What would you have done in this situation?

May 29, 2006
Be glad you still have your wallet and write it off. If that's the worst that happens you should consider the trip a win.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know i'd be tempted to kick the thief and the driver in the nuts. maybe even repeatedly. but alas, that would not end well. so i would be grateful i have my wallet back and maybe to some wishful thinking on a way home involving karma giving those guys a nice dick twist... and pull...

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
i know i'd be tempted to kick the thief and the driver in the nuts. maybe even repeatedly. but alas, that would not end well. so i would be grateful i have my wallet back and maybe to some wishful thinking on a way home involving karma giving those guys a nice dick twist... and pull...

Repeatedly? :cool: lol

"R"

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You've been watching too much CDN my friend, trying to argue like a Dominican, with Dominicans and accusing them of stealing is likely to get your a$$ kicked, at best. One thing to stand and argue the toss when you understand the local mentality towards accusations of thieving, another thing to be in the middle of the street surrounded by natives accusing someone when you don't know how people are likely to react, and I figure you don't know how things spiral as you have been very lucky.
Take your ID and bank cards, be thankful you are not stranded for a week with no funds while a renewal arrives. And most of all be thankful you didn't get your a$$ kicked.
Now chill out and stop with the scenes of drama, leave that to the real crazies, the ones that are covered in machete scars and glass eyes. Bringing attention to yourself here is ALWAYS disasterous.

If I had witnessed it I'd have probably thought just another drunken gringo, just left a cabana and didn't check his wallet before saying farwell to Rosalita!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Didn't you ever see the "Polish Sex Manual"?????
1. Insert.
2. Remove.
3. Repeat if needed.
I'd like to try the "Twist".
Maybe Chubby Checker had something there.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"C,mon Bay Be, let's do the "Twist"!

Dec 26, 2011
If I had witnessed it I'd have probably thought just another drunken gringo, just left a cabana and didn't check his wallet before saying farwell to Rosalita!

:hurt: What's her last name?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Didn't you ever see the "Polish Sex Manual"?????
1. Insert.
2. Remove.
3. Repeat if needed.
I'd like to try the "Twist".
Maybe Chubby Checker had something there.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"C,mon Bay Be, let's do the "Twist"!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To quote Shakespeare........

This is much ado about nothing.....

We have all stupidly forgotten things..... you're lucky you got anything back.....
Think how miserable you'd be w/ no wallet

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Hi,
here's the story: I was in a carrito alone on the back seat. There was another passenger on the passenger seat. I got out and noticed that I somehow forgot my wallet inside of the car. I jumped on the next mototaxi and followed the carrito. It took some time to reach the carrito since I did not notice it right away.
I told the driver to stop and he did. I told him that I forgot my wallet, opened the back door and there it was. I was pretty happy so I just took it and the driver drove off immediately. Then I noticed that my money was missing (100 USD and 400 Pesos). The rest was still there. I followed and stopped the carrito again.
I asked him where my money was. He said he doesn't know anything and confirmed the fact that after me noone else enter the car on the back seat... So it was pretty obvious. The guy on the passenger seat got out of the car and got aggressive asking if I was calling him a thief... It was going back and forth a little because both the driver and the passenger said that they have nothing to do with it. One reason they told me was, if they had stolen it for real they would have thrown away the wallet and would not have left it in the car, which is not a valid argument.
It was at night and there were some dominicans coming over, listening to the argument. I was telling everyone was happening, not saying that the actually stole it, I just asked everyone how 100 dollars could just disappear. Not a single guy said "well, they obviously stole it!" they rather did not say anything or even said "well, be happy that your ID and other stuff is still in there". sure, I am happy, but it's in my opinion very sad that no-one was willing to help me at all in this totally obvious situation, except for the mototaxi driver, who was my opinion...
Well, I wanted to go to the police with both, but the passenger just left while I was talking to the driver. Finally we (the driver and me) drove together to the police station. As I expected they just told me that I was my fault, since I left my wallet inside. Sure it was my fault at some point, but since it was so obvious that they (the driver and passenger) took the money, they could have done something. They driver confirmed the story as I told it (I was the only passenger on the backseat and after me noone entered nor left the vehicle), but of course always said that he had nothing to do with it.
My idea now was, assuming that the police here is quite corrupt, that they did not want ME to help, because they knew that they would get some money from the driver.
If that is true, I assume that the driver knew that this was going to happen. Therefore I had the idea that I might have gotten at least the 50 USD the driver took, by telling him on the way, that I would say on the police station that there were 300 USD in my wallet! This way he would have to bribe the police according to the amount of 150 USD stolen, not 50...
What do you think?

Just to make this clear: I'm not crying or very angry because I lost 100 dollars. Of course it's sad, but what actually makes me sad is that they stole at all in the first place and that no one of the dominicans coming to see what was going on were helping. Why do they support thiefs?
And the second thing about the police and the bribe I'm just curious if you think that would have worked?

Oh for heavens sakes STOP whining

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Such a sad story....and it so easily could have been avoided. Invest in a European carry-all.
All the best people are doing it.

[video=youtube;-d_VAWyCFE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-d_VAWyCFE8[/video]

Hi,
here's the story: I was in a carrito alone on the back seat. There was another passenger on the passenger seat. I got out and noticed that I somehow forgot my wallet inside of the car. I jumped on the next mototaxi and followed the carrito. It took some time to reach the carrito since I did not notice it right away.
I told the driver to stop and he did. I told him that I forgot my wallet, opened the back door and there it was. I was pretty happy so I just took it and the driver drove off immediately. Then I noticed that my money was missing (100 USD and 400 Pesos). The rest was still there. I followed and stopped the carrito again.
I asked him where my money was. He said he doesn't know anything and confirmed the fact that after me noone else enter the car on the back seat... So it was pretty obvious. The guy on the passenger seat got out of the car and got aggressive asking if I was calling him a thief... It was going back and forth a little because both the driver and the passenger said that they have nothing to do with it. One reason they told me was, if they had stolen it for real they would have thrown away the wallet and would not have left it in the car, which is not a valid argument.
It was at night and there were some dominicans coming over, listening to the argument. I was telling everyone was happening, not saying that the actually stole it, I just asked everyone how 100 dollars could just disappear. Not a single guy said "well, they obviously stole it!" they rather did not say anything or even said "well, be happy that your ID and other stuff is still in there". sure, I am happy, but it's in my opinion very sad that no-one was willing to help me at all in this totally obvious situation, except for the mototaxi driver, who was my opinion...
Well, I wanted to go to the police with both, but the passenger just left while I was talking to the driver. Finally we (the driver and me) drove together to the police station. As I expected they just told me that I was my fault, since I left my wallet inside. Sure it was my fault at some point, but since it was so obvious that they (the driver and passenger) took the money, they could have done something. They driver confirmed the story as I told it (I was the only passenger on the backseat and after me noone entered nor left the vehicle), but of course always said that he had nothing to do with it.
My idea now was, assuming that the police here is quite corrupt, that they did not want ME to help, because they knew that they would get some money from the driver.
If that is true, I assume that the driver knew that this was going to happen. Therefore I had the idea that I might have gotten at least the 50 USD the driver took, by telling him on the way, that I would say on the police station that there were 300 USD in my wallet! This way he would have to bribe the police according to the amount of 150 USD stolen, not 50...
What do you think?

Just to make this clear: I'm not crying or very angry because I lost 100 dollars. Of course it's sad, but what actually makes me sad is that they stole at all in the first place and that no one of the dominicans coming to see what was going on were helping. Why do they support thiefs?
And the second thing about the police and the bribe I'm just curious if you think that would have worked?

I would have been just very happy to find my wallet. Happened to me in Montreal and the person who find it mailed it to me without the cash, but that was more than ok. Papers first! Another time, I forgot my whole bag in a classroom and that time I had a lot of money, came back and all was there.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
my late father in law went to Port au Prince many years back,on vacation. he went to breakfast, in a restaurant, and went back to his hotel. at about 2pm, he decided to go shopping. he selected some items at a nearby store, and when he tried to pay, he realized that he did not have his wallet. he went back to his hotel room, but the wallet was nowhere to be found..he went scurrying to the restaurant, and went straight to the manager to explain the disaster. he asked the manager if any of the waitresses had seen it, to which the manager replied in the negative. he then asked my pops in law if he had checked the table where he had had his breakfast. surely, right on top of the table, was the wallet, in full view. the manager told him that nobody touched it, because it was not theirs. i wonder if it is like that there today?

How long have you been living in the DR? I've been here 3 weeks and know that I would not waste my time arguing with people about taking my money and I definitely know that police would never do anything about it! I think you are actually lucky that the cab stopped and gave you your wallet back!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'd have just takeen my wallet and walked off glad that I had that much. This type of thing happens and one cannot do any good for themselves by pursueing it, I don't believe. I left my ATM card in the machine at a bank, and someone came in soon enuff after to use it to draw out 2 transactions of a bit over $300USD and then took it to a couple of gas stations that same afternoon and treated self and presumably others to a couple of hundred dollars more in gasoline, before the card blocked off and would permit no more. It has been suggested that I demand that the bank make good on the money taken, but I was the one who walked off and left my card in the damn machine.
Der Fish

how did this happen without the PIN number?