What Would it Take / To Pull Up Stakes ? (Water Shortage)

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Basically it was a lovely idea but really badly built. Terrible architecture, the architect should be strung up. And part of that was that they didn't provide a big enough well for the development. And the developer set the maintenance charges are rock bottom, to sell the units. So you get cheapjack administration with zero budget. A lot of units bought by people who live in the US and just wanted to make money doing AirBnB. The bottom has dropped out of the AirBnB market, interest rates have gone up and now there's no water most of the time. So none of these owners want to put their hands in their pockets to come up with a solution. It ends up a complete mess.
Thanks Maria. I suspected every thing you point out above. It's not an uncommon practice BTW in any country. It happens.
Hopefully the developers held on to a number of the units and they too will need to dig into their pockets to save the whole big kahuna.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In NanSanPedro's case the well pump should provide enough pressure to fill his tinaco. When I lived in Andres we had water two times per week provided by CORAABO at the house and had a large tinaco on the roof. The water pressure was horrible. We used a 1/2 hp pump to fill the tinaco. New they run about 3000 to 5000 pesos depending on the brand/quality.
Nan is sitting between a rock and a hard place... albeit, dry and sweaty. Nan, does the landlord also live at that location?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I think they are looking at quite a lot of money for the number of wells that a complex of 200 apartments needs. I seem to remember someone saying US$ 20,000 but I may be wrong.
If that number is correct...that would be the BEST $100 per apartment investment the owners could make. (IMHO of course since it's not my money).

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
$20K for all the wells? That's only $100 per owner(?).

Maybe I got it wrong. My people are only renting so they aren't involved in the loop, but the administration is begging all the owners to contribute what they can afford so that the wells can be dug. I will try to find out what it is going to cost.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Maybe I got it wrong. My people are only renting so they aren't involved in the loop, but the administration is begging all the owners to contribute what they can afford so that the wells can be dug. I will try to find out what it is going to cost.
No, I think what you wrote could be understood as "cost per well". Perhaps was is missing in the equation is (How many more wells are needed?).

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Nan is sitting between a rock and a hard place... albeit, dry and sweaty. Nan, does the landlord also live at that location?
No, but she lives close by in Boca Chica. She was living in the capital somewhere but couldn't take it. I think she lives with her mom and maybe her little sister. But I like AE's suggestion about the tinaco. We have a trusted electrician/plumber/handyman who can tell us if there is enough power in the pump to raise the water to roof level. Given that we have a 1/2 bath upstairs, I doubt the extra few feet would matter, but I can't be sure.

Reactions: johne

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How does the tinaco get filled?

We have pipes to the tinaco (on roof) that feed it when there’s electricity. There’s a check valve to stop it from overflowing. Ours is 550 gallons, but they come bigger and smaller.