What Vaccinations needed in the DR?

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
Hi Ladies and Gents,

What Vaccinations should we have before living in the DR?

Thanks for your anticipated responses!

Inc :glasses:

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
1) Tuberculosis
2) Measles
3) Tetanus (or DPT)
4) Polio (or DPT)
5) Hepatitis A
6) Hepatitis B
7) flu shot in the late fall, if needed, but you can get that here in the DR

Did I forget any? (and forget Malaria pills, you don't need them)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
My wife is a nurse, works with, World Health Asso.. The list is correct. You might not need them but we have had the shots. Better to be safe.

lili4ever

Jan 22, 2008
my fianc? who lives in Santo Domingo just got over the malarya....he was quite sick!!! He got me worried so much. He spent a day in the hospital getting re-hydrated and more....

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Take the precaution of all vacines you could get however don't go with the mind that you are going to get sick. There is a lot that you can do and enjoy. Do you know anyone that could take you around or are you going on your own? Go to el bohio web page and there they have a list of places to go and thing to do in DR.

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Add typhoid

We got oral typhoid vaccination before moving here. We were very thankful when there was an outbreak of typhoid fever here in Jarabacoa among North Americans last fall.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Re: malaria prophylaxis...

WHO and the US CDC do NOT recommend taking malaria prophylaxis pills UNLESS you are visiting Bavaro/Punta Cana or the Haitian boarder area. Yes, it IS possible to get malaria in another area but the RISKS of the antibiotic such as Cipro taken as a preventive outweigh the benefits. Not to mention the fact that even if you are taking prophylaxis there is no guarantee that you won't get malaria if exposed; in fact, you might be more willing to delay care if you think you've covered yourself. If you want to have a prescription filled and BRING it, that is another story altogether. The orphanage accepts donations of unused antibiotics brought down for this purpose all the time. PM me if you have any;)

Smart travelers will protect themselves from mosquitoes because this will assist in the prevention of both Dengue and Malaria. The risk of contracting Dengue here is much greater than Malaria. Of course if you are traveling to Bavaro/Punta Cana or the Haitian boarder, heed the recommendations for anti-malarials and NOTE that the use of asprin for cardiovascular disease prevention is contra-indicated in areas where malaria is of high risk.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We got oral typhoid vaccination before moving here. We were very thankful when there was an outbreak of typhoid fever here in Jarabacoa among North Americans last fall.

I have copy of records of all deaths in Jarabacoa from 1930-1980 AND MOST DEATHS OTHERS THAN OLD AGE were Gastroenteritis, bronchitis, Cholera, and hepatitis. What was your water source - typhoid is not common in Jarabacoa anymore.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How available are HEP A/B vaccines, and what is the cost @ a local clinic?
They want over $500 in NYC for the series, and insurance does not cover them.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Tamborista: I know that in the Capital Cl?nica Gomez Patina and UCE have them. They only do vaccination clinics during the week (and they take a siesta-style lunch). I've sent several of our long term volunteers to Gomez Patina...'can't recall how much they paid because we've had various volunteers get combi, then some only a second Hep A and others a whole series of 3 Hep Bs. For the Hep B in adults (as I recall, the vaccine was licensed in 1991 and kids born from then on in the US at least were vaccinated at birth and with follow-ups) you need 3 shots and the first two are usually given a month apart with the third to follow after 6 mo. This schedule can be modified to one month apart for 'urgent' situations.

There are free vaccination clinics in the barrios (e.g. "barrio Juan Dolio's vaccination clinic across the street from the Casa Blanca in Old JD) but you need a residency card. I have had foreign nationals with res cards/cedulas tell me that they've been turned away at the free clinics. The actual vaccine card for adults that one receives STATES that the vaccines and cards are to be given FREE (but they aren't at the private clinics even though they give you the same card.)

I'll see if anyone remembers the prices. Are we talking about combo a/b or one or the other?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am still immune to HEP A, I just need a B booster. I had the series of 3 for A/B in 2004.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
'Forgot to mention where the SD clinics are located:
La Cl?nica Gomez Patina is on Independencia just East of Maximo Gomez
UCE is on Maximo Gomez between 27th and the Malecon (close to the US consulate.)

There are probably more...at Plaza de la Salud for example.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Hep B booster?

I am still immune to HEP A, I just need a B booster. I had the series of 3 for A/B in 2004.

Tamborista: Did your doctor tell you that you needed a Hep B (Hb) booster? If you have already had a series of 3 timed appropriately you shouldn't need another one. Take a look at the US CDC link for adult vaccination schedules. The thing is that I'm not terribly familiar with the combi-Heb A & B protocol. By your statement of immunity to A, I'm thinking that you might have determined your titre, in which case if it was recommended, by all means do have it.

Vaccines: Recs/Schedules/Adult Schedule main page

If I'm recalling correctly (I haven't confirmed this with those I've referred) the single shot price for Hep B was 600 pesos at Gomez Patina--probably the last person I sent was 5 months ago.

Let me know if you have questions about any of those listed in the CDC website (those I AM familiar with).
Paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

Last edited: