my wife dragged me there twice a day for cappuccino's.