What To Do With the Body?

Mar 21, 2002
To all the foreigners don't do a thing. The locals will dress you up and attempt to marry your corpse in order to leave the country. Just leave it up to Dominican ingenuity and they'll find a use for your MORTAL REMAINS.

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
been a year & a half

since the pregunta, so may I ask for a current answer????
is cremation available here in the DR?
National Cremation Society "offers" travel insurance, if a person dies where no cremation is available, for a per mile fee, you can have your body shipped there to be cremated, and then the "cremains" will be shipped to your designee (but how could they check to see if it was really you, eh?)
peace to US all this week.....

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
What's wrong with

being buried like everyone else? It's simple and fast. 24 hrs. is perfect for a tropical country. Save money and have it at home like many people still do.
Now, Chirimoya, don't you have relatives in DR.? It seems to me you have lived there long enough and know how things work. You don't have to have a religious ceremony if you tell your relatives about your wishes. I believe in being buried right in the place you have chosen as your home. Funeral and burial costs must be way cheaper in DR than anywhere in the US. Over here dying is extremely expensive. You have to save in advance for it. Of course, cremation is less expensive and quicker but, since it is not practiced in the DR and funeral and burial costs are not that great, go like everyone else. Your friends, neighbors and people you hardly knew in life, will attend your wake and will let everybody know what a wonderful person you really were. If you don't have relatives nearby, dominican women will cry for you, some will be overcome with grief. Just make sure there is plenty of coffee, rum or whatever is served on those occasions in the DR when, for a short period, lots of people will come face to face with their own mortality. I like the traditional way. Of course, I am Latin and that is my perspective.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
That's right

Cremation is offered by Funeraria Blandino- it's listed under servicios- as well as repatriation of the body!

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
the dominican way way is traditional

In West Virginia up until around 1950 when someone died they never left the mountaintop. My grandmother would place a cloth soked in soda water over the face of the corpse until just before burial so that it would not get micolored. The family dug the grave and my grandfather would built a casket out of the wood stored in the barn. The hardware for the casket was available in the hardware store. To this day every grave is dug by family and filled in. It was the embalming regulations that made a funeral home a requirment.
John